Weight loss plateau....

Options
hi there,
I am so disappointed that for another week in a row I have not lost any weight. I know that I should be patient, but with consistent exercise and a healthy low carb diet I think I was hoping for more. Any ideas or suggestions?
Thank you!

Replies

• kevinkalis
    Options
    First off, the plateau is a good thing. It means what you're doing's having an effect on your body. It's becoming more efficient, unfortunately, this means you're burning less calories with everything you do.

Unfortunately, the plateau also means your deficit isn't big enough to notice weight loss. I'd say, either lower calories by 10%. You could eat more fibrous vegetables in lieu of higher calorie foods, giving you greater satiety. Otherwise, you could increase your exercise duration or, preferably, intensity. What kind of exercise do you do? Cardio? Strength? If it's cardio, you could switch it up and do some HIIT. If it's weight training, try increasing weight.
  • clairy1982
    clairy1982 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! Can't really adjust calories, already on 1200, so not sure if I could sustain going under that for a long period of time. I do mostly cardio stuff, cycling and walking the dogs (over long distances and at quite a brisk pace). Unfortunately I live in a small town and so don't have access to a gym where strength training would be available. But shall persevere and see if I can tweak the type of food I'm eating.
    Thank you!
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I had a big cheat day on sunday and suddenly dropped like 4lbs this week.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How long have you been on a calorie deficit and why are you doing low carb?
  • hkry3250
    hkry3250 Posts: 140
    Options
    actually, eat more. I seen most days, you're still atleast 300 cals below your goal. You're goals already low, so you need to eat more to keep your metabolism up. Also, when you do add food, you add mostly fat, try adding more lean protein and lower your fat intake. You said you don't have access to a gym, try doing some body weight exercises, ie squats, push ups, pull ups, dips, etc. or go to your local walmart and pick up some weights there.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    First off, the plateau is a good thing. It means what you're doing's having an effect on your body. It's becoming more efficient, unfortunately, this means you're burning less calories with everything you do.

Unfortunately, the plateau also means your deficit isn't big enough to notice weight loss. I'd say, either lower calories by 10%. You could eat more fibrous vegetables in lieu of higher calorie foods, giving you greater satiety. Otherwise, you could increase your exercise duration or, preferably, intensity. What kind of exercise do you do? Cardio? Strength? If it's cardio, you could switch it up and do some HIIT. If it's weight training, try increasing weight.

Suggestion: find out how many calories someone is on before suggesting either an increase or decrease to them. Many people on this site are on 1,200 and while that is not a 'magic number' it is very unlikely someone needs to go below it to lose weight.
  • clairy1982
    Options
    Hey there,
    Been at a calorie deficit for 6 weeks consistently, lost a little inn the beginning but none for the last three weeks. I'm on low carb as I recently (6 weeks ago) found out that i am intolerant to ALL grains (very sad state of affairs). I was encouraged to eat 'healthy' fats and I am feeling much better thanks to that. I will try some strength training using my body weight and possibly some more cycling. Thank you for all the suggestions!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Hey there,
    Been at a calorie deficit for 6 weeks consistently, lost a little inn the beginning but none for the last three weeks. I'm on low carb as I recently (6 weeks ago) found out that i am intolerant to ALL grains (very sad state of affairs). I was encouraged to eat 'healthy' fats and I am feeling much better thanks to that. I will try some strength training using my body weight and possibly some more cycling. Thank you for all the suggestions!

6 weeks is too early to have any major hormonal imbalances so I would not suggest a diet break or anything like that.

How accurately are you logging food intake? Are you weighing and measuring everything you eat/drink?
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    You are eating far too few calories for someone who is active, you will end up burning muscle which reduces your metabolism, and risk sending your body into 'starvation mode' which reduces it further still. For low carb your protein intake is sometimes pretty low too, plan your days so you get a better balance. Be sure you are getting ALL the nutrients your body needs, if you are not eating grains or pulses you need to eat plenty more nuts, seeds, canned oily fish with bones in and dark green vegetables to make up for the micronutrients you miss. Frankly your diet looks very restricted, mostly fruit and dairy.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Few suggestions:

1. More protein.

2. Take a daily vitamin or increase carbs by intake of more fruits and vegetables which do not have the grains you are intolerant of. Carbohydrates tend to have the most vitamins and minerals in them, if you do not get enough of these, after a while, it can slow your energy usage down.

3. Eat more. Someone that is exercising will need more calories per day than someone that is not.

4. Re-assess your weight loss goal. Generally, if MFP suggests 1200 calories a day it is either due to you being far too ambitious with your weight loss goals or that you are a really short individual.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    A plateau is 6 weeks or more with no weight loss while being consistent on diet and exercise. Anything else is a stall. Increasing the intensity of your workout is the first thing you should try.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • clairy1982
    Options
    Logging accurately as I have a kitchen scale and weigh everything, as well as load the nutritional info from the products I do buy. I log as I eat so as far as I am aware it's pretty accurate. Doctor said my cortisol levels are too high and the diet of no grains as well as increased exercise may help with this. Thanks for replying!
  • clairy1982
    Options
    Thanks for replying. Strange that you say my intake is mostly fruit and dairy. Only eat strawberries and blueberries in the mornings. But will review. Thanks for the advice.