Rest Time after DOMS?

Options
DOMS seem to be my friends for life. Unless I lift little pink dumbbells, I'm ALWAYS achy for a few days. If I can - should I force myself to lift again in 24 hours even if I'm still sore? Or is it best to wait 48 hours until the muscle soreness subsides? There are even times when my body is still feeling it the third day. Guess I'll always be a light weight - - -

Replies

• Monie_LG
    Options
    If you're really achy, you should definitely wait 24-48 hours before doing a strength demanding exercise. However, doing light cardio in between can help ease the pain (from my experience). You also have to be careful and to listen to your body.

If you're always sore, it could be two thing: you either always push yourself hard, which is great because it means that your muscles are at work = results, and/or that you don't stretch before exercising. If the latter isn't something you usually do, I suggest you start as soon as possible. It makes a huge difference!
  • scorpiotwinkles
    scorpiotwinkles Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    It's normal hun. DOMS usually kicks in for me 2 days after the exertion, I just get right back into the gym and use those muscles again! It will reduce over time, but I actually like it! It shows me I have been doing a good job. I have been lifting for 10 months and I (and my trainer) can still make me get it. It's not a bad thing, you are challenging your muscles and they are complaining. Drink protein and eat rice cakes or banana immediately after training every time. You are not a lightweight, it's normal if you do a good job.
  • Whimzeee
    Whimzeee Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments so far. Any more thoughts?
  • TwentyTreize
    Options
    I only get DOMs if I take several weeks out of the gym now, I'm pretty sure they will get less and less aggressive with time.
    I wouldn't rush into more training if i were you though, it will only lead to injury
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Your problem is most likely consistency. Sure, you'll get DOMS at first but if you continue lift a few times every week then they will stop. If you stop for a week or more then the DOMS will come back when you start again. 48 hours rest between working the same muscle group is good.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    DOMS seem to be my friends for life. Unless I lift little pink dumbbells, I'm ALWAYS achy for a few days. If I can - should I force myself to lift again in 24 hours even if I'm still sore? Or is it best to wait 48 hours until the muscle soreness subsides? There are even times when my body is still feeling it the third day. Guess I'll always be a light weight - - -

Make sure you stretch after your workout. I learned this the hard way. About 4-6 weeks ago I started doing BB squats. About the second week my quads started SCREAMING. After the 3rd day I asked the trainer if it would always be like that, and he asked me about my warm up and my (non existent) stretching routine. When he found out that I was not stretching he told me to stretch before I left that day. Sure enough, I stretched for a few days and the pain was gone...now I stretch after every workout and haven't been sore at all in weeks!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Once you build some muscle it stops. I usually only lift every other day but I kind of like the ache because it lets me know exactly what muscle needs more work. If you wait for the ache to go away you miss out on workouts and once you get moving again it usually loosens up and stops hurting.