Help - Need Suggestions for exercise

Options
Hello...I am just starting my weight loss journey and have a question about how to start my exercise routine. I am 34.....have a sit down job in front of a computer all day so my body is not use to any form of working out. I am morbidly obese at 300 plus pounds, however I realize I need to incorporate exercise into this weight loss equation. I would appreciate any suggestions on what form of exercise would be best for me at my size and fitness level.

Replies

• NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Whatever exercise you can do and stick to. Any exercise is fine.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    walking is awesome. if its too cold where you live to walk outside, try the mall.. i know the malls here open early so that people can walk the perimeter without worrying about shoppers. or theres the Walk Away The Pounds DVD series - i did those for a while
  • CincinnatiDEIFan
    CincinnatiDEIFan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You can join the YMCA if there is one close. They have scholarships if you need one, apply for it! That way you can try the treadmill, the bike, the elliptical, etc etc even swim most likely until you find what works for you and what you like.

Thats what I done. :-)
  • phlower
    phlower Posts: 103
    Options
    Hello...I am just starting my weight loss journey and have a question about how to start my exercise routine. I am 34.....have a sit down job in front of a computer all day so my body is not use to any form of working out. I am morbidly obese at 300 plus pounds, however I realize I need to incorporate exercise into this weight loss equation. I would appreciate any suggestions on what form of exercise would be best for me at my size and fitness level.

i suggest you start with walking! Outdoors is good, or I also recommend a series of DVDs called Walk Away the Pounds. I had a lot of success with those a few years back. They're low impact, but very effective. I hope this helps!
  • Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Just start moving, doing anything you like and mix it up so you don't get bored. Start taking the stairs everywhere you go, walk every morning or evening or both, walk during lunch break. Do push-ups off a countertop, dance around the house, I purposely make extra trips to the laundry room....could I take all the clean laundry at once to put away? Sure, but I don't, I take my hanging clothes, then go back and get my husbands, then go back and get the folded clothes. I would suggest lifting weights as well. I hear a lot of people say 'I want to lose weight first and then I'll lift and tone'. Why wait? Muscle burns fat, the sooner you build muscle the faster you'll reach your goals! You can do this! Good luck your journey! :flowerforyou:
  • babsc01
    babsc01 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a bodyweight training circuit 4 times per week, and it's helped tremendously. Would also suggest you make at least 30 minutes per day to simply walk...outside around your work campus is perfect.
  • boswellheather
    boswellheather Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I agree that walking is great that's how i started. Also dancing! I added a pilates workout that is on netflix streaming and do that a couple times a week, or if i don't want to leave the house. And the elliptical that thing kicks my butt, but oh the calories it burns! lol. Oh u can also get a set of little hand weights and look up good exercises to do with those.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    During your work day, stand up at your desk and march in place, step side to side and do a few hamstring curls. Do this for 5 minutes every hour. In an 8 hour day you will have done at least 30 minutes of exercise.
  • ettennette
    Options
    you could do simple workouts found on youtube or over the internet. but also put in mind that your food intake also is a factor on your body. eat something that is good for maintaining or losing weight. and also, when you exercise, do it properly. Source: http://www.top-5-diets.info/
  • camajade
    camajade Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Just start moving, doing anything you like and mix it up so you don't get bored. Start taking the stairs everywhere you go, walk every morning or evening or both, walk during lunch break. Do push-ups off a countertop, dance around the house, I purposely make extra trips to the laundry room....could I take all the clean laundry at once to put away? Sure, but I don't, I take my hanging clothes, then go back and get my husbands, then go back and get the folded clothes. I would suggest lifting weights as well. I hear a lot of people say 'I want to lose weight first and then I'll lift and tone'. Why wait? Muscle burns fat, the sooner you build muscle the faster you'll reach your goals! You can do this! Good luck your journey! :flowerforyou:

I totally agree with this post. You might get bored with doing the same exercise. Change it up, dance, walk, do simple cardio and a little bit of weights. If you are anything like me, you will get bored after a week or so, but if you move and count calories the weight will come off and you'll want to keep going. If you get bored, simply change it up. You will be so happy to see the pounds go down, I promise. You might have bad days, even weeks, but look at the success stories on MFP and you will see it is possible, you just can't give up on good or bad days.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    when I first first started I did a lot of walking & used the stationary bikes a lot at my gym..... within a few months I got into strength training and kcikboxing..... Now I do kickboxing, strength training, running, stair climber, ellipticals of all sorts, circuit training/hiit, pitaiyo (blend of pilates, tai chi, yoga).... Oh and I was 303.4 when I started on 1/1/11 -- currently 186.6. Don't let your weight inhibit your exercise.