Feet going numb....

Options
On any exercise machines I use for cardio my feet keep going numb. Anyone know how to get that to stop? I have professionally molded insoles and that doesn't do a thing.

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Could be your positioning/stance on the machines, tight footwear, or a medical condition.
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Just curious. "Is it the only time your feet go numb?" I hope you find your answer.
  • Sassy922
    Sassy922 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    have you asked your doctor?
  • leeleeluvs
    leeleeluvs Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Could be your positioning/stance on the machines, tight footwear, or a medical condition.

Shoelaces may be too tight...
  • wlddove
    wlddove Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Mine used to do that on the elliptical. I haven't figured out why. Fill us in if you figure it out!
  • orangelobster
    Options
    Shoes too tight? Shoes laced up too tight?
    Maybe you need thicker socks (more padding)

I used to have the same problem, but I bought better shoes and tied them more mindfully. (ie: I didn't just jam my feet in and go)
  • againagain
    againagain Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Your shoes are maybe too tight. Sounds silly, but I have to wear mine pretty loose to avoid my toes going numb.
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Repetative motion/pressure will cause numbness. Get off the machines and mix things up outside on varying terrain :)
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    Yup, agree with the shoelaces theory. I found a website for different ways to lace your shoes according to your foot type. I have wide feet and since I have laced my shoes accordingly, my feet havent' went numb at all!! Sorry, I don't have the link, but you can Google around and I'm sure you'll find it.
  • Midnigh
    Midnigh Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    On any exercise machines I use for cardio my feet keep going numb. Anyone know how to get that to stop? I have professionally molded insoles and that doesn't do a thing.

The same thing happens if I don't use the heels of my feet. If I use the balls of my feet I get numbness in my toes, if my I push down with my heels instead of the balls of my feet, I don't get numb. I usually only use the eliptical, an additional benefit to using my heels is that I get a better glut workout.
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing from a pinched nerve in my back, according to my dr, started up after I was in a car accident, it happens when I exercise a lot. Massaging my upper legs and lots of stretching makes it go away for me.
    Going to a massage therapist or a chiro has helped in the past, but it keeps coming back.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    my feet used to go numb when i used the elliptical - it ended up being two things. my laces were tied too tight, and i wasnt using my heels enough. if i push down with my heels it helps a ton!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Unlike running/walking on a treadmill, most machines that don't allow "foot raising" will cause numbness in your feet, especially if you're overweight. The consistent pressure on the nerves on the ball of your foot will usually cause the numbing. It helps to occasionally lift your feet off the pedals to help relieve the pressure and reduce the numbness.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition