needed: help & advice - how to not gain over Christmas

Options
Hi Guys,

I'm quite new to this site but have noticed how helpful everyone is on it and how supportive you are off each other. So I was wondering if you could help me.

I have been dieting for a few weeks and have lost 9lbs so far, only thing is with Christmas coming up I'm scared of putting it all back on and having to start all over again! anyone have any tips or advice?

also add me if you can, need all the help and support I can.

x

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Portion control, if you don't over eat you don't gain. It's an everyday thing, not just holidays.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Keep tracking your food and don't eat over your calorie limit. I find that scared feeling comforting in a way, it keeps me on my toes and helps me concentrate on my goals.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    A couple of thoughts...

1) log, log, log... and hold yourself accountable. At the end of the day, self control/discipline is the biggest key to success. There are little things you can do to help yourself (only bake 1 batch of cookies to share rather than 1 to share and 1 for yourself, shop more responsibly/proactively, etc).

2) realize the bigger picture. I've seen this saying on MFP a few times lately an I really like it: It's not about what you eat from Thanksgiving to New Year's, it's about what you eat from New Year's to Thanksgiving. The point? You're talking about a really small timeframe... any "damage" you do, while frustrating and perhaps demoralizing, is be MORE than compensated for by the good you do the rest of the year.
  • DeirdreMum8
    Options
    I agree, I log everyday, even on holidays. Also, I "save up" calories for a holiday meal. The third thing is I think ahead and map out what treats I actually want (skip the stuffing, have a bit of fudge:) things like that so I have a game plan.

I am also trying to find some new recipes to bring to events that i can enjoy, angel food cake ideas, pumpkin applesauce bars. I am bringing a fresh chopped Greek salad to an event this weekend so I know I have something to eat.

:love:
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    - Portion control, portion control, portion control
    - consciously think ahead about your triggers and weaknesses and how you can sidestep those specific risks
    - Pick your events, don't go to an event with food just because you were invited, go because you want to
    - Don't go out to eat when you are hungry
    - Double or triple your veggies, no starchy carbs or no dessert or no fatty sauces whichever one you can live without
    - Consider eating out but no alcohol, or going out for drinks but eating healthy at home first
    - Don't buy holiday food you don't need, have desserts on Christmas day and when you have guests only.
  • redsteve65
    redsteve65 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Its been said already but portion control is key. You will be surprised at how little food it takes to weigh a lot. Eat more of low calorie foods.

And know your weaknesses and devise a stratgy to deal with it. My weakness is chocolate and therefore I ate 1 chunk of a bar rather than the whole bar.

Or failing that go to the gym a lot to burn off the calories

Good luck - you can do it.
  • 89curves89
    89curves89 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    thanks for you help and tips everyone!! I'm going to make a plan as suggested and try to stick to that as much as I can. I'm also going to get a smaller plate and drinking glasses to keep my portions under control, we all know it's way to tempting to fill the wine glass right to the top. I'm not too bad during the week and what have you, I can control it but I just know Christmas will be much harder!

thanks again and happy dieting :-)
  • There are a number of things you can do by watching you can eat, but I found that the best thing to do is to go work out. Simply put, use this time to work even harder at some aspect of fitness that you want to improve, since naturally, youre going to be eating more. This might even help you break through a plateau. Good luck.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    All of the above and personally I'm not indulging in christmas this year, yes I'll have the christmas dinner but wont be eating the chocolates, puddings, snacks. Sticking to what has got me this far.

Some say christmas is only once a year you then have 365days to make up for it, are they right or wrong it's down to your very own interpretation.
  • Jstash88
    Jstash88 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    There are a number of things you can do by watching you can eat, but I found that the best thing to do is to go work out. Simply put, use this time to work even harder at some aspect of fitness that you want to improve, since naturally, youre going to be eating more. This might even help you break through a plateau. Good luck.

^^^^^ this is great advice. Too I find that the harder I work out the less tempted I am to "undo" all my hard work.