understanding everything im new

so i just started with mfp today. my current weight is 166 and want to get down to 150. i am 5ft 9 inches. the app tells me my daily calories is 1340. Im assuming this is what i need to eat around everyday. This am i also worked out and mfp siad i earned 622 calories. but from other posts people said not to use calories for exercise or if you do then use half. My question is if i dont exercise will 1340 help me to my weight loss goals. Also im confused on what the net is?

thanks!!!

Replies

• bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    If you used the calculator, and it says 1350, then yes try to eat that number. The calculator figures your deficit based on your pounds loss per week goal ( typically 1 to 2 lbs per week).

If you exercise and burn 600 calories, I'd suggest eating much of that back. At least don't starve yourself thinking you need to in order to lose weight. 600cals is a pretty good workout, so you need to feed that. Your body will want more food and you should give it. Just make you you are putting good things in and not a bunch of crap to make up the cals
  • thanks brad i really appreciate it. I've heard that my fitness pal app overestimates calories for exercises. do you think that is true or do you add up your calories you see on the machine since we put our weight in there so that would be more accurate to our weight.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    If you used the calculator, and it says 1350, then yes try to eat that number. The calculator figures your deficit based on your pounds loss per week goal ( typically 1 to 2 lbs per week).

If you exercise and burn 600 calories, I'd suggest eating much of that back. At least don't starve yourself thinking you need to in order to lose weight. 600cals is a pretty good workout, so you need to feed that. Your body will want more food and you should give it. Just make you you are putting good things in and not a bunch of crap to make up the cals

Yep, that pretty much sums it up. Eat the calories you are given and if you exercise eat most of them back. You can play with your goals and see how many calories you can eat based on how many pounds you want to loose in a week. One of my mfp friends and I use the same phone app to calculate everything while walking or running and I have noticed that her calories burned are really high. I don't know why hers is calculating weirdly so I do believe there can be glitches. If you are using machines vs. the mfp database here on the website, I would take the #'s off of the machine. I noticed a difference on some of my exercise and people here on mfp said to go with the machine info. They've also said that heart rate monitors are even more reliable.