Weighing yourself

Options
Does anybody know if there is usually a difference with weighing yourself in the morning verses in the afternoon or evening. Last week I was weighing about 276 and this week its 280. I think I may have weighed myself in the morning last week. So I'm wondering if I gained or if I'm plateauing.

Thanks,
Debbie

Replies

• deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I usually weight about 2 or 3 pounds more at night than I do in the morning. I don't know why, but it happens pretty consistently!
  • cyberiarob
    cyberiarob Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    The general rule is to always weigh yourself at the same time of day (some even say the same day of the week if you only weigh in weekly). Weight definitely fluctuates throughout the day, depending on fluid levels, right after a meal, etc.
  • yogsvr4
    yogsvr4 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    The general rule is to always weigh yourself at the same time of day (some even say the same day of the week if you only weigh in weekly). Weight definitely fluctuates throughout the day, depending on fluid levels, right after a meal, etc.

Channelling my inner Fonzie Exact-a-mundo!
  • donnaw3kids
    donnaw3kids Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    i weigh same time.same place.every monday:smile:
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    think about all of the water you're drinking, food you're eating. That's all weight. You're never ever ever going to weigh the same thing in the morning vs. the evening. I can gain as much as 3-4lbs by the evening just from water and food (aka poo...)
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    at the end of the day you are full of food and fluids...always weigh in the morning before consuming anything and after draining your bladder. its a difference of a few pounds
  • marthathebear
    Options
    You should weigh first thing in the morning after the bathroom naked if possible.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Weigh in first thing in the morning, naked, after going to the bathroom. Best chance of consistency that way.
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I weigh first thing in the morning, after I've been to the bathroom.
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You should always weigh yourself around the same time, but preferably in the morning when your stomach is empty.
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Also weigh yourself before your morning shower. I wake up at 5am, use the bathroom, weigh myself and I will weigh x amount. I go back to bed (without any food or fluids) wake back up at 7am, use the bathroom, weigh myself and I weigh a pound more. No food, No fluids. No clown makeup :laugh: but somehow I gained a pound from 2 hours of sleep. How does that happen
  • wrkout2bfit
    wrkout2bfit Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I used to have an addiction to weighing myself. I would weigh myself at least 3 times a day. There really is a big difference from a morning weigh in, and an afternoon or evening one. The others are right, weigh yourself first thing in a.m. after your bathroom break. BTW, don't weigh yourself too often like I used to do. I only weigh in about once or twice a week now. Best of luck!
  • cameronzmom
    cameronzmom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I always weigh first thing in the morning, undressed, before I dress for the day. I always weigh again right before bed, again undressed, before I put pjs on. The later weight is always a little bit higher
  • CmeATtheGym
    CmeATtheGym Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I can weigh in a whole pound higher if I get on the scale with a certain pair of jeans. I make the same mistake all the time. I think weighing in first thing wearing the same clothes or nothing at all, will be the best indicator of true weight loss. I also fluctuate from morning to night , day to day , for any number of reasons. I just need to see the dial move down.

Add me as a friend , we can never have enough .
  • janeshearl
    janeshearl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I always weigh more at night, so I weigh in the mornings!
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I've read and been told a million things about when to weigh yourself and so on. I only weigh myself on Saturday mornings, usually between 7am and 8am. I first use the restroom, I strip down to nothing and then I weigh myself :)
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    i had a doctor once tell me that the best time to weigh was first thing in the morning after using the bathroom. this was because all your food and whatnot has already been digested over the night and You just released anything that was possibly hanging around. i only remember this because I went in to a dr appointment and i didn't like that I had gained. after explaining this, it made sense that i had eaten during the day already.
  • otkbrat
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments:) I've just been weighing myself whenever because I don't have a scale at home so I only do it at Curves. I usually go in the afternoon and occasionally in the morning. I will have to try to go in the morning on Saturday.

Thanks,
    Debbie