A Good Gluten Free Bread?

Options
I've been gluten free now for a few years and I have pretty much stayed away from gluten-free substitutes. However, I'm thinking of starting to pack lunches and it would be really great if I could find a really great gluten-free bread to by. Can anyone recommend one? I've used Udi's before but it was pretty bleh, so if there is something better I'd love to know!

Replies

• trdepalo
    trdepalo Posts: 106
    Options
    bump ?
  • myownadvice
    myownadvice Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've used Udi's and Rudy's. They are just okay and only if you toast them (I keep mine in the freezer). I've heard some people really like "Against the Grain" products but have yet to find/try them. When I really want a sandwich, I tend to use a corn tortilla (heated slightly so it's more flexible) or romain leaves and just make it a lettuce wrap.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Udi's is awesome for everything they make, as is French Meadow Bakery. Against the Grain frozen pizzas are incredibly awesome, but that's all I've tried from them.
  • myownadvice
    myownadvice Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You may want to try posting this question on the Gluten Free group too. Lots more experienced GF folks than me there.
  • chefrobert2012
    chefrobert2012 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I WORK FOR A GLUTEN FREE BAKERY GETFRESHBAKEHOUSE.COM
  • Sheirai
    Sheirai Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    If you like baguette style bread, Schar makes a really good one. My son is gluten sensitive, and he says that it is the best one he's tried.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I've been gluten free now for a few years and I have pretty much stayed away from gluten-free substitutes. However, I'm thinking of starting to pack lunches and it would be really great if I could find a really great gluten-free bread to by. Can anyone recommend one? I've used Udi's before but it was pretty bleh, so if there is something better I'd love to know!

This is a good gluten free bread.

http://www.paleobread.com/
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    my son likes kinninnink white sandwich bread, so do i. i found udi's dry. i made home made bread too but i find they smell more yeasty and they are a lot heavier.
  • solarpower4
    solarpower4 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I've been GF for 14.5 years.

We LOVE LOVE LOVE the Flax bead from The Grainless Baker!! They also do a cinnamon raisin that tastes good, but the flax is the best commercial bread we've found. It's tender, has a good "crumb", great consistency and delicious flavor. I usually make my own b/c we must also be dairy free and that rules out many GF breads (including some of the Schar and most of Glutino) and The Grainless Baker, while delicious, simply costs too much to buy on a weekly basis. I like knowing exactly what is in (and NOT in) my food and love experimenting with ingredients and flavors, so I bake our bread regularly.

Do you know anyone that bought a bread machine then never actually used it? Or, that you could scrub out super-well, and try 4 or 5 times to make your own and see if that's an option? I love the ease of the bread machine ("Breadman") as well as the loaves that result from oven-baked bread. Oven-baked = batch baking so I can bake 4 loaves at once and freeze the extras for subsequent weeks. But definitely still not as convenient as my Breadman for making just one loaf.

Also, have you tried crisp breads at all? Schar makes some good ones that are corn based, and the French company Le Pain des Fleurs, makes some delicious buckwheat crisps and a rice-buckwheat-something crisp.

Food for Life makes a tasty brown rice flour tortilla that's best if you microwave it for 15 - 30 sec to make it bendable. Makes great quesadillas!
  • solarpower4
    solarpower4 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    OK, finally, someone who likes Kinnickinnick products! I have wondered how in the world they stay in business b/c everyone I know cannot eat anything by that company (me included). There must be something in the pea protein they use or something that some people's taste buds are triggered by and some aren't.

So you'll most likely want to try all the suggested products and see which ones you personally like best.

Have fun experimenting!
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    The only gluten free bread I have ever had that tastes good was a loaf I got at a farmer's market. It was made with mesquite flour and, not only was it moist and had a great texture, it tasted just like my mom's homemade whole grain bread.

Sadly, at $8/loaf and only available at that farmer's market, I have never had it again.
  • trdepalo
    trdepalo Posts: 106
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Off to go do some at-home testing :-)
  • OurDilys
    OurDilys Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I asked my sister and this is what she has found.

The bread I get on best with at the moment is Genius and Sainsbury and Tesco sell it and you don't have to microwave it. But I think Warbartons do one but not seen it yet. Hope that helps X