Sleep vs. Exercise, want your thoughts!!

Options
So a thought I've been toying around with...Getting up 2 hours earlier and going to the gym every morning.

Pros:, getting the workout done and over with ensuring that I workout every day. Make better choices during the day.
Cons: Only getting 6.5 hrs of sleep a night vs 8.5 currently getting.

What are your thoughts? I want to exercise more and this seems like the only time I have to fit it in, but is it more important to get sleep???

Replies

• Playingwithfire89
    Options
    Heres what i would recommend - Wake one hour earlier, and go to bed a half hour earlier (30 minutes of hard cardio is more than enough to get your metabolism revved- and 8 hours of sleep is all you need.) Studies show getting 30-15 minutes exercise a day is better than an hour every other day, because it can cause you to burn an extra 300 calories (just sitting around.) afterward!
  • ShapinUpChamBam
    Options
    Sleep is very important to me & I won't be able to function until night time if I don't get enough sleep. If you can workout in the mornings & still function for the entire day, being consistent & if maintaining that schedule doesn't kill you. Then I would say, DO IT! Because working out in the morning is not only going to help you make better choices throughout the day but your body will also be burning calories all day long!
    If you cannot force yourself to get up every morning, I recommend trying what I do. Pick a time when you would normally be headed home on any given day & tell yourself you just have to make an appearance at the gym ( sometimes I even convince myself I really don't even have to workout because I don't want to)... But once you get there.... I have never had a day where I show up to the gym, do nothing and leave. You will workout at that point.
    Idk if that's what your looking for, but do whats best for you! :)
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Can you get to bed a little earlier?
  • krystyncoughran
    Options
    when i was with my trainer he would always tell me that a good 8 hours is key to a great workout. because thats when your body is rebuilding itself. if you dont give it enought ime to rebuild then your workout will not have maximum benifits anyways. so SLEEP lol. time management is kiler tho, i understand. im currently working 2 jobs. but youjust have to make the time and stay committed to being healthy!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i sometimes get up at 0430 to work out before work. but then i end up crashing at about 830pm. this makes it doable longer term, but i couldn't sleep less- i'd be far too grumpy, and my runs would consist of me hauling my sorry *kitten* around rather than enjoying it.
    can you get up early every other day, and introduce it like that? that way if it knackers you out you've got a 'lie in' the next day to recover.
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Very good things to think about. It seems the general consensus is don't cut back my sleep!! I agree! I have got to force myself to go to bed earlier, and perhaps find ways to work out at home a few days a week, that alone would take out 1/2 hr of travel time. I was going for runs every day but now that it's cold and dark early my options are limited :) Thanks for all of your answers.
  • johnnyhodge
    johnnyhodge Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It all depends on you. For me, 6.5 hrs wouldn't cut it....especially over the long haul. Surely you can come up with a compromise.
  • Jkmumma
    Jkmumma Posts: 254
    Options
    Vote for sleep. #notamorningperson
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Heres what i would recommend - Wake one hour earlier, and go to bed a half hour earlier (30 minutes of hard cardio is more than enough to get your metabolism revved- and 8 hours of sleep is all you need.) Studies show getting 30-15 minutes exercise a day is better than an hour every other day, because it can cause you to burn an extra 300 calories (just sitting around.) afterward!

THIS! Great, balanced suggestion.