Is this a good way to lose weight?

Options
This may be a stupid question but I don't know how to lose weight the right way. I can't eat super healthy all the time because I don't have the money and I live in a sorority house so I get my meals for free and I eat whatever they choose to make.

For breakfast, I'll usually have eggs with tomatos and shredded Mexican cheese.
Lunch, I'll usually have a bowl of soup or whatever I can find. I try and find the healthiest option.
For a snack, I'll have a clif bar that I get on campus.
and for dinner, it's usually a very carb loaded meal like tamales, potatos, pizza, tater tots, grilled cheese, you get the picture.

I've also been staying away from soda and sugar.

I watch my portions for dinner, of course and I'm trying to hit the gym at least 3 times a week for a couple hours.

I've lost almost 4 lbs in 2 weeks but is this an ok way to go about it? I don't want to plateau or gain the weight back.

oh and I'm also 4'10", 122 lbs and I want to be at 105.

Replies

• weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    My personal belief is that it's a good way to lose weight if it's something you can do for the rest of your life. A bad plan would be one that you have to follow that doesn't keep you satisfied and that you can't wait to stop doing when you get to goal.

Now, as far as health is concerned, I would try to make sure I'm getting adequate protein, fruits and veggies and dairy in, but that's just my personal opinion.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How many calories is it? That is what is more important that eating super clean.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Rule #1 - make sure your total cals are where they should be. Slightly over TDEE if you want to gain, slightly under if you want to lose.

Rule #2 - make sure you have good macros (search for more info on this)

Rule #3 - be patient, be honest, be consistent.

Rule #4 - see rule #3.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    The only way to lose weight is to stay in calorie deficit. Find your calorie goal for the day and stay within that goal, log everything you eat, exercise. It's best to eat as healthy as possible, but free food is free food! Make the best choices, log everything, stay consistent with that calorie goal and you'll lose!
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    How many calories is it? That is what is more important that eating super clean.

^

Besides, doesn't seem like you're doing too bad on the quality of the food till dinner. :P Just be careful on pizza, the calories sneak up quickly per slice!
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Personally I think whatever you eat is fine as long as you are within your calories. I didn't start out with healthy in mind but now a few months in, my attitude is starting to change.

As for Plateau, I have been on one for the past week and I don't think you can avoid it. I see it as the bodys way of coping with all the changes that have taken place recently. Don't stress too much about it.
  • bluechip777
    bluechip777 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    If I lost 2lb/wk eating that, i probably would eat that then. get away w/ as much as you can, cause it sucks being on the other end of things, tbh! commit some time to it, then re-*kitten* in at least a month or so...you have time and there's a million tweaks to be done. if you want something to change now, just tighten up dinner a little bit to create some more balance.

actually, i might even shoot a scoop of protein before eating dinner or w/ dinner--- i'm not seeing enough protein to go along w/ the carbs and fat., then just lower your portion of said dinner...just a thought.
  • jessym7910
    jessym7910 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips! I'm going to the gym tonight around 8:30 til it closes so I'll be there for a couple hours.