What do friends do?

Options
I am not soliciting friends, but I really dont understand what they do.
Do you get messages from them at lunch saying "watch what you eat" or in the evening saying "Dont forget to go to the gym"
Seriously, how do they support you?

Replies

• deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    By posting motivational stuff, by commenting when you lose weight, exercise, etc. Or by cheering you up when you are feeling hopeless and like you have hit a dead end. They are good for lots of things.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    if you make a post to your profile that youve had a bad day theyll help you through it or if you have questions you can ask them, vice versa.. theyll say "good job" if you had a good day and got in a good workout
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Well, my friends mostly give positive feedback if I workout or stay under my calorie goals, point out things I might work on like water intake, post motivational quotes and articles and tell me about their scale and non-scale victories. Some of them even tell me I'm beautiful and those ones I really adore! :heart: Everything is better with friends. ETA I guess the best thing they do is make you feel like you aren't alone in this, which becomes especially important if the people in your real life don't do it.
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I alwyas get encouragement like 'great job', 'way to go' 'your doing great', and so on..
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    For me, they're here and they make me laugh. Which makes me want to come back. And while I'm here, I may as well track something. Then I see them all working out, so I feel like a slacker, so I get off my butt and do something. My friends are the reason I've lost 60+ lbs.
  • Melaniec78
    Melaniec78 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I like being held accountable. Public shame is quite useful in keeping me motivated. They also offer much needed support and answer all my little questions that the forums would rip me to shreds for asking.
  • yustick
    yustick Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have at least 190 pounds to lose (lost 93 so far). This is a huge overwhelming life changing event. Sharing the experience with people in the same position is helpful. I'm not alone. We can complain about obstacles and rejoice in our accomplishments together, share ideas and inspire each other with our successes.
  • shrinkingislander
    shrinkingislander Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I think it is important to be positive and cheer eachother on but at the same time if I see that you are not eating very much or way over in say sodium I will ask if there is anything going on. The same thing I would do for a friend in "real" life.
  • poeco76
    poeco76 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I am not soliciting friends, but I really dont understand what they do.
    Do you get messages from them at lunch saying "watch what you eat" or in the evening saying "Dont forget to go to the gym"
    Seriously, how do they support you?

Your question seems genuine, and truthfully, I can understand where you are coming from - but, I also see the benefit of friends as others have already pointed out.

In the end, motivation has to come from within the individual - not from others, but it sure is nice to have people along the way to share your happiness, pick you up when you're feeling down, or just posting little thoughts during the day. :O)
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I must have the wrong friends.
  • wwk10
    wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I am not soliciting friends, but I really don't understand what they do. Do you get messages from them at lunch saying "watch what you eat" or in the evening saying "Don't forget to go to the gym." Seriously, how do they support you?

Nothing like having a cheerleader (when you're doing well), a listening ear (when things are rough), or someone who's 'been there, done that' (when you're having problems).
  • brittuhnay
    brittuhnay Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Friends help motivate you by commenting on your updates, accomplishments, etc encouraging you and giving you that sometimes very needed "awesome job!" or whatever. I personally find it motivating. Also, seeing other peoples' progress keeps me in line :)