Any bike recommendations?

Options
Over the past couple months I've been losing weight, and becoming more active. Living in Colorado, I love doing anything outside. I'm now at the point where I am looking to buy a bike, and would love any and all suggestions that you wonderful people might have.

I'm looking for some sort of hybrid between a street bike and a mountain bike. Everywhere I need to go is somewhat close to me, so I will be doing a lot of biking around town. But I have always loved biking in the mountains. Nothing too intense, but definitely some light to moderate trail riding.

I'm looking at a budget of 1000-1500.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    love my trek 7.3 hybrid. easy enough for the road, sturdy enough for light to medium trails. took it on a difficult trail and the bike survived, but i had to work much, much, harder.

i at least recommend you check it out. search the forums, there are tons of recommendations on here.

good luck!
  • cgilles9
    cgilles9 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    love my trek 7.3 hybrid. easy enough for the road, sturdy enough for light to medium trails. took it on a difficult trail and the bike survived, but i had to work much, much, harder.

i at least recommend you check it out. search the forums, there are tons of recommendations on here.

good luck!

Thank you! I will definitely check out the other forums.
  • cgilles9
    cgilles9 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I should also mention that I am currently around 265 lbs, so it needs to be heavy duty bike... :happy:
  • poeco76
    poeco76 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    As a fellow Coloradoan I will say that the terrain here can be tricky with bikes. I'm not much of a mountain biker (though I do have a mountain bike - it's old though an early '90s Bridgestone), but having a bike that can serve dual purpose is a great way to go... finding it, can be tricky though. It doesn't sound like you want to get into hard core road biking, so perhaps the Trek hybrid suggested would be worth checking out. The bike forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php) are extremely helpful with this type of question, and I'm sure there would be others who can offer great suggestions.

Honestly, my best suggestion is to go to many different bike shops and check things out. You have to ride them for yourself to know what works and what doesn't. In the end, you may want to find a CL find for a bit and see what you do/don't like about it before investing in a "keeper." It may just be me, but I've found that I went through far too many bikes trying to figure out what I really liked instead of trying before buying.

Hope you find something that works for you. :O)
  • poeco76
    poeco76 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I should also mention that I am currently around 265 lbs, so it needs to be heavy duty bike... :happy:

265 isn't bad... you should be fine on just about any bike out there (that isn't complete garbage).
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I got a Trek 4 over the Labor Day weekend. It's a fabulous road bike!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Get a cyclocross bike for sure. ride one till you find one that suits you.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Yea dude 265 isn't gonna stress a hybrid or MTB in your price range. If you want to be sure, upgrade the wheelsets to a heavy duty set.