Has Anyone Adjusted Their Goals Since Beginning?

Options
Has anyone else had the experience, as they lose, of reevaluating their target loss? I have always said "oh, i'd be happy with 10 or 15 lbs". But as I lose, I realize I could drop double that! Perhaps you have had the opposite situation, and actually are happy losing less than previously thought.
Since charts at the docs office are VERY general (even at a size 8 at 5'7" it said i was "overweight), how do you gauge your own goals?

Replies

• RDawn7
    RDawn7 Posts: 38
    Options
    I have not adjusted my goals. My doctor says I have to lose 25 pounds, so I'm sticking to that goal. Then, I plan to work on maintaining. Maybe I'll feel different when i reach my goal. But, for now, I am more concerned about my health. Good question though.
  • katiefridley
    katiefridley Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Well, I always said 180 because that's what I weighed in high school and I felt great then, but 170 might not be too bad, either. Well see.
  • spramn
    spramn Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Best way to gauge results in my opinion is the mirror or comparing photos.

Yes i do alter my calorie goals every few months. As you loose weight i think you have to or you will plateau.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I adjusted my goal from being locked on a certain number to instead focus on getting below a certain body fat % (whatever weight that comes with).
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I am 22 lbs away from my goal and am thinking I may adjust it down another 5lbs. But in the beginning that number wasn't as "real" as it is becoming now. I hope that makes sense! LOL
  • emaren
    emaren Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    When I started my journey I was over 250lbs and pretty unfit.

I set the following goals
    Goal #0 - Commit to getting back in shape.
    Goal #1 - Cycle up 'That hill' - Achieved December 2nd 2012
    Goal #2 - under 220lbs - Achieved November 30th 2012
    Goal #3 - 34/34 pants - Achieved December 5th 2012.
    Goal #4 - under 200lbs,
    Goal #5 - 32inch waist,
    Goal #6 - cycle 50+ miles in comfort (I am close to this as of December 2012)
    Goal #7 - climb that hill that eludes me on my mountain bike (Portola)...
    Goal #8 - Burn over 1000cals / hour at the gym every visit. (this is mostly true now)

The goals still stand, but I am less bothered about my weight, because I realize it is way more about shape and tone for me - at 6-2 I can easily carry 220 as long as I am 'in shape'. I'd still like to drop back under 200 but not at the expense of tone.

I am very happy where I am....
  • brittany103
    brittany103 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've adjusted them several times, my first goal was 15 pounds then went every five pounds after that, my new goal will make it a total of 30 pounds, hopefully I'll be happy after I reach that goal.
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Yup! My original goal was to lose 33 lbs, aiming to be 170 lbs, but as I got closer to that I realized that I wanted more so I upped it 10 lbs and am now shooting for 160 lbs. I WILL reach that and might even go a bit lower, but now my goals (as someone else stated) are becoming more about BF% and how I look in the mirror than the number on the scale. I know what I want to look like (tight and fit, not skinny) and that is what I will shoot for in the long run.
  • anothermop
    anothermop Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've changed my goal many times. At 1st I just wanted to lose 15 - 20 lbs. But then I realized it still showed me in the "Overweight" category. I couldn't have my "goal" be that I was still overweight, so I changed my goal to be a couple lbs into the "Healthy" category. Once I met that goal, I changed again to maintain the weight. (I haven't mastered this yet, as I'm still losing weight.)

My point is that I've changed my goal at least 3 times.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I gave myself a bunch of goals.

First it was my pre-pregnancy weight. Then I hit that and chose the middle range for what's considered healthy on the BMI scale. Hit that. Then I chose a 'stretch goal' which I am working toward and judging by the look of my body currently, I can probably aim lower.

So I wouldn't say I've 'changed' my goal, as such, just set myself achievable ones and moved the ticker accordingly. =)
  • athenaheim
    athenaheim Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I have adjusted it,. When I get to my goal weight I will assess it more and see if I should do more.
  • cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Yes, my goals have changed. Focusing more on bf% now than on gw. How do I gauge? I use the mirror and when it lies I use pics.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    My original goal weight has definitely come under scrutiny. I initially wanted to lose 33 lbs, and weight 125. But now at 145, it just does not look to me like I need to lose 20 more lbs. I mean I'm not ready to stop just yet. But 135 may be more realistic.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think adjusting as you learn more is necessary.

For me, weight means less than body fat %. Your weight doesn't differentiate between fat and muscle and bone. Due to your bone structure and/or muscle you could be trying to hit a weight that isn't right for you.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Yep, that would be me. I started this journey on January 11, 2011 weighing 277 lbs. I wanted to get fit and reach 150 lb. One year later after joining MFP I could say I was fit and lost 110 pounds BUT for the last year I haven't been able to ditch the last 17 pounds. No matter what I do, it's not coming off. I'm trying to readjust my goal mentally to think this is where my body is telling me it wants to be.
  • cloe31
    cloe31 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I thought I wanted to be 170lbs but after calculating my body fat %. I think I would be happy with 180lbs
  • JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I started at 202 with a goal of 150. I hit that, and decided to shoot for 145. I hit that, and decided to shoot for 140. Now, though, it's really less about numbers and more about how I look and feel. I've become a runner, so my goals have a lot more to do with time and distance - weight is usually just a side effect! I'm within a few pounds of my new goal and several below my original goal, so now I'm learning how to maintain. I still have little freakouts when I realize I'm not tracking calories half the time, but I try to be sensible!
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I did. My original goal was 136, which was still on the low end of my BMI range. I hit maintenance, and lost 10 lbs past that.

My body seems pretty happy in the 125 to 128 range, so I'm sticking to it.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Yes, I'm 5'8" and at my heaviest I was 142lbs. Originally I wanted to get to 120-125 but then I kept losing. Currently 114, now I want to build more muscle and get up to 125-130. Gaining muscle is a much slower process than losing fat, so it'll probably take quite a while.
  • kathyk519
    kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have goals and bumps in the road. I adjust mainly the timeline of when I think that I will achieve my goals. I adjust how I am going to make those goals - changing up the exercise routine, changing how I count my calories, etc. I also do smaller goals in terms of weight or how many miles I want to run, or how fast to be able to run those miles. I do think that originally I wanted to weigh 135, but now thinking closer to 125. I am 5 ft and weigh 157 now and started at 188. I got to 147 at the beginning of June, but got pregnant and gained (and lost the baby a few weeks ago), and now I am trying to get back to where I was.