Do you add supplements to your diet?

Options
I have heard of a lot of people choosing to add protein shakes, protein bars, slimfast, vitamins, etc. into their diet in order to help them. I don't know anything about any of these supplements and I am hoping to learn more.

Why do you take them? What do you take? Have they helped? What have you noticed about taking them and not taking them?

Thanks!

Replies

• NVM87
    NVM87 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I try to have a whey protein shake once a day to help achieve my macros... My diet is low carb high protein and i struggle to get to so many grams of protein if I don't have it..the protein powder I have also has its bcaas which aids in repairing muscles from exercise. It is also a low carb option. They can be expensive but I find the days I don't have it my progress isn't as good as the days I did... I also feel a lot better when my body is consuming more protein as I don't get as hungry.
  • johnny059qn
    johnny059qn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Multi-vitamin
    Fish oil
    Whey protein powder

That's it. I don't need more.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    Multi-vitamin
    Fish oil
    Whey protein powder

THIS. Supplements are just that..............to supplement what you already should be getting from food. They shouldn't be "meals".

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mtiheartmuscle
    Options
    I eat 5-6 small meals per day, but do add supplements in on a daily basis.

These are the list of supplements I take:

- Whey protein 8oz pre-workout and post workout (30-60 minutes before and after) - I add my whey protein in unsweetened almond milk (extra protein and tastes better than mixing it with water)
    - BCAA during my workouts (in 8-10 oz of water)
    - Creatine (I take 1 tablespoon each day after my workout) - I take it for 4 weeks, then go off for 4 weeks, rotate.
    - Once a day multi-vitamin
    - Fish Oil
    - Vitamin B-12

I hope that answers your question!
  • meggwtw
    meggwtw Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I take some, all are from Whole Foods, including:

-365 Women's Multivitamin
    -365 Fish Oil (for the omega-3 fatty acids)
    -365 Whey Protein (it's sugar-free, because I watch my sugar - I add it to green smoothies to boost my protein macro)

Sometimes I also take psyllium husks for added fiber in my diet, but not every day. It helps keep you regular because of the concentrated fiber.
  • shrinkingislander
    shrinkingislander Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I don't take anything, I figure if I eat a clean well balanced diet, I should have things covered.
  • MrsAnderson_GettingHealthy
    Options
    I don't take anything, I figure if I eat a clean well balanced diet, I should have things covered.

That's what I had figured... maybe I will look into a protein shake but, I don't know if it is necessary right away!
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    protein shakes are a good meal replacement and for very little calories
  • shrinkingislander
    shrinkingislander Posts: 315 Member
    Options

I think that is one of the reasons why I don't use supplements. I would much rather eat the actual food then substitute with a drink/shake.
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Multi-vitamin, Vit D3, Vit B12, occasional whey shakes

I definitely notice a difference when I don't take my vitamins. The d3 is vital because I live in the Seattle area- don't get much sun... the b12 gives me an energy boost and the multivitamin fills any gaps in my nutrition.
  • djames92
    Options

I think that is one of the reasons why I don't use supplements. I would much rather eat the actual food then substitute with a drink/shake.
    true i use it as just a bonus source of protein but just saying its an option and it can work helps build lean muscle which burns more calories to maintain than fat
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I take a women's multivitamin, and I do use protein shakes...not so much the bars anymore...
    I want to make sure I have enough protein, I'm doing a lot of weight lifting and I'm at a defect so I don't want to shred away my muscle if I don't have to.
  • EastFork
    EastFork Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I try to have a whey protein shake once a day to help achieve my macros... My diet is low carb high protein and i struggle to get to so many grams of protein if I don't have it..the protein powder I have also has its bcaas which aids in repairing muscles from exercise. It is also a low carb option. They can be expensive but I find the days I don't have it my progress isn't as good as the days I did... I also feel a lot better when my body is consuming more protein as I don't get as hungry.

This.
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I take probiotics at the moment because I'm on antibiotics :)
    I'm going to start a multi-vitamin soon :)
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Multi-vitamin
    Fish oil
    Whey protein powder

Yep, me too. A good balanced diet is number one.
    Fish oil is a good supp with a heap of benefits and no downside.
    Whey as a top-up on protein if I'm having a low day or struggling for time to fit in a meal.
    The multi is like an insurance policy. I don't always have it or need it, but it tops up the little things that may be missing from my diet.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    If you eat a proper diet, and get adequate sun, you don't need supplements, with one exception: B12.
  • djames92
    Options
    If you eat a proper diet, and get adequate sun, you don't need supplements, with one exception: B12.
    get adequate sun? da ****
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options

You can get plenty of b12 from a proper diet assuming you aren't vegan.
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    get adequate sun? da ****

Vitamin D :)
  • SoCalWoman
    SoCalWoman Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Multi-vitamin
    Fish oil
    Whey protein powder

Ditto. Except I also take Vitamin K2 and probiotic to help with my stomach/digestion issues but I never needed that until I got into my 40's.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!