Cutting out diet soda

Options
jereneyz
jereneyz Posts: 52 Member
Hi all :)

Ever since I've started MFP, I've stopped drinking soda. I've been such a diet soda addict for the past 10 years -- I drink about 10 cups of soda daily. I'm really glad to say that I've officially been soda free for about a month now and I'm feeling great! My skin is a lot more radient and I'm building so much more muscles compared to before. I have also started eating organic fruits and vegetables more often, and substituted some of my refined carbs for whole grains.

Even though I have not lost weight, I feel a lot healthier and my clothes seem to fit a little looser :)

Just wanted to share this piece of good news with everyone

I'm always looking for more friends, so please add me!

Replies

• srob98
    srob98 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I have only been on here for about a week or so, but I have dropped all soda, too! I drank diet soda - probably 2 or 3 a day. After reading how horrible diet sodas are, I decided while I was getting mt eating under control, I would get the soda out of my diet completely. I am not one to eliminate foods from my diet, like potatoes, etc., but diet soda seems to do nothing but harm your body! I, too, feel a lot better, and actually enjoy my meals more when I have them with water. I think I have upped my water intake from maybe a glass a day to about 7-8. Definitely makes a difference! So far, I have lost 10 pounds!
  • Davelh1976
    Davelh1976 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I quit sodas in june. Water only a little juice here and there. once a day a flavoured water. i think i have more energy without caffiene. My coworkers drink engery drinks heavily and always tired. I drink water and have great engery levels. I like you are concerned about diet drinks.
  • mann1975
    Options
    davebsmm, GREAT weight loss!!! Congratulations!

I used to drink a lot of diet Coke and I still like the kick and the taste but I have cut it down and now I allow myself only a couple in a month or so. I have migraines and although I am not a chocolate fan, if I want to beat my migraine, diet coke and chocolate help a lot. So I use it like a prescription medicine, when necessary.

But you are absolutely right. It is better not to drink them at all.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Good job I am glad it is working out well for you. I used to drink tons of diet soda but I cut it out completely at the beginning of the year not so much for weight loss but just because water seemed like a healthier option in general. These days I will have a diet occasionally- like maybe 1-2 per week at a restaurant or something but that's about it.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Nope - haven't cut it out - I did for a couple of weeks and had terrible sugar cravings and didn't lose weight. I don't plan on giving it up in the future so I'm not giving it up now.

I appreciate why people cut it out and I'm very happy that you have done so, well done on your journey :D
  • wdamisch
    wdamisch Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to cut out soda too. It's tough. I'm having a hard time when going out to eat, and sometimes I just want something other than water. What are you replacing it with? Any suggestions?
  • ROCKNMIMI
    ROCKNMIMI Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I too have been an habitual soda crinker, coca~cola. If I tried to go without one daily I would get extremely nauseated and light headed. My doctor suggested I wean myself of by having one periodically. For seven weeks now I have been only having 1 maybe 1 diet soda per day (I eventually want to eliminate the diet sodas also). I've only lost 8 pounds but I feel so much better and I my clothes feel better as well. The sodas kept be bloated and helped me to develop the abdominal pooch that I am trying so hard to loose. Along with exercise and no soda's and eating healthier I have lost 1 inch from my middle. We can do it. For those who are having problems coming off of the sodays drink plenty of water. Occasionally try some Crystal Light packets to go in your water. They are anywhere from 5 to 15 calories per pack depending on the flavor.

Good Luck!!!
  • sahm23ladies
    sahm23ladies Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    YAY! This Sunday will be one month for me too. I had reduced my soda intake to just one a day and then just cut it out. Sometimes it's hard but I'm so glad to be done with that.

Keep up the good work!
  • vabchloser
    vabchloser Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Great job! I have about 5 diet sodas a week. I just can't say no sometimes, but....I don't drink real soda...or really anything else but coffee and water.
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i gave up diet sodas a few months ago. i used to have one every afternoon. no real reason - just decided to have coffee instead and the sweetener is just kinda gross to me. i haven't noticed any giant changes in myself, but i can say that i never crave one anymore, so it can be done!
  • mann1975
    Options
    I'm trying to cut out soda too. It's tough. I'm having a hard time when going out to eat, and sometimes I just want something other than water. What are you replacing it with? Any suggestions?

