How long does it take for stretchmarks to fade?

Options
I know it's different for everyone, but what's the usual or how was it for you? And what did you use if anything at all? And how often?

Replies

• brittuhnay
    brittuhnay Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I've used Bio Oil for scars/stretch marks, it works great and its good for your skin in general. :) It's somewhat expensive but totally worth it.
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Stretchmarks never dissappear completely. They just turn into a pearly shade of your skin tone. Try not to fall for any commercial products, as none of them work deep enough in the skin to "remove" them. I've had stretchmarks fading in 6 months and some others took longer. Just keep your skin well hydrated :)
    Each person is different, so yours might fade a lot quicker.
  • bdtyson77302
    bdtyson77302 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    it's true....they never go away. I got AWFUL stretch marks with my first child and after I kept cheap coconut oil on my stomach and was able to wear a bikini by the next summer! :) Don't waste money on expensive products...they will NOT work any better than a good lotion.
  • KrayKira
    KrayKira Posts: 230
    Options
    I've used Bio Oil for scars/stretch marks, it works great and its good for your skin in general. :) It's somewhat expensive but totally worth it.

Could not agree more.. Bio Oil is AMAZING
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    They never completely disappear (I'm 45, voice of experience). They're the result of skin damage, so that leaves a mark. Like any other injury that results in a scar they will fade over time. They won't fade completely, but they will become far less noticeable.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    My youngest is five, and my stretch marks are just now getting to the same color as my skin and becoming less visible.
  • red9812
    red9812 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Everyone is right - they never go away! I tried a number of things, but ultimately I found it just takes time for them to fade.
  • toogsmom
    toogsmom Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    tanning bed helps and some creams other than that ....get use to them after 4 kids ...mine are there to stay!!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    bout a year....... Cocoa butter helps but I still have 2 from 8 years ago that won't dissapear....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    They are SCARS to the skins. Scars don't go away. There are lots of temporary fixes, but once you get them, then you need to learn to accept them.
    Get fit, get healthy. There are LOTS of people without stretch marks who are not fit and unhealthy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I have stretch marks from 2 pregnancies. My son is 6 and my daughter is 3. For the most part they're pretty darn faded. But the distorted skin will always be there.
  • dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Why would you want them to fade? Mine look like I got in a fight with Wolverine. Because I did. And I won. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Mine faded to normal skin colour within 6 months, and I gave birth in my mid-30's...

They will never go away completely, but even with the enormous amount of stretch marks I had (and they were the nasty, angry-looking, red ones that looked like I'd been mauled by a wild animal)... I can barely see them now. I have to be looking for them. I did nothing special other than try to get lots of fluids.
  • jennynagra
    jennynagra Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Rock on, Dimoul!
  • grandm0ther10
    Options
    I realize many people start with more beautiful bodies than I ever had, but I regard stretch marks as glorious battle scars from a life lived in generosity. So I didn't really notice when they faded. Your husband probably finds them an attractive reminder of the child you bore for him. Many Christmas blessings on you and your family!
  • rubixcyoob
    Options
    My son is 28 months and my stretchmarks are still VERY visible. My doctor said it was the worst he had seen, which says something. I gained about 90+lbs and blew up everywhere.

I have stretchmarks on my stomach, lower back/bum, hips, upper inner thights, knees, inner upper arms.

They have faded, but won't ever go away.
  • najib81
    Options
    They are scars indeed and topical massage with creams and oils which are rich in vitamin E can help reduce the discolouration and even the depth/height of the scar but this method never completely removes the marks.
    There are more effective methods like derma rolling which you can do from home, available on Amazon. Deeper grades work better (using topical anaesthetising cream like Dr. Numb for reduce the pain if you're squeamish like me) but you need to make sure you are cleaning your roller and surface skin (disinfectant and sterilisers) and using natural vitamin E oil after to encourage healing and cell regrowth. The minor injuries the derma roller causes, encourages new collagen and cells to grow where the scar/stretch marks are.
    I have been using this method with pure (un-roasted) Argan Oil which has one of the highest concentration of vitamin E contents. I have been using this method on my arm pit/chest area for about 8 months and the scars are completely gone but this took time and I ran out of numbing cream at one point so make sure you're stocked up!
    Alternatively, look in the cosmetic "Co2 laser and PRP for stretch marks" procedure (youtube 'Dr. Thomas Burn co2' as an example) which most good dermatologists and aestheticians practice. Best of luck!! ;)
  • jennynagra
    jennynagra Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Rock on, Dimoul!
  • BalenciaLynn
    BalenciaLynn Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    i use bio oil, it works if you use it twice a day.
    Its a bit expensive but i buy mine from winners so its cheaper and i usually get a bigger bottle.
    I've started using it all over my body so i can get an even skintone :)

for my face though since bio oil is too heavy and i break out i use tea tree oil from the body shop
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    My baby is 27 years old and I'm still waiting..............