When will it show?

Options
I've lost 17 pounds over the last 3 months and I've been measuring my waist and lost several inches as well.

For the first 10 pounds I didn't see myself getting any smaller but my mother did, then on the last 7 pounds I told her I lost she just looked at me and said "wow" but in a dull, unamused manner as if she didn't believe me.

On top of that, I can't see it myself and neither can my friends or my sister (she told me from the start she couldn't see it, even when my mother was saying that she could).
When will it be noticeable?

Replies

• n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Pictures pictures pictures. I can't stress it enough. Take them once a week and compare. You will see a difference. It's hard for other people to see it when they look at you all the time.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    People started commenting for me around the 20 pound mark. Some people notice but don't say anything because they don't want to offend.
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I think mine was around the 20 lbs mark too, but I personally didn't see a big difference until around 30 lbs. I took comparison pics monthly and saw the difference in pics, but not when looking in the mirror. It will come, but even if people don't comment, this is your journey for you and no one else. Granted we all like to be told we're doing so well, but when that doesn't happen, it's us that keeps us going.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    After my first 20lbs, my mother asked me if I was pregnant....

After about 50lbs, some people asked if I had lost weight-others didn't believe I had lost anything.

After about 60lbs, a few more asked if I had lost weight-still many believed I hadn't lost anything.

After 70lbs, people started to ask if I was sick because I had lost so much "so fast" (took 3 months to go from 60-70lbs down). Many of these people were the same people who didn't believe I'd lost anything at 60lbs down.

Personally, I still don't "see" it. But at 70lbs down, it became fairly universally noticeable. Not sure what was so magic about that number though...
  • amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Once I hit 20lbs lost is when I really started to notice a difference, when my pants were starting to get loose and when I got random compliments, and it's just getting more and more noticable. Now I'm at 28lbs lost and I'm really starting to feel more comfortable, all pictures of me aren't terrible, I don't have to change outfits 90384390 times because nothing fits right....i'm getting there! 22lbs to go!
  • imcool19
    Options
    I think it also depends on your height..
    If you're short, then your weight loss is more apparent I guess?
    I've lost only 5-6 pounds and people have noticed (I'm only 5'2")
  • duckfloats
    Options
    No one outside of my family started commenting until I hit 30# loss. Now I hear it from everyone who hasn't seen me in a while.

You're doing this for yourself. Don't worry if others can see or notice right now. It will come.
  • metalesq
    Options
    When I lost the first 20lbs people started noticing (I'm 5'8"). Measurements are a great idea to keep you grounded in reality.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    It depends on how observent your friends and family are too. Keep at it and give it time.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    Alot of my friends still don't notice especially since she they see me all the time but picture tell all..I found one from Aug and took one the other day.. the change was there..no doubt about it...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I lost 5 lbs and people noticed, but that was 5 lbs of pure fat, and not muscle and fat. You have very little to lose, so you should probably spend more time doing recomposition (eating 20% less than TDEE and heavy weight training) than worrying about weight. Cutting body fat is where you will find the greatest gains and people will recognize the difference. And as I always say, weight loss makes you look good in clothes but fat loss makes you look good naked.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about this a lot, actually. It's % of weight I think. I think they notice at 10%.
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I've heard.. and it strikes pretty close to my results...

"Takes 4 weeks for you to notice your body changing,
    8 Weeks for your family,
    12 weeks for everyone else.
    Give it 12 weeks."
  • tbisca1
    tbisca1 Posts: 142
    Options
    It doesn't look like you have much to lose. You might not notice until you are close to, or even at, your goal. I had to lose 35lbs before people started to notice! How you feel is the most important! If you are feeling healthier then you are on the right track!