Scared to get my hair cut

GTOgirl1969
GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
edited September 20 in Chit-Chat
I've been growing my hair long for about the last ten years and I'm fed up with it and want a change. I don't want to hack it all off (Short, short hair is NOT a good look for me) but I am ready for something different. Any suggestions?

Replies

• smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Some stylists, especially at pricier salons, will suggest looks they think will suit your face and hair type best and afterall, they are the expert, right? Maybe ask the stylist for a little help with ideas
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Just get a little bit cut off. More than a trim, but not enough that you'll really regret it. That way if you want more cut off you can go back and do it later. I'd be the same way with my hair. It's long and even though I want a change, I just can't cut it off short! When I decide for sure I want to change it, I'll probably go 2 or 3 times and get it a little shorter each time til I find a cut I like without the shock of it being so much shorter all at once. lol

Hope that helps!
  • NotSurprised
    NotSurprised Posts: 8,083 Member
    Only thing I can say is a Perm lets do it.:smile:
  • ebh1024
    ebh1024 Posts: 186
    I am doing the totally opposite...letting my grow out.:happy: I have had short hair for about 10 years now and I'm fed up, so LOL!!! :laugh: I know what you are going through. When I decided to get mine cut, I litterally just said "cut it" it is only hair and it would grow back, and they cut alot that time. My husband likes it short and I've tried to let it grow, but get frustrated :grumble: and then get it cut. I do like it short, but I also want a change. I like to wear ball caps and don't think they look good with short hair. The cut that I have now should be easier to grow out, says my hair dresser, we shall see! I don't know what you look like of course,:huh: but maybe take some bobby pins and pull it up to a length you are comfortable with and just see what it looks like. Is is all one lenth or layers? Also, if you are married, what does you husband think? I know it's for you, but it is always nice to see what he may think (if you are married).

Well, good luck...I do think "its just hair". Now, one time when I was pregnant and got my hair cut short, I hid in the bathroom and cried, thought I looked like a boy. But I think that was the hormones too! :happy:
  • Jeck
    Jeck Posts: 8
    Long layers are a great way to go. You'll still have enough for those pony tail days, and It won't be difficult to grow back if you don't like it. If you are really wanting a change, then why not get a little cut off and then do highlights or lowlights? I chop my hair off every so often...It doesn't bother me to chop it- It grows back!
  • meganwojo
    meganwojo Posts: 221 Member
    I am a cosmetologist...How short would you go with your hair? If you kept it around shoulder length or a little bit longer..i would suggest long layers to give it some dimension and a face angle starting about chin down. It all depends though on the thickness of your hair too. If its really thin, i would go for shoulder length and shorter layers to make it fuller with an angle.:flowerforyou:
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    you could always look for a photo of a celebrity who has similar features to you. if you see something you like, you could always steal ideas from them.
  • GTOgirl1969
    I really don't want to go any shorter than just below my shoulders. Any shorter than that I start to look like a dude!:laugh:
  • meganwojo
    meganwojo Posts: 221 Member
    I really don't want to go any shorter than just below my shoulders. Any shorter than that I start to look like a dude!:laugh:

I would do long layers and start your angle about chin length. I would suggest having your shortest layer maybe 2" above the longest length(below shoulders)..that way you will still be able to put it up :)
  • weidner
    weidner Posts: 127
    You want to cut your hair? Well, I am not sure how low it is, but since you have not really cut it for 10 years, it should be somewhat long; my suggestion to you is GO FOR IT. You are young and as they say, it will always grow back!!!:) My suggestion is short, the reason, two fold; 1. you will have a new look and it will probably make your face look thinner; 2) donate the hair to a place that will utilize your hair for a wig for women who have cancer.
    I work in a Cancer Institute; and women would love to be able to have a wig with real hair. It is so important to them. So you can do something wonderful for youself, as well as someone else!!!

Think about it.
  • GTOgirl1969
    You want to cut your hair? Well, I am not sure how low it is, but since you have not really cut it for 10 years, it should be somewhat long; my suggestion to you is GO FOR IT. You are young and as they say, it will always grow back!!!:) My suggestion is short, the reason, two fold; 1. you will have a new look and it will probably make your face look thinner; 2) donate the hair to a place that will utilize your hair for a wig for women who have cancer.
    I work in a Cancer Institute; and women would love to be able to have a wig with real hair. It is so important to them. So you can do something wonderful for youself, as well as someone else!!!

Think about it.

I've already decided to donate whatever I get cut off to Locks of Love :heart:
  • GTOgirl1969

I would do long layers and start your angle about chin length. I would suggest having your shortest layer maybe 2" above the longest length(below shoulders)..that way you will still be able to put it up :)

That's what I'm leaning toward- I had layers at one point and liked the way they looked so I may go for it again.
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member

First thing I want to say is SWEEEEEETTT cherry goat!!!! :love: :love: :love: :love:

2nd, I had long hair and just recently cut it all off ... and I havent' had short hair since I was a kid and you'd not believe some of the embarrassing remarks sent my way because I looked so much like a boy. Now, I still hate it - but I've gotten TONS of compliments. I was going to try to paste it here but I'm not sure how to make that work, so instead, I'll put one or two with me with long hair on my profile. Sorry I can't make it easier - but you're welcome to check out my pics and see what you think. Seriously - I NEVER thought I'd cut all my hair off. I had people trying to convince me to just 6 months ago.... told them they were crazy. Hah.
  • indiankel
    indiankel Posts: 163 Member
    I had long hair and one day had it all cut off....and its short! I love it, its much easier to deal with and I have people tell me all the time that I look 10 years younger! Short hair doesn't have to look boyish...mine doesn't.
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Good for you, especially the Locks of Love part!!!! I grow my hair down almost to my waist, and cut it off every 18 months above my shoulders...... that's how long it takes me to grow it that long, or I'd do it more frequently :bigsmile:

Take pictures, don't be afraid to sit and look at the hair style books for as long as you need to until the inspiration hits for the style you want to try, and most of all, have fun with it. You are doing an AMAZING thing! It feels sooooo good to do.

Show us some before and after pics when you get it cut!!!! You'll feel lighter, bit of a literal air-head feeling, and you won't even believe how LITTLE shampoo conditioner you're going to use..... I'm excited for you!!!!!

:drinker: :smile: :bigsmile: :flowerforyou: :drinker:
This discussion has been closed.