2»

Replies

• bkwhit1964
    Options
    save for later read
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Always need to blame something else instead of looking at one's own eating habits.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    No.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    "No magic obesity pill, yet: While existing insulin-blocking drugs could prevent weight gain, they carry serious side effects that outweigh their benefit. Further research might lead to drugs that block excess insulin production or blunt its effect on certain targeted tissues."

So, based on the comments, most of you think WHAT one eats plays no role in health and/or obesity, and that one should simply know when to stop eating (even though there are real biological explanations for why many people aren't feeling full when they should), think that those of us who have solved our health issues by getting rid of grain (or whatever), should just go back to eating grain, fight and struggle with hunger again and blame ourselves for our lack of "willpower" and just wait for the "magic obesity pill". Because the pill would be much more logical and rooted in "science" and "healthy" and "safe" (because the FDA says so) than eliminating a food(s) that stimulates (some of) us to over eat and/or get sick. Whatever.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    "No magic obesity pill, yet: While existing insulin-blocking drugs could prevent weight gain, they carry serious side effects that outweigh their benefit. Further research might lead to drugs that block excess insulin production or blunt its effect on certain targeted tissues."

So, based on the comments, most of you think WHAT one eats plays no role in health and/or obesity, and that one should simply know when to stop eating (even though there are real biological explanations for why many people aren't feeling full when they should), think that those of us who have solved our health issues by getting rid of grain (or whatever), should just go back to eating grain, fight and struggle with hunger again and blame ourselves for our lack of "willpower" and just wait for the "magic obesity pill". Because the pill would be much more logical and rooted in "science" and "healthy" and "safe" (because the FDA says so) than eliminating a food(s) that stimulates (some of) us to over eat and/or get sick. Whatever.

How in the world did you jump to that conclusion based on the respnses in this thread? Wow.
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options

actually yes, people should start taking ownership for their over consumption. Stop blaming everyone/thing else but yourself. Learn to put the fork down and success will come not matter what youve eaten.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    I've experimented with several different eating schedules - from absolutely set-in-stone mealtimes to eat every 2-3 hours, to eat three meals with snacks, and probably some others I've forgotten. I finally just decided to go back to what I did when I was naturally thin, and that is what has made all the difference.

What I do now (and I've come to learn it is Intermittent Fasting) is: I eat a 400-600 calorie early meal - like two hours after waking. Then I don't eat again until eight hours later. At that (late afternoon) meal, I'll have the majority of my calories for the day - say, 1000ish. Then I go to bed five hours later. That last meal begins a 16 hour fast until the small morning meal.

It is how I always ate when I was thin. It works for me, and these two studies seem to concur with this. So this makes sense to me. No snacking and two meals within an eight hour window.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I got obese because I ate a family sized bag of Doritos every day and other similar behaviours.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    hormone problems are usually a result of abusing food for a number of years and ****ing your body up.

I.E type 2 diabetes. Type 1 is legitimate.

Thanks for calling my disease (prediabetes) illegitimate. Although there is definitely a correlation between Type II and obesity, it isn't the only way you can get the disease.
    guess thats what happens when you remove natural selection from the equation right?

Um, no. I had done my fair share of procreating before being diagnosed. If it doesn't kill you (or make you sterile) before you have offspring, natural selection has no chance to select against it.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options

If you have a problem with wheat/grain, don't eat it. But guess what? I don't have a problem with wheat. I eat it and lose weight. For me, calories out>calories in=weight loss.
  • cfregon
    cfregon Posts: 147
    Options
    Bump so I can save this for later reading.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Last I checked, insulin was a good thing. What you have to do is manage it with what you eat, when you eat, how much you eat, etc.

Especially if you're an athlete. Insulin is your best friend in that scenario.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    bump
  • againagain
    againagain Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    "Johnson concluded that extra insulin produced in the normal mice by the high-fat diet caused their obesity, which strongly suggests that mice – and, by extension, humans – may make more insulin than they need. "

Uh, or they eat more calories than they need....

Thing is, the human body's insulin production hasn't suddenly evolved in the last 50 years to make us less fit. What has changed is diet and lifestyle.

I know I am preaching to the choir here, sorry.

All that said, I read the abstract and what this study shows is actually quite interesting, but I don't think that you can "blame" insulin when the cause of the insulin is apparent in the study design.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    “Worrying about insulin or meal timing is fine-tuning that is irrelevant when the car is headed in the wrong direction,” she said. “If you want to reduce your body weight, you’ve got to stop eating so much. Eat less, move more.”

^ This is a great quote.

Oh, gawd! Where's Matt_Wild when we need him? :laugh:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

You are free to go ahead and try to figure all that stuff about all the ways to fine tune and manipulate the variables. Good luck with that.

I just going to be over here controlling my intake, working out like a beast and living my 60s and forward in good health by just doing a couple of simple things:
    Eat no more than I burn
    Eat balanced macro nutrients
    Eat mostly nutrient dense food
    Get regular exercise including strength training, some aerobic training and some stretching.

Works like a charm!