Home made ice tea? Just tea?

EDIT Oops u said eating out. What about fizzy water, say with lemon?
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I was a big time Coke Zero drinker. Since I have joined this site I have only had one bottle. I will still have one when out the odd time, but I'm def not drinking it daily or even weekly. Nothing against it at all, just know that for me it can be a trigger to eat bad. Not sure of the science on that one but that is how I feel.

I work from home and I used to almost perpetually have a coke zero on the go, I have successfully replaced it with green tea. I got a "Perfect Tea Maker" from Teavana and it was game changing. Makes it super simple to steep loose leaf tea. I'll have a couple cups of green and oolong a day now. It is winter here in Canada though, so maybe the summer I will be craving something a bit cooler.

Do any of you former soda drinkers, drink alcohol? I haven't drank in awhile, but that is my one concern. A diet and Jack was my goto mixed drink. Gonna miss it. I guess I'll have to become a vodka and soda guy.
  • karotladee
    karotladee Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    wow! you went cold turkey on diet soda! I only managed to cut my consumption to 1 can a day. I was curious to know what you're drinking in place of soda?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    My skin is a lot more radient and I'm building so much more muscles compared to before. I have also started eating organic fruits and vegetables more often, and substituted some of my refined carbs for whole grains.
    Well you don't "build" muscle while on a calorie deficit (there are exceptions,but you don't look to be in that category), so what you're seeing is less body fat which is a good thing.
    Muscle building means adding weight since adding muscle means weight increase.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mikemcd22
    mikemcd22 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    @wdamisch:

I cut Soda completely out of my diet about 45 days ago. I was drinking 3-4 20oz sodas a week (non-diet). I have lost 10lbs and I feel great (cut out fast food too). I have replaced soda with the occasional Life Water Zero which, believe me, is not the same as soda but at least you get a guild free alternative to Pepsi or Coke and it has "some" taste to it.

I also read that Orange Juice is no bargain so I have stopped drinking juices as well. Down to just beer and water... (not even thinking about giving up my beer so forget it!! :drinker: ) Good luck!

Mike
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I was drinking tons of coke zeros (3-8 bottles/cans a day). I quit diet soda cold turkey back in the spring. I haven't slipped up once. Glad I did it, I dont miss it at all---the stuff is no good. I drink a ton of water and tea now.
  • 1yoyoKAT
    1yoyoKAT Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Years ago, I was a diet coke addict drinking a 2 liter bottle a day. Cut it out, then restarted with the limitation of a can a day. Now, I've cut it out again about 2 months ago. Initially I missed the caffeine (I don't drink coffee) and I don't attribute any weight loss to quitting soda, but I do feel a lot better drinking just water. A side benefit, a lot less belching. :blushing:
  • rworthman
    Options
    oh no! that was my drink too, and I just swore to give up diet sodas, right before a party tomorrow...what was I thinking? :) Keep up the good work, thanks for the tip on drinking tea instead. Can you do iced green tea in summer?
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    For those looking to replace soda, even sweetened iced tea is a healthier choice--at least you get some good phytochemicals and stuff. Plus, most people make it with regular old sugar, which is a step up the bad list from HFCS. And if you make your own, you can gradually back off on the sugar. I've learned to like unsweetened green or black tea, but it took a determined effort fueled mostly by my resentment/disappointment that I had become addicted to mass produced garbage.
  • gooteek
    Options
    I have seen a few times that even diet soda adds 7 pounds a year if you consume just two a day. Many runners also say the carbon dioxide cuts your wind when running (more difficult to manage O2 levels). Many studies reveal drinking between 64-100 oz of water a day can help you drop weight and Bob Harper's (Guy from Biggest Loser) book, The Skinny Rules, has his number one rule as Drink a Glass of water before each meal....NO EXCUSES. Filling up on water helps you to eat less at meals, thus reducing caloric intake.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!