Elliptical ONLY Success???

Options
HELP!! Has anyone had success in using an elliptical only?? I'm having a breast augmentation in 13 days and the anticipation is killing me. Not as far as the surgery but the recovery time in order to start working out again. I am banned from TurboFire for TWELVE freaking weeks and my doctor said that I can't do anything but walk three weeks following my procedure. I can start using the elliptical no sooner than 3 weeks but I'm scared that it's not going to be enough to keep me in shape.

Replies

• christou84
    christou84 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I think you should be fine... I'd do it for longer periods if you can... it's best than no exercise at all ;-)
  • Chikipiwi
    Chikipiwi Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The major part gaining/loosing will be your food intake. Just stay withing your calorie goal and you should be fine.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Compensate your calories burned by eating a little less. Part of surgery is recovery. Don't rush recovery because that's when complications happen. So you're out a month..................that can be reattained. Going back for another surgery to correct complications would hinder you longer.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • krowanvil
    krowanvil Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Most of my workouts are walking and elliptical and I have managed to lose close to 15 lbs since the end of September. As with any weight loss plan, it is just cals in vs cals out. If you want a little more effort in your walking, carry some weights while you walk (if the doc OKs this) and it will work your upper back and shoulders by just carrying them.
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    Grats on the new boobs.
  • sarahpalmer84
    sarahpalmer84 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    First off, the implants will show up by way of a few pounds possibly on the scale. My weight increased by three pounds. I had my augmentation, then I did the elliptical a week later. Just try not to bounce a lot. Stationary bike works also. I have had my implants in for eight years. I had them redone last year. I am weary to do push ups or anything else that requires the use of my pecks. Just watch your intake during these twelve weeks. You will be absolutely fine, dear!
  • kcb1027
    kcb1027 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say that surgical wound healing requires calories, so don't cut too much to compensate for reduced exercise. An augmentation isn't a large incision/major surgery, but that wound still needs to heal. You can lose some protein in the fluid that makes up the swelling you'll experience post-op and in the fluids that ooze from wounds while they close, so make sure you are eating.

Like someone said upthread, a surgical complication will have a much bigger impact on your health long term than breaking your routine for a few weeks. Rest and heal, and don't push yourself too much. Good luck with your surgery!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    i lost the majority of my weight on just the elliptical. BUT that wasn't good for toning. now i'm lifting too. YAY lifting! what a huge help.
  • OnMyWay4
    OnMyWay4 Posts: 264
    Options
    First off, the implants will show up by way of a few pounds possibly on the scale. My weight increased by three pounds. I had my augmentation, then I did the elliptical a week later. Just try not to bounce a lot. Stationary bike works also. I have had my implants in for eight years. I had them redone last year. I am weary to do push ups or anything else that requires the use of my pecks. Just watch your intake during these twelve weeks. You will be absolutely fine, dear!

You are hard headed like me, huh?! LOL! I was on a treadmill a week after my last CSection but since I'm paying a fortune for some fun bags, I wanted to take it slower. I don't weigh so I'm not worried about the added weight :flowerforyou:
  • OnMyWay4
    OnMyWay4 Posts: 264
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies!!
  • dawniee
    dawniee Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I definatley wouldn't worry about it...walking is a super healthy excersise that will keep you in the same shape you were before surgery....believe i know...i've had a few major surgeries 3 x's in a one year period where i was banned from and excersise for a certain amount of time AND you had to start out slow when you start back up....this is major surgergy for you and you body needs every ounce of energy to heal properly...your most important thing should be making sure everything heals properly.....if it doesn't you will have to do another surgery or you will have permament issues.....walking will be a great excersise for you until your fully recovered!! Exciting times...your in great shape and youll stay that way as long as you eat well....!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!