question on mickey D's menu

So I am all proud of myself. Went to Mickey D's for breakfast, got an oatmeal (which was banging, by the way) and a large hot chocolate for a treat. You have to understand I used to eat a breakfast sandiwich and a large frappe, so this is a huge shift for me. I forgot to ask them to use 2% milk. If you don't specify at a Mickey D's, what milk do they use for their drinks? Also, anyone want to share some healthier fast food options? I don't eat it that often, but I would like the calories to count for something.

Replies

• kaosvarkas
    kaosvarkas Posts: 46 Member
    Only thing that comes to mind for me would be maybe an egg sandwich from subway where you can add all kind of good veggies to the sandwich.
  • brittany103
    brittany103 Posts: 96 Member
    I don't know, but McDs has their nutrition facts online, so you can look there.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Also, anyone want to share some healthier fast food options? I don't eat it that often, but I would like the calories to count for something.

Subway when they have my $5 footlong sub on sale (buffalo chicken), if you get the correct bread and no cheese/ranch its a pretty reasonable meal.. minus the sodium.
  • MelAb8709
    MelAb8709 Posts: 140 Member
    McDonald's uses whole milk if you don't specify - they also don't offer 2% (at least not nationally, I suppose your local franchisee might offer it) but they do offer nonfat milk.

BTW - the fruit/maple oatmeal is 290 calories. It does contain fruit, and fiber, but it's only 10 calories less than the Egg McMuffin which offers 18 grams of protein (oatmeal has very little protein). McDonald's is currently testing an Egg White McMuffin, which comes on a whole grain muffin and has white cheddar instead of American. They're also testing in some markets substituting egg whites on any of their breakfast sandwiches. So hopefully those will become national options at some point.

Check out their website - you can look up the nutrition info for all their products and customize them to calculate the exact nutrition information for the product how you ordered it.

McD's is not the devil that so many make it out to be. Yes, many choices on their menu that are not healthy, but there are also options that can easily fit into anyone's nutrition plan.
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Unfortunately, I've found that there's not enough options at fast food places to make the calories count. I would always end up hungry an hour later. Periodically I eat at Subway, but all the others are checked off my list. Fast food is no more in my life but it didn't happen over night.

Good for you on making the good choice for breakfast!!
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    I would think they would just use the 2% unless you specify less. It seems to be the standard in restaurants.
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Large hot cocoa (whole Milk) with the fixings (whipped cream, chocolate drizzle etc.) is 460 calories.
    Non-Fat milk will drop it to 250 calories.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Wendy's salads are usually low if you eat the half salads. Their Chili is also low.
    Sonic's grilled cheese, corn dogs, and french toast sticks are all somewhat low.
    Taco Bell's potato tacos, beans and cheese, and cinnamon twists are all low.
    Mcdonald's apple slices are low, but you get 4-6 slices in a bag so not even close to a full apple.
    Burger king's grilled chicken sandwiches are low.
    Dairy queen's salads are low, small soft serve in a dish is low.
    Del Taco sucks and has nothing low... I get depressed when I think about their awesome french fries.
    Popeye's Louisiana Leaux menu is low.
    At most fast food places if you eat a burger, single patty with no sauce, no cheese, no bun, it will be low.

All of these will be very high in sodium except for the apple slices. Just make sure to look up their calorie count on their websites or at the restaurant (Many have them out in the dinning room or near the front where you order) I'm not saying you can't eat fast food, I'm saying it can be hard to eat much else for any of the other meals that day if you indulge in the large fry and angry whopper...
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    McDonald's uses whole milk if you don't specify - they also don't offer 2% (at least not nationally, I suppose your local franchisee might offer it) but they do offer nonfat milk.

BTW - the fruit/maple oatmeal is 290 calories. It does contain fruit, and fiber, but it's only 10 calories less than the Egg McMuffin which offers 18 grams of protein (oatmeal has very little protein). McDonald's is currently testing an Egg White McMuffin, which comes on a whole grain muffin and has white cheddar instead of American. They're also testing in some markets substituting egg whites on any of their breakfast sandwiches. So hopefully those will become national options at some point.

Check out their website - you can look up the nutrition info for all their products and customize them to calculate the exact nutrition information for the product how you ordered it.

McD's is not the devil that so many make it out to be. Yes, many choices on their menu that are not healthy, but there are also options that can easily fit into anyone's nutrition plan.

You know what's funny? I was thinking about that after the oatmeal, that the egg mcmuffin is a better choice because of the protein content. I have a cold though and I wanted something hot and yummy. The sugar and salt in food kill me sometimes. It's why I stopped eating canned soup and try to make my own. I usually make oat bran and add honey, but I needed something different today.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    I would have gone for the egg sandwich than oatmeal - I have tried the oatmeal and I agree it is good - but the amount of carbs and sugars in the oatmeal is way huge for me - the sandwich is lower in carbs and sugar and higher in protien.