Full Marathons in the US

Options
2»

Replies

• HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    a big congratulations! for finishing a half! My half will be in June and then full in 2014. since i'm originally from boston, ma i plan on making the Boston Marathon my first full. it's the oldest marathon and it holds a special place in my heart. I was lucky enough to work down the street from the start line and also at the finish line.

Don't you have to qualify for Boston or can anyone register? I always thought it was qualifying only.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first half and for having the aspirations to do a whole next year!
    I have run 3 halves with my best time so far being 2:11. I am signed up to run the full marathon in New Orleans this February. I don't really have a time goal, just to finish without cramping too bad or getting sick...haha.. But, my coaches and I have estimated it will take me about 5 hrs.
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Awesome job on the 1/2 :)! I've heard really good things about the Chicago marathon--flat, fast--and it's in October. The last few years have been pretty warm...but it could go either way!
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Twin Cities Marathon is the first weekend in October. Absolutely beautiful course around the lakes in Minneapolis and along the Mississippi River. Great finishing view of the state Capitol.
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    Around the the most popular ones are:

09/22 Quad Cities and Omaha
    10/06 Twin Cities
    10/20 Des Moines

All have great reviews. I'm planning on doing a HM at either Omaha or Quad and the FM in Des Moines.
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    a big congratulations! for finishing a half! My half will be in June and then full in 2014. since i'm originally from boston, ma i plan on making the Boston Marathon my first full. it's the oldest marathon and it holds a special place in my heart. I was lucky enough to work down the street from the start line and also at the finish line.

Don't you have to qualify for Boston or can anyone register? I always thought it was qualifying only.

If you run for one of the Charities or have connections to some of the local running clubs you can get in without qualifying, otherwise, yes, you have to qualify to register.

http://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/participant-information/qualifying/qualifying-standards.aspx
  • HMVOL7409
    Options

If you run for one of the Charities or have connections to some of the local running clubs you can get in without qualifying, otherwise, yes, you have to qualify to register.

http://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/participant-information/qualifying/qualifying-standards.aspx

Thanks! That's what I thought bc I know people who've ran for years and qualifying is their dream.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    A really popular marathon is Portland in October. It's an easy course too.

Portland is supposed to be one of the easiest in the country ;) .
    Good for a lot of reasons, but if you set a PR there, it'll be hard to beat it at like Cincinnati!
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I have done 5 Half Marathons...4 of which I did at Disney. Disney is good...great entertainment, flat course that goes through the parks (the Full goes through all 4 parks), but there are a LOT of people (like 15,000) doing it so it can be crowded. They have lots of different Half Marathons through the year, but only on official Marathon Weekend in January do they have a Full one (and also a Goofy Challenge to do the Half and the Full in the same weekend). I've done the Half in January there in 2006, 2008, 2010 and 2012 (can you guess when I will be there to do this race next??? LOL). Two of the years it was so cold it was snowing there (well raining and below 32 degrees!) so even though it is FL, the weather there can be a guess.

I did one this past Sunday in West Palm Beach, FL (the Marathon of the Palm Beaches). They run both the Full and the Half at the same time and I think there was less than 4,00 people for both. It was a nice flat surface along the Intracoastal and the weather was WONDERFUL. I am not fast by any means, but I PR'd on this one with a 25.5 minute better finish than my previous PR (mostly due to my awesome extra training, but some due to not having to fight crowds of people during the race).

I know people who have done the Air Force one in Dayton and have heard only good things about it. I also know some who have done the Flying Pig in Cinci and I have only one word: HILLS!

Good luck!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Twin Cities Marathon is the first weekend in October. Absolutely beautiful course around the lakes in Minneapolis and along the Mississippi River. Great finishing view of the state Capitol.

This^^^

I've run it twice.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

Boston is one you must qualify for, to get a number and an official time. But, while it has about 20,000 registered runners every year (I believe that is correct), an even larger number of people run the race without a number. They just stand behind the numbered runners are at the start line, so they do not get in their way. After the numbered runners go, the un-numbered runners do.
    It is still a lot of fun.
    BTW -- in picking a marathon, I suggest one that is someplace warm: Vegas, San Diego, Miami, etc.
    My apologies to Duluth and Grandma's. I love Duluth, but really . . .
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    The Portland Oregon marathon is the second week in October. It is known for it's course support, swag, and a great course. It's relatively flat and has a great group of pacers.
  • drakechic08
    drakechic08 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I am looking at the Estes Park full in June (Colorado). There also the Rock and Roll Marathons all over the US every year and I know a lot of people that have really enjoyed them.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    There's a big beautiful full/half/8k in nov (nov 16th next year) in Richmond VA. I did the half this year and it was absolutely amazing! Doing my second half this coming weekend!
  • zsafavian
    zsafavian Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for Fall 2013, try the Marine Corps Marathon in D.C. It's not completely flat, but the scenery is great. I am a bit biased since it's my hometown. :) The Rock n' Roll marathons are pretty good first-time marathons. I did the one in Phoenix. It is as flat as you could possibly get. I think most of them are. They are very well organized, and there is a band at every mile marker. There is so much going on around you during these marathons that it really helps you get through it mentally. They have a number of them throughout the U.S. at different times of year. I think Phoenix is generally in January.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i thought i had to run a half in a certain amount of time to qualify. Ugh! i hope that's the case because i really want boston to be my first. i know it sounds stupid but to say i completed it and it was my first full marathon will be a huge accomplishment for me.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    but do i qualify by running a half or do i have to run a full? better start checking it out. i WANT a number! :)
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I've ran the Fargo marathon 3 times and plan to run it again in May. It has been ranked in the top 10 marathons in the US by Runners World for the last three years. It a flat course and the whole town comes out for the race. Its also one of the cheaper races. I've also ran Chicago this year. It was fun, but I like Fargo better.

As for training, I've always done the Hal Higdon Program. Its easy to follow and its worked for me.
  • HMVOL7409
    Options
    but do i qualify by running a half or do i have to run a full? better start checking it out. i WANT a number! :)

Check the link above that someone else posted, but I'm pretty sure it's a full by a certain deadline and you have to meet a certain time within your age bracket.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Not sure how quickly the Columbus OH marathon fills up, but many people compliment the organizers. This year's was sponsored by Nationwide Children's Hospital and each mile was dedicated to a different child hero. It is held in early October.

That is a definite possibility. I do like races for a cause.

I can personally vouch for how awesome this hospital is. We had a medically complex kid and needed some medical testing done that was not provided at our children's hospital in our state or any where near us.

We traveled from VA to OH for testing. The staff there is amazing! We spent a week on the GI floor with one of the world's leading DRs in Ped. GI motility. They were awesome, I can't say enough about them.