(I have anxiety) wondering about Niacin in a supplement?

Options
My son and I work out together and he wants me to start using "Muscle Milk" (walmarts brand) and I noticed it has 20 grams of Niacin in it.... I have some anxiety issues and use to have panic attacks real bad. I have heard that Niacin can easily trigger panic attacks.

I was wondering what to expect if I start taking this. I don't want to flip out so to say lol. No seriously, I'm a little leery of what to expect as I do not want to have a panic attack from a supplement..

Any help?

Replies

• LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Hi. My daughter and I were using Isogenix. One of the tablets contained a large amount of niacin, and she DID have a panic reaction, which passed quickly. I knew what had caused it so was able to talk her down. She became flushed and had rapid heart rate. Also, my brother in law takes a large does of niacin nightly to combat high cholesterol. He also has the reaction, but considers it tolerable since he knows what caused it and it passes quickly.
    Only you can say if knowing what kicked off the symptoms will cause you to be able to wait them out. Of course, there's always the chance you won't even experience them
    Best of luck!
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Don't drink it. It's nasty. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/girlykate143/view/muscle-milk-tastes-like-waterboarding-436316
    Also, the fact that you are now aware of the niacin link (or your perception that there is a link to anxiety) will cause you more anxiety.
    Drink milk or a powdered protein mix instead. There's tons more out there that actually taste good.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    id say ask your doctor to be 100% sure dont want to mess with medical stuff like this
  • jerrydwane
    Options
    Thank you LMT for the insights. I'm going to try my first dose in the morning and pray it doesn't set me off. My hope is "as you mentioned" that I don't feel anything.. If I do, I hope I can get through the first possible intense flush that will feel abnormal to me. I will know in a few hours I guess.. I'm sure that it may be a little tough at first just because of the mental aspect "worrying over it" which in itself can cause anxiety lol... People like me that can have panic attacks are so screwed up lol..
  • jerrydwane
    Options
    The above 2 post came while I was typing.. maybe I should wait on this... IDK
  • jerrydwane
    Options

Also, the fact that you are now aware of the niacin link (or your perception that there is a link to anxiety) will cause you more anxiety.

Yep, that is one of the main problems with anxiety....I talked about this above before you posted. Thanks and yes you are dead on.. It sucks
  • djames92
    Options
    all it would take is a 5 minute phone call to your doctor
  • jerrydwane
    Options
    all it would take is a 5 minute phone call to your doctor

Its safe friend... I already know that part... The thing is that it can induce a panic attack.. The doctor cant tell me of course if I will experience it or not.... If I do this I have to know in my mind when it hits that its going to go away and that its not anything bad, and get through that flush so to say, if it does happen.
  • djames92
    Options
    in my opinion i dont think its really not worth the risk but thats with my little knowledge on the subject. since your trying to gain you can just eat some chicken or tuna after your workout to get the protein
  • jerrydwane
    Options
    I was actually going to drink this in the mornings but the more I think on it I'm going to look for something that doesn't have Niacin in it..
  • djames92
    Options
    im sure its out there probably a bit more expensive id look into syntha 6 or optimum nutrition those are supposed to be the more "pure" ones
  • jerrydwane
    Options
    I used it this morning and I did not feel anything unusual or abnormal.. Thankfully lol
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    it gave my face a flush when I took it. glad you didn't have a trigger
  • jerrydwane
    Options
    it gave my face a flush when I took it. glad you didn't have a trigger
    Yeah I did fine, anxiety and all.. I cant say I actually felt anything so I guess I can keep on using it.. Nice to meet you by the way
  • Justkf
    Justkf Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Theanine and Gaba work waaay better.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    is this pre or post? You might be better off with protein powder or BCAA
  • jerrydwane
    Options
    Neither.. Just a morning protein before work.. I go in so early that I cant workout until evenings.
  • Workoutsahn
    Options
    Well, I have been looking around on the Internet a bit and I found a blog type thing on bodybuilding.com. Several people have reported higher blood pressure and panic attacks after drinking muscle milk on a regular basis. Some are saying it's the MSG, others are saying it's the Niacin. I really don't know what causes the attacks myself, but I think it would be a safe bet to use a different supplement or just get the nutrients from your regular diet.