Slipped-Disk

Options
Has anyone had surgery to repair it? How did it go? My doctor gave me the option today at my appointment cause the disk slipped again and it happened 7 times in 5 yrs

Replies

• bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I've had surgery for a herniated disk, three actually.

The procedure is called a micro diskectomy (spelling is probably wrong).

Is this what he is proposing?

There are a lot of ways these can go. My first one was supposed to be a quick surgery, in and out, walking the next day, etc. What they discovered was a lot of scar tissue and they had to really be pretty invasive. I ended up in the hospital for a week. Basically they wouldn't let me go home until I could get out of bed, walk to the bathroom, and have a bowel movement, all on my own.

Five years later, I had another one and it was more like what I was expecting the first time. I was back to work (office job) about two weeks later. It takes a while before you feel normal, but when you wake up and notice that pain in your leg gone, it is a welcome relief (even though you might feel pain from the procedure).

Recovery from the third one was quick but I had trouble standing up straight. Even after PT, I just couldn't do it. I looked like I had severe scoliosis. If I stood in front of a mirror, I could force myself to do it, but as so as I started walking, I got that curve in my spine. After getting a ton of tests and seeing a variety of Dr's, the physiologist put all the pieces together and prescribed pool therapy. Within a week I was standing up straight.

That last surgery was 11 years ago. I have days where things hurt, but for the most part I'm pretty good. There are things I simply don't do anymore, but thats life I suppose. I started P90X and ended up pulling or straining something back there, and was on the couch for a week. I'm better now, but I don't be doing P90X anymore... just not worth the risk with everything I've been through.

You will get responses here, I imaging, where people will say it was the greatest thing they ever did. I talk to people that say they were back to work the next week. That is great that some people have super positive results. I think I was more on the other end. I don't regret the procedures, but I'm certainly not the same guy I used to be.
  • fwilson1031
    Options
    I had a discectomy also... about 5 years ago. I had one herniated and two bulging discs. I work on my feet, in healthcare and I was only out of work for two weeks... I would say it was worth it for me. I was having really intense pain in my back, hips and legs before my surgery. I was only 22 and felt like I was 50! I would spend some time weighing your options really well before you jump into surgery. Back surgery is back surgery...it can go either way. Good luck to you!!!
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had surgery to repair it? How did it go? My doctor gave me the option today at my appointment cause the disk slipped again and it happened 7 times in 5 yrs

I had lumbar surgery in 2004. It was emergency surgery; I had flare ups off and on for four years then it finally got to a point where I could barely walk.

I went to the ER and the next morning I was in surgery......somewhat unusual for this procedure but nerves were at risk.

The surgery went well and the results were great. I was 22 at the time.

I have had a few flare ups with other discs but nothing too severe.

As braddwood wrote, it is different for everyone. My experience was positive.

In terms of evaluating how to move forward, it is a matter of risk and reward.
  • Mandypt
    Mandypt Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Up intil yesterday morning, I was working out at the gym for 1.5 hrs a day/4 days a week. I thought my physical therapy helped the last time. All I did was sit down to use the restroom and now im back to square one. Most of my family is telling me to just put up with it but they aren't in my shoes. I'm tired of my back ruling my life. My husband and I want to have kids soon. How would I be able to carry them if this happens every 6 months? I certainly can't take steroids to loosen my nerves in my back while pregnant.
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I had surgery for a herniated disc in 2008. Most of the disc was out of the space and was pressing on a nerve, which. Aused the most severe pain I have ever had, going all down my leg. I spent a week and a half in agony, then had the surgery. I woke up pain-free and it was wonderful! They had me up walking the next day and I had to wear a brace anytime I was up and around for some time. I did have to spend a couple months mostly lying down, so the recovery process was long, but well worth it. It was four years before I had anymore trouble with my back, and it was relatively short-lived, with no nerve involvement.
  • skanabar
    skanabar Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have had a microdiscetomy as well before i got pregnant coz pregnancy would have been a nightmare with the pain. I felt great after the surgery , but its been 6 yrs now and I have re-herniated the same disc again, my back is sore most of the days but nothing like how it used to be before the surgery.

i might just get it fused if i need to get operated again!

u need to strengthen the core to protect the back, n i do get flare ups very often, back problems suck most of the time. but the surgery helped me for sure.

goodluck
  • Mandypt
    Options
    Thanks everyone. My hubby and I talked it out. Too many times the last few years so we think its time to get it fixed surgically.
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    Chiropractor?

My dad had several slipped disks and eventually surgery. After the surgery he had another slipped disk and decided to try out a chiropractor before he explored surgical options again. He's been going to a chiropractor ever since and hasn't had any major back problems for the past 25 years.

I've had a few lower back problems (muscular) over the past 10 years and I visit my chiropractor whenever it flairs up. I'm always back to normal within a few days; compared to a doctors visit and pain killers for a week or more to clear up the same issue.
  • Mandypt
    Options
    Chiropractor?

My dad had several slipped disks and eventually surgery. After the surgery he had another slipped disk and decided to try out a chiropractor before he explored surgical options again. He's been going to a chiropractor ever since and hasn't had any major back problems for the past 25 years.

I've had a few lower back problems (muscular) over the past 10 years and I visit my chiropractor whenever it flairs up. I'm always back to normal within a few days; compared to a doctors visit and pain killers for a week or more to clear up the same issue.

my chiropractor made it worse.. thanks though.
  • anybeary
    anybeary Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Up intil yesterday morning, I was working out at the gym for 1.5 hrs a day/4 days a week. I thought my physical therapy helped the last time. All I did was sit down to use the restroom and now im back to square one. Most of my family is telling me to just put up with it but they aren't in my shoes. I'm tired of my back ruling my life. My husband and I want to have kids soon. How would I be able to carry them if this happens every 6 months? I certainly can't take steroids to loosen my nerves in my back while pregnant.

Have you tried regular inversion therapy? I have had slipped disc issues off and on for a long time, and this is the only thing that seems to work--almost instantly. You can get an inversion device to use at home, and they are very effective. They work to lengthen your back, and create space between the vertebrae so that your disc can slip back into place. Inversion tables are a bit much, but I recommend the roman chair style inversion devices where you're held by your knees and flip forward. Seen here: http://www.comfortchannel.com/prod.itml/icOid/268
  • fwilson1031
    Options
    Chiropractor?

my chiropractor made it worse.. thanks though.

My chiropractor also made it worse.