Sources of Protein????

Options
I'm new to MFP. At this point I'm still trying to learn what are the best foods for my weight loss goal. Everyday it seems I'm fighting to eat more calories than I used too. Apparently I wasn't eat enough, making my body store fat.
So I hear I need more protein in my diet. SO PLEASE could you give me some suggestions for things that are low calorie and high in protein. Thank you. Also, looking for people to add as friends, I know I'm going to need a lot of support. I have over 100lbs to go! :)

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    You get fat from eating too much, not too little

Chicken breast, tuna, lean beef, protein powder, greek yogurt are good sources of protein
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Quick and easy way to determine if something is high and protein and should be eaten:

Does it have parents?
    If so, then eat it.
  • blackgold86
    blackgold86 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Good start! You're here! Good luck on your journey...

Im no expert, but I have felt that what works best for me is

chicken breast
    cottage cheese
    fish
    parmesan
    greek yoghurt..

I have most of those foods daily!

Also had a look at your diary.. Have a think about reducing carbs and upping the protein goals. 276 grams per day is a lot for anyone starting out..
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Lean meat (like chicken breasts), dairy, protein powder, greek yogurt, and whole grains are great sources of protein!
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Quick and easy way to determine if something is high and protein and should be eaten:

Does it have parents?
    If so, then eat it.

Yeah, that was the reason my babysitting career didn't end so well...:grumble:
  • wellbert
    Options

Does it have parents?
    If so, then eat it.

Yeah, that was the reason my babysitting career didn't end so well...:grumble:

Probably helped you transition into Chef, though.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    If you want to be healthy, lose weight, and not spend your life trying to fight your hunger drive, eat foods that are:
    high in fiber
    high in water
    high in micro-nutrients
    have ADEQUATE protein and fat, but NOT TOO MUCH

Which foods are those? Fruits and vegetables!

The more raw fresh ripe fruit and veg you eat, the better off you will be, in all categories of health.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options

Does it have parents?
    If so, then eat it.

Gross. Yeah, not everyone eats corpse. For anyone interested here are some vegetarian sources of protein:

-nuts
    -legumes
    -seeds
    -soy products (tofu, edamame etc)

Veggies with good protein content (5 grams or higher)
    -avocados
    -broccoli
    -spinach
    -kale
    -peas
    - sweet potato

Grains with good protein content (5 grams or higher)
    -Quinoa
    -Amaranth
    -bulgur
    -brown rice
    -wheat germ
    -oat bran
    -Seitan
    -Oatmeal
    -Sprouted grain bread products

If you are not vegan you might add these too
    -eggs
    -cottage cheese
    -yogurt
    -cheese

And of course you can always drink a vegan or vegetarian protein powder if you feel you are not getting enough.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Chicken breast, tuna, lean beef, protein powder, greek yogurt are good sources of protein

If you drastically under eat or exercise a lot but don't fuel your body, your body will slow it's metabolism and store what calories you are eating as fat rather than burning them. Body is in starvation mode and is storing calories for later use.
  • wellbert
    Options

If you drastically under eat or exercise a lot but don't fuel your body, your body will slow it's metabolism and store what calories you are eating as fat rather than burning them. Body is in starvation mode and is storing calories for later use.

Absolutely true. This is why people in developing nations with little access to food are so obese.
  • maisaf
    Options
    Oh my gosh Welbert, people in developing countries who have big bellies like the emaciated kids we see on tv who are starving are MALNOURISHED, not obese, thus their belly inflammation. That is not fat in their bellies!!!!

With respect to protein, sometimes its hard to have access to protein that is quick and easy. I always have individual turkey burgers I store in the freezer that I can grab and cook up in a frying pan in 5 minutes. Just use a little cooking spray and add some meat rub (just watch the salt). Another great option is cottage cheese with some hot sauce, or tuna with a little lemon and olive oil. Also don't forget to store some egg whites in your fridge (they sell these at the store in a carton) so you can make a quick veggie omelet. I chop up a bunch of veggies at the beginning of the week and they are gone by the end of it since I use them in omelets all the time. I add salsa and veggies and if you want low fat/no fat cheese and presto, you have a delicious meal.

Also, I start my day with steamed spinach, an egg and some black beans. Again, keep it easy and fast so when you find yourself hungry, you can make something that satiates you.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options

all this, and quinoa
  • bodyrollin
    bodyrollin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Ounce for ounce you will have a hard time beating fresh spinach, but as for typical proteins fish, then turkey, then chicken...Greek yogurt is an excellent source as well, a great protein for smoothies...also, supplamental protein shakes (such as muscle milk) have not only great protein, but they usually have a lot of other nutrients that are beneficial as well.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Absolutely true. This is why people in developing nations with little access to food are so obese.

What you did, I see it.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Absolutely love the animal sources for protein- they are my favorite. I also use protein shakes for immediately after workouts, seeing as how I don't really want to eat a chicken breast or tuna at 9:00 am sometimes. I use 100% gold standard whey protein, the double chocolate flavor. Blend it in a blender with water, ice, and half a frozen banana and it works great :) Only 120 calories per scoop. 3g carbs and 1 g fat. 24 g protein
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Surely you jest!
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options

Does it have parents?
    If so, then eat it.

Gross. Yeah, not everyone eats corpse. For anyone interested here are some vegetarian sources of protein:

-nuts
    -legumes
    -seeds
    -soy products (tofu, edamame etc)

Veggies with good protein content (5 grams or higher)
    -avocados
    -broccoli
    -spinach
    -kale
    -peas
    - sweet potato

Grains with good protein content (5 grams or higher)
    -Quinoa
    -Amaranth
    -bulgur
    -brown rice
    -wheat germ
    -oat bran
    -Seitan
    -Oatmeal
    -Sprouted grain bread products

If you are not vegan you might add these too
    -eggs
    -cottage cheese
    -yogurt
    -cheese

And of course you can always drink a vegan or vegetarian protein powder if you feel you are not getting enough.

I'm pescetarian and eat most vegetarian as seafood is expensive :P and while I'm not in it for ethical reasons as this poster is I would like to add Bulgar wheat w/soy (20 grams protein) as a good breakfast cereal item (almost like oat meal, but closer to rice/quinoa? I have no idea, but so delicious and filling and actually low calorie!) and soy nuts :) so yummy !
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh Welbert, people in developing countries who have big bellies like the emaciated kids we see on tv who are starving are MALNOURISHED, not obese, thus their belly inflammation. That is not fat in their bellies!!!!

Either you are being facetious or that joke went over your head. . .?
  • SweatSuit
    Options
    I find Protein powder works best for me. It's cheep, low in calorie, and high in protein. I just bring it to work with me, so i'm forced to only eat that.