BIRTH CONTROL

Options
2»

Replies

• kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    The pill doesn't cause weight gain. Some hormone combinations can cause an increase in appetite for some women. If this is you, you should talk to your doctor about trying a different type of pill. It's all just a big myth though, ask your doctor.
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I actually started the DEPO shot about 8 months ago, I noticed its HARDER to loose the weight now, but I have actually lost since I have been on it, was 181 when started it I am at 174 now, just started this whole loose weight work out thing STRONG this week so we shall see what happens!! Good luck with that BC

The studies that I have read showed the only birth control that makes you gain weight is Depo Provera. I was on it for 10 years, and I gained about 40 lbs. I'm on the pill now and having no problems at all.
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I take Femcon FE and I have lost my total 31 pounds while taking it. The nice part is that they are chewable pills, don't have to swallow them if you don't want to.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, and I'm on nuvaring. My only complaint is that I take it out on a Sunday, and AF doesn't show up till that Friday, and ring goes back in 2 days later. My period often lasts 7-10 days. It kinda sucks, but I do like the convenience of the ring. I didn't notice any weight gain when I went on it, and obviously have had no trouble losing weight either
  • Shuutnstar
    Shuutnstar Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    And you have to remember, every single one of us has a different body chemistry so each method of BC may affect one of us in a pos way while having neg effects for others.

It sucks, but the best thing to do is voice your concerns with your Dr. Take their recommendations, and try a new one every 3-6 months or so if you are still unhappy. I had to try a lot of different ones.. and I personally like Yaz. I don't have PMDD but I have noticed a HUGE improvement with my acne.

I gained more weight on Depo than any other form of BC... I haven't gained that much on Yaz, but again, that is my personal experience!

Good luck!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, and I'm on nuvaring. My only complaint is that I take it out on a Sunday, and AF doesn't show up till that Friday, and ring goes back in 2 days later. My period often lasts 7-10 days. It kinda sucks, but I do like the convenience of the ring. I didn't notice any weight gain when I went on it, and obviously have had no trouble losing weight either

I take mine out Saturday and I usually get it Tuesday or Wednesday & it lasts about a week so when I put it in Saturday, I still have a couple more days. Bleh. I don't like that, either, but I've gotten used to it. Kinda dumb to put it in while on it since bf doesn't want sexy time while I'm on my period, lol.
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Try switching pills. I took a generic version of Desogen (Apri) a few years back and lost 10 pounds in 2 months. I didn't change my diet at all, but I did kickboxing 3x a week out of fear that I'd gain weight on the pill.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    The Nuva ring does not help with PMDD. I have had no trouble with it slipping out, no side effects, except some inbetween spotting occasionally, my periods last 3-4 days I have no cramps and I used to have cramps that would knock me down for a full day sometimes 2. I've had not trouble losing weight. I was once told that if 2 or more people in a drug study experience a side effect, it has to be listed as a possible side effect, even thogh most people have little or no side effects. I am definetly an advocate for the ring, all I have to do to remember to use it is look at the calendar, not take a pill every day. It's mild and very convenient
  • SnuggleBunny
    Options
    I've been on Seasonquie for around 4 years now, BC for a total of 14 years. I've never had any problems with weight gain but I started BC so long ago I can't remember :laugh:

Nothing beats TOQ instead of TOM! and it only lasts 3 days.
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I'm on condoms and I haven't gained any weight at all!!!:laugh:
  • adegonia
    adegonia Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am really glad you posted this today. To be honest I was just about ready to quit trying this morning when I saw the scale. It was up all but 1 pound I have lost. I give it three days before I log it and if it wasn't different I was going to give up. I just switched to ortho tri cylcle lo, this is the end of the first week, I was on Loestrin 24 fe and after taking it 8 months had very irregular periods. (breakthrough bleeding for 2 weeks after skipping 2 periods during placebo week) I don't know if it is my hormones, water weight or what. I think I may be ovulating today so I don't know if that effects it but I didn't think you ovulated while on the pill. UGH I hate the pill! After we start trying for a baby in August I am finding something new.

ps.
    I thought YAZ was recalled for causing heart problem??
  • cbnorris
    cbnorris Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    On Nuvaring... Mine fell out once... I'm assuming while using the restroom after sex, I have no idea. I just suddenly noticed it was gone. It was an awful experience and very stressfull. Since then I've switched to Mirena, which is an IUD. I have gained weight since then, but I'd rather gain a little weight and be on birth control than end up pregnant and gain a lot, and a kid to boot.
  • amijay77
    amijay77 Posts: 13
    Options
    I was on the Shot and then got the Implant. In 2 years I have put on over 60 pounds. My appetite was that of a small elephant, and it was impossible to not eat when i was hungry or i would get headache and feel dizzy. It wasn't until I was finally able to convince my gyno it was a major contributing factor to my weight problem that she finally gave in and let me use the non-hormonal IUD. It has taken 3 months for me to return to normal cycle and I have only managed to lose 5 lbs, but the important part is that I have stopped gaining and my appetite is 1/2 of what it was before.

My problem is that i can't break a plateau and I fear i won't ever be able to as I have tried everything and still can't loose a single ounce.