HRM Advice

Options
I would like to get an HRM so I can fine tune what I am burning each day. BUT I don't want to spend bunches on it. Anyone have and suggestions?

Replies

• warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    BUMP - I want advice on this too!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    The Polar FT4 is by far the most popular among folks here. You can find one on Amazon for around $60.

Whatever you choose, make sure it has a chest strap. The ones you have to put your fingers on are not going to be as accurate.
  • DonaA123
    DonaA123 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    BUMP - I want advice on this too!
    me to:drinker:
  • honeybee1036
    honeybee1036 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    me too
  • kdub67
    kdub67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I've got a Polar FT4 and really love it (though I did have to send it back to Polar for repair...I shipped it off almost two weeks ago and can't wait for its return!!)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Any of the Polar products are great. The FT4 is a good basic model at a reasonable price. The Polar chest straps are soft and very comfy, the watch part is easy to set up and from experience they are as accurate as you'll get.
  • dd4238
    dd4238 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have the polar ft4 and I love it. I originally bought it for spin class last year and decided to use it every time I went to the gym instead. I find it helpful to look down and see that I might be working myself too hard to notice that I can work harder.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I get not wanting to spend much but to be perfectly honest, with something like this, you really can't go cheap. There are several models that are barely more than glorified pedometers or wrist only units but they only give you the same kind of guesstimates you get from MFP or a cardio machine because they don't have much data to go on.

If you really want a more accurate calorie count you need to go with a good name like Polar or Garmin. The Polar FT4 and FT7 seem to be pretty popular around here and you can find them for about $60 online or possibly cheaper with a coupon to a store that carries them. My friend got hers for about $40 bucks at a sporting goods store.

At the very least, you need to have an HRM with a chest strap so that it gets a constant read of your heart rate for more accurate calorie counting. I have used the Polar F6 and currently have an FT4 and both are great! The chest strap seems to be a concern to a lot of folks but they are very comfortable.
  • Kelogik
    Options
    I got the Polar FT7 on Amazon for about $70. I know it's expensive, but I highly recommend it. It motivates me to work harder at the gym and I have definitely got my money's worth out of it in the past couple months.
  • slepygrl
    slepygrl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    The Polar FT4 is by far the most popular among folks here. You can find one on Amazon for around $60.

Whatever you choose, make sure it has a chest strap. The ones you have to put your fingers on are not going to be as accurate.

Couldn't agree more!!! I <3 mine!!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I got the Polar FT7 on Amazon for about $70. I know it's expensive, but I highly recommend it. It motivates me to work harder at the gym and I have definitely got my money's worth out of it in the past couple months.

exactly what this hot *kitten* b*tch said!! I have the same one. Polar FT7. It's wonderfulllllll. Whatever you do....just make sure you get an HRM with a chest strap.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7 is what I have.. paid $80.00 with free shipping..
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Add me to the FT4 list! Got it over 2 years ago and still love it! Have only had to replace the batteries in the watch and strap piece once each. It's comfortable and works great! Occasionally it will have a 0 reading but if I stop it and start it again or adjust the strap it always starts working again.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I got my Polar FT4 about 2 months ago. My plan was to wear it when I was working out on my Wii at home since most of the cardio machines at my gym have adn HRM built in. But I find myself wearing my FT4 for all my workouts now, including those at the gym.

I like that it tells me when I'm "in the zone" and I found it very easy to set up and use.
  • MistyAnneK
    MistyAnneK Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input.... I think I am going to look into getting the FT4. Seems like a winner overall and you all have given it a grand review!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    would like to get an HRM so I can fine tune what I am burning each day

You mention getting an HRM so you can "fine tune what you're burning each day". Keep in mind that the FT4, FT7, etc only work well when you're working out; they get screwy when your heart goes below your workout zone for too long. If you're looking to get something to tell you how you've burned throughout the day you should look at the Fitbit or something similar.