Body recomposition.

Options
Hello folks. I really need some good advice on dropping body fat and gaining muscle. I know how to lose weight, I know how to gain weight and I know how to maintain, but for this I have no idea!

I though I would so some research myself and came across this calculator

http://www.weightrainer.net/losscalc.html

It tells me that for maximum fat loss only I can eat as little as 1200 cals a day. I have been eating that for the last 4 weeks as a booster to lose the weight I have gained this year. I started at 189 lbs a few years ago and was at 128lbs in spring but recently went up to 150lbs and am now back down to 139lbs and wanting to up my cals as I dont want to lose any of my hard earned muscle from lifting earlier in the year and over the last 2 months! (currently lifting 3x a week, strong lifts)

Should I continue to eat at 1200 plus exercise cals or eat at maintenance to reduce body fat and keep and gain muscle? Or at a slight deficit? I only have around 6lbs to lose as if I go under that I start to look ill. I was just like to be 9st 7lb with more muscle than fat really!

Also, will it help with the love handles at all? If it werent for then I think I'd be quite happy! Although I do have some fat to cut on my arms and tum, hoping to keep a chunkier bottom half from squats ;-)

Any help would be really appreiciated as I would like to make the changes to my intake today :-)

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    It is unlikely if not impossible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time unless you are obese and/or new to weight training. And then it is only a pound or 2 of muscle at most. To lose fat you need to be in a calorie deficit. To gain muscle you need to be in a calorie suprlus. You can however, improve the muscle tissue you have in a deficit.

There are protocols where you eat a maintenance or just slightly under to attempt this and can be done with some success but it is a long and tedious process where very little progress is made on either goal. Other than weight, you give no other data like height and age but I'm guessing 1200 calories is too agressive and will result in muscle tissue loss. Take a look at the calculator on this site and it may help you to get to a good target.
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    It is unlikely if not impossible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time unless you are obese and/or new to weight training. And then it is only a pound or 2 of muscle at most. To lose fat you need to be in a calorie deficit. To gain muscle you need to be in a calorie suprlus. You can however, improve the muscle tissue you have in a deficit.

There are protocols where you eat a maintenance or just slightly under to attempt this and can be done with some success but it is a long and tedious process where very little progress is made on either goal. Other than weight, you give no other data like height and age but I'm guessing 1200 calories is too agressive and will result in muscle tissue loss. Take a look at the calculator on this site and it may help you to get to a good target.

^^this.

Do you know your BF%?
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Fotunately there is a place that has all of the answers that you seek...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/articles
  • CyanideCyster
    Options
    Thank you for the link and info.

My body fat done today done by taking wrist, forearm and waist measurement came out at 25.69%

I will check the link out now.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the link and info.

My body fat done today done by taking wrist, forearm and waist measurement came out at 25.69%

I will check the link out now.

At that BF% (assuming it is correct which is unlikely tbh) you should eat at a reasonable calorie deficit (200 - 500 a day) and strength train. Continue to reassess periodically.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

This sounds oddly familiar, lol.

Ideally, 1200 calories is not going to be effective for cutting fat. With it, you will end up cutting muscle as you won't supply enough calories for you to sustain lean body mass. Especially, as you get closer to a normal range, the smaller the calorie deficit you can sustain as your fat stores will not be able to supply your body with enough fuel to maintain your metabolic rate and exercise. Additionally, larger deficit create stress on your body which will increase the chances of preserving your fat and cutting lean body mass as an alternate fuel source. You have to remember, your muscles has greater calorie requirements than fat does. And since fat is the most abundant fuel source, your body doesn't like to cut it.

I suggest using the link below to estimate calories as the Katch McArdle formula will incorporate lean body mass into the equation.
    http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm
  • Ampierce
    Ampierce Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Bump.