Weight loss and ring size

Options
dansls1
dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
Ok, so I've lost right around 60 pounds. I can't wear my wedding band anymore - it's too big. It's titanium, so it can't be resized. It drives me crazy to not wear it because I've gotten so used to it.

I have somewhere between 5-10 pounds left to my goal - I'm more worried about having a somewhat flat midsection and working on look more than a scale number now. My question is for those who have lost and kept it off - do you think it's safe for me to go buy another titanium wedding band sized for where I am now? I don't want to buy something that is going to end up being too big in another 4-6 months - but I'm anxious to get a new one.

Thoughts / experience?

Replies

• TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd wait. You can always wear your current band on a chain around your neck for the meantime?

Maybe you can surprise your wife by hosting a renewal of vows for your new ring...and surprise her with a new one too. ;)
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I'd wait too... the necklace thing is a great idea for now.

Even though it's only 10 pounds - your body may change more than you realise...
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    how tall are you?
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I'd wait as well..... Until your finale that is..... That would be the sweetest thing to do for your wife though and it's a wonderful idea.......
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Why don't you buy a ring sizer insert for your ring for now until you're where you want to be weight wise? They're inexpensive and you will still be able to wear your ring.
  • PDiddy0913
    Options
    That's a tough one. I like the sentimental value of my ring. It was the EXACT ring that was put on my finger on that super important day a little over two years ago. Call me a sap. I'm down 67 lbs. and had to get my ring resized this past summer. I think I need to get it resized again soon actually. Thankfully, mine is white gold. I would wait if you're planning on losing more weight.

Good luck!!
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I worry about the chain idea - I work in a manufacturing plant and the potential to either lose it or have something unsafe happen is too great. I actually would take it off and put it in my pocket if I was working around chemicals or anything mechanical to be safe when I wear it on my finger. It's a nice thought - maybe something for the weekend ;)

I'm torn between waiting and wanting a new one - but you are probably right, waiting is better.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Why don't you buy a ring sizer insert for your ring for now until you're where you want to be weight wise? They're inexpensive and you will still be able to wear your ring.

That's what I had to do, and I recommend it.
  • bdur76
    bdur76 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Me and my wife both lost so much weight that we wear our rings on our middle fingers. It bothered me at first, but now its sort of a symbol of what we were able to accomplish together!
  • sdreed25
    sdreed25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I've got a little expander on mine that sits on the inside and fills the gap where the fat used to sit! It wasn't expensive and took a little getting used to but it's all good now and I get to keep my original ring. I guess it depends how big your gaps is, mine meant it could get over my knuckle easily but if yours is mega lose it might not work
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I am also down about 60 pounds and and dying to fix my ring situation. My right (dominant) hand fingers are a touch bigger than my left hand fingers so for now I'm wearing my wedding ring on my right hand. Even then it's a little too big. I'm waiting for a while though. I want my weight to be stable for a while before I remedy that situation. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you are still wanting to lose bodyfat, then wait... i was not even that big when i started to lose weight but still went down 2 ring sizes and now i am at a steady weight but losing bodyfat my rings are getting loose again!
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    sdreed - I forgot about those. I have a buddy who has that in his ring to make it fit better. It's worth a shot since they are cheap.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I think waiting is the best idea. My fingers got smaller alot smaller then got bigger as I lifted more weight my hands got stronger and my fingers got thicker. You could wind up getting a new ring then finding it tight.
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Me and my wife both lost so much weight that we wear our rings on our middle fingers. It bothered me at first, but now its sort of a symbol of what we were able to accomplish together!

this! i wear mine on my middle finger right now, i'll get it resized when i'm ready.
  • SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have one of those ring inserts/sizer thingamagig's and I just found it to be too uncomfortable to wear. Would catch on things, or scratch...it wasn't awesome for me! :(

I would just wait and then buy a new set for you and the wifey! :) I know that I will have to have mine re-sized...
  • karibj2010
    karibj2010 Posts: 264 Member
    Options

That's what I had to do, and I recommend it.

The ring sizer insert is a great idea. I am going to have to get my rings resized at some point. I have lifetime resizing but I don't want to do it now and be without my rings for 3 weeks, and then have to do it again in a few months. I will probably do the ring inserts until I am ready to do the actual resizing.
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I lost enough that I moved my wedding ring from my ring finger to my middle finger, and eventually it got too big to wear on my middle finger. At that point I just stopped wearing it until I hit my weight loss goal. Once I hit my goal, I got it re-sized.

Just make sure your wife knows why you have stopped wearing it, you should be good :)
  • thatjulesgirl
    thatjulesgirl Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Get a tattoo on your ring finger, then it changes size with you (and it sure means forever :P )