How do you be proud of yourself?

Options
I have lost 51 pounds, People tell me all the time how good im doing and to keep up the good work.
I am finding it hard to appreciate and celebrate this accomplishment.
Normally most people would put on old clothing and see the changes but even at 51 pounds gone my clothing still fits. I have nothing to put on that would show me the difference. I still have over 100 pounds to go so seeing myself in the mirror only sparks more "ew gross" comments in my mind.
Any suggestions?

Replies

• Angela_2_Oh
    Angela_2_Oh Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Take measurements and take pictures. Pull them out when you're struggling. Sometimes it takes our brains a little while to catch up with what has actually happened, and what others see.

Honestly, 51 pounds is a lot. Stay the course! And be proud.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
  • Hey__Im__Krista
    Options
    this makes you feel good about yourself? =/

I take measurements but where the inches havent really been coming off ( hence why my clothing all still fits the same ) its not really working
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I try to focus on short-term goals in the meantime... like sleeping better, having more energy, eating good food, getting stronger, having more endurance. That helps me a lot!
  • VogtAndrea
    Options
    I have almost 100 lbs left to go too. If you dwell on where you want to be and aren't, it can become discouraging. If you imagine yourself with the body you'd like and look into the mirror, seeing only the person that you are right now, it's discouraging.
    I don't look at the longterm goal anymore except to know that it's where I'm headed. I chose to make this a 5 year plan. My goals are simple. Feel better, dress the person that I am right now and love myself whether I'm fat or thin or whatever but be tenacious. I'm NOT going to give up. This is too important to me.
    And YOU shouldn't either.
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I have lost 51 pounds, People tell me all the time how good im doing and to keep up the good work.
    Normally most people would put on old clothing and see the changes but even at 51 pounds gone my clothing still fits. I have nothing to put on that would show me the difference. I still have over 100 pounds to go so seeing myself in the mirror only sparks more "ew gross" comments in my mind.
    Any suggestions?

Oh god I know how you feel, everything you said here is mirroring me. I think the bigger you are and I have over 100 more pounds to lose as well the changes are hard to see. Maybe its because we have been big for so long that when we do look in the mirror we can't see anything else other a big person looking back.

It took me a long time to realize that the number on the scale is just what it is a number. OK you have lost 51lbs and well done that is a marvelous achievement. You may not be seeing the change as much in your clothes or even the measurements on an inch tape. But.....

Are you able to walk further than when you were 51lbs heavier?
    How is your health?
    Are you able to do that extra 10mins more on whatever exercise you are doing?

These little tell tale signs will let you know that you are doing something right. Within time you will soon see what every around you sees. Just look at the 'bigger' picture and I bet you can find something to be thankful for!

Be proud of your achievements girl you have done great. Being in the 'bigger' category, not trying to sound mean or anything as I was 323lbs when I started we have to wait a little longer for it to show.

I see people on here that has lost 2 or 3 stones and I feel so jealous of them because I see the huge difference on them and where I have lost three stone I can't see nothing. But I know I am doing something right when I would rather go to the gym now than go and meet my mates for lunch!

All the best with the rest of your journey hun. Take care
  • Hey__Im__Krista
    Options
    Any suggestions?

Oh god I know how you feel, everything you said here is mirroring me. I think the bigger you are and I have over 100 more pounds to lose as well the changes are hard to see. Maybe its because we have been big for so long that when we do look in the mirror we can't see anything else other a big person looking back.

It took me a long time to realize that the number on the scale is just what it is a number. OK you have lost 51lbs and well done that is a marvelous achievement. You may not be seeing the change as much in your clothes or even the measurements on an inch tape. But.....

How is your health?

These little tell tale signs will let you know that you are doing something right. Within time you will soon see what every around you sees. Just look at the 'bigger' picture and I bet you can find something to be thankful for!

Be proud of your achievements girl you have done great. Being in the 'bigger' category, not trying to sound mean or anything as I was 323lbs when I started we have to wait a little longer for it to show.

I see people on here that has lost 2 or 3 stones and I feel so jealous of them because I see the huge difference on them and where I have lost three stone I can't see nothing. But I know I am doing something right when I would rather go to the gym now than go and meet my mates for lunch!

lol not really, for a big girl i can get around, and find my energy has not increased since losing the weight, in fact ive become less motivated and lazier. =/

i guess im ****ed.

