Chinese Food

Options
what would be a healthy option at a Chinese place. aside from Sushi.

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Sushi at a Chinese place? Be careful!

But seriously, there's not a lot I would consider healthy. We eat at Chinese/Korean/Japanese restaurants every weekend on our cheat day. Try to get lean meats like fish and chicken that are steamed or roasted. Stay away from fried stuff. Many veggie dishes may seem healthy but are often loaded with salt and sugary sauces. Request brown rice if available and go easy on it.
  • SweetlyVague
    SweetlyVague Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Unless it's Chinese food you're making yourself, there's little that's healthy at restaurants. Definitely delicious, but healthy is a long shot. If you eat in small moderation, it won't make a huge difference, but be careful. :)
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Anything with rice and veggies, but make sure they hold the MSG and salt. Avoid oily things, too.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Hot and sour soup. Egg drop/flower soup. pork 'n seeds. Pick off the breading if you can't avoid it. Drink ice water with your meal. Don't weigh yourself for at least 3 days after, you are going to gain from all the sodium.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    It's gonna be about portion control. Don't eat fried, or anything with "Sweet and Sour". White rice is fine (nutritionally it's about the same as brown rice). Personally, I just eat what I can put on a 9 inch plate once.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Broccoli and beef. Egg drop soup. Foods at the salad bar. (cottage cheese, fruit, nuts, etc)

Non breaded shrimp. Lean looking meats. rice.

I've logged the broccoli and beef before, not bad.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Chinese resteraunts are a minefield. I'd be biting the bullet and just counting it as a cheat and picking what I wanted.

Otherwise broth based soups are probably your best bet, or seeing of they can do stir fry with sauce on the side
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    something unbreaded (no sweet & sour chicken or anything)..... not covered in sauce..... You can usually request steamed veggies & chicken or whatever.
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Check out the menu at your chinese place. My four year old LOVES the chinese buffet. I cannot find ANYTHING healthy on that buffet because it's really small with not a lot of options. I, now, order off their menu. I get the steamed chicken & veggies with black bean sauce on the side.
  • MadtownMadisonian
    MadtownMadisonian Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I eat Chinese several times a month but try to stick with vegetables and things that are non-oily, such as steamed vegetables, plain rice and broths. I was surprised when I checked into the calorie load for things like dumplings, even when steamed, so I use those as a treat rather than a full appetizer or main course.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    what would be a healthy option at a Chinese place. aside from Sushi.
    Sushi? That's not Chinese food, its a Japanese dish.

Well the only thing that comes to mind is bok choy or wonton soup.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Sushi at a Chinese place? Be careful!

Welllll, they all look the same.

:bigsmile:
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Avoid fried stuff - particularly the "candied meat" options. Stir fried veggies can be high in salt and deceptively oily. Try soups or noodles in soup dishes. My favorite is steamed chicken with bean sprouts or gai lan in soup with noodles. Yum. Wor wonton soup is all sorts of tasty things in broth - veggies, seafood, mushrooms and a few wontons.. Go for steamed fish or chicken, (sound bland but are prepared with ginger and scallions and are very tasty). I like gai lan with oyster sauce (lightly boiled vegetable and ask for the sauce on the side and use just a dab.)
  • 2BeFit4Jesus
    Options
    Vegetable Soup.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Brown rice if available. Chicken with Broccoli - sauce on the side.
  • SweetlyVague
    SweetlyVague Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Asian fusion places do exist to the folks feeling the need to correct that sushi is Japanese. :P
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    egg drop soup, stir fry veggies, beef w/broccoli, steamed dumplings
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I order chicken and broccoli with the sauce on the side. No rice!

You can control how much sauce you have and your veggies aren't completely saturated. It's not the healthiest by any means but it's better than LOADS of the stuff on the menu
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Beef with broccoli is a good one or shrimp with vegetables.
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    get your dish steamed with sauce on the side, brown rice rather than white