Thanks for trying everyone.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I have lost 52lbs :) and still feel like you. People compliment me all the time, saying I am an inspiration but I just don't know why. Although my clothes dont fit me anymore, I still have the need to look for clothes in my start weight size in the plus section. I guess our minds have to catch up with our bodies! Congrats on your weightloss, be proud (somehow) of your acheivements so far.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I so know how this feels. When I had lost about 50lbs I ran into someone I hadn't seen since before the diet and they didn't even notice. It was so depressing. Recently (after another 50lbs) I ran into him again and he did a double take and I think the only reason he knew it was me was because he recognized my husband. Stay the course, it will pay off. You will look in the mirror someday soon and think hmm this swimsuit looks cute on me.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on what you have left. Focus on what you've achieved already. By yourself some new clothes, and see how awesome you will undoubtedly look! Congrats on your success so far, you're looking good, and doing great! :smile:
  • Kooraloo
    Kooraloo Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    It's not always about weight. I was feeling really down recently because I've gained from the summer, but then I looked at everything else I've gained: self confidence, muscle, and, fitness, to name a few. Sometimes when it doesn't SEEM like the scale or tape measure's budging, look at everything else that's changed due to your hard work!
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this, and I don't even have a lot to lose. We are always our worst critics, no matter how much we weigh. I've realized recently that although sometimes it does matter what you weigh, what matters more is your confidence. People notice a confident person and they are attracted to them because of their radiance and the way they carry themselves. No one wants to be near a person who hates themselves. I go through this on a daily basis and I'm struggling with this concept myself, but I am trying to get myself to realize that I look better with a hearty dose of confidence than I would if I would kill myself to lose these last 15 pounds.
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions?

How is your health?

lol not really, for a big girl i can get around, and find my energy has not increased since losing the weight, in fact ive become less motivated and lazier. =/

i guess im ****ed.

I think its because you have given up hope because you can't see the physical changes yourself, seriously hang in there and take your journey in small easy steps, you can do this and you will see the results!
  • caribear1984
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I have also lost 50+ pounds but still have so far to go. But here's something that helped me put it in perspective. The next time you are out shopping, go to the pet food section and find a 50lb bag of dog food. Pick it up and put it in your cart. Then take it back out again and put it back (unless you have a dog and you need it). It sounds kinda crazy, but it helped me so much. Once I had lifted that bag and moved it around for a little bit, I realized, holy cow, that bag used to be on me! It really changes it from just a number on the scale to something tangible.

Just remember that as long as you are losing, you are heading in the right direction. Keep going and it will keep coming off.
  • Angela_2_Oh
    Angela_2_Oh Posts: 579 Member
    Options

this makes you feel good about yourself? :/

If you're replying to me....yes, it does.

guess im ****ed.

Well, if that's your attitude, then yes, you are. Motivation comes from within. You will have to stick with it when you can't see the results. If you resign yourself to being fat, you will be. Simple as that.

I repeat. Stay the course.
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I was right there where you are!!! I could NOT see any changes in myself and all my clothes fit well. For me, it was around the 60, 65lbs loss mark that I finally started to drop sizes. I was very nonchalant about my weight loss until then. I was doing it for my health, but deep down inside I wanted to LOOK good too.

It's tough, but keeping pushing through it. One day you WILL see it. You might catch your reflection in a window and be surprised or something like that.

GREAT job so far... I know you may not see it or feel it, but it is still a great accomplishment.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    i never got as much pride in compliments, as i have in achievements. it's your own goals that should make your pride swell, not that of others. from something as small as like say, you run a mile in 12 minutes and want to hit 10. to something as big as completing a half-marathon. if that isn't what makes you happy. think of it like this, say you're remodeling and re-roofing an old run-down house or barn. you're gonna see all the scaffolding up and no siding and shingles and windows out, etc., and think 'i don't like how it looks and it's never gonna look as good as it did new'. but, as soon as it's done, after all that hard work, and all those long hours put in. you may have the most beautiful thing anyones ever seen.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Start treating yourself like you would treat your best friend. If your bestie lost 50 lbs what would you say? Prolly not ew gross, I hope! You need to retrain yourself self-love and compassion for yourself, first off. Secondly, set goals for yourself that are achievable and celebrate those wins. Celebrate each success, each milestone. I know what it's like to have a very large goal. I'm going to lose 180 lbs. Even though I've past the 50 lbs lost mark, I too still have over 100 to go. At times it seems like a million. But I've come too far to turn back now. And so have you.