How to deal with work holiday parties????

Options
2»

Replies

• lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    portion control
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    portion control
  • ljholmann
    Options
    I was very worried about this as well. We usually go to a place that serves pub food and the party is mandatory as it takes place during the work day. Fortunately (or unfortunately) this year, I got called for jury duty and it falls on the same day as the party. :laugh:

Have you ever served on Jury Duty before? Depending upon the type of trial, they may feed you and very well. Most will take into account dietic needs, (just a heads up). :wink:
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    I just skip them..
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I just skip them..

this is what i would love to do because to be honest, i dont enjoy it at all. i dont mind my work colleagues but quite frankly, the less time i spend with them outside office hours, the better in my opinion. i work in a very small company (7 of us in the london office) and usually the partners are invited though they dont always show up. i think this year it will 12 or 13 of us at the dinner. it would be easier to avoid it if you work with a larger group and other people were ducking out as well. i go every year not because i enjoy it but because i dont want to be labelled as the antisocial one.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i have to admit i get annoyed at the constant food that seems to be around at every workplace during the holidays.

i've tried not eating at them at all, and then i feel deprived or something, even though i shouldn't.

lately, i've just been having one small thing and then stopping. yesterday was a cookie, today was a piece of fudge. hopefully that will be the end of the holiday foodfest at work, as most people are going on vacation next week.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Extra exercise and eat a lot of fruit and veggie appies and eat the really good ones in moderation. Skip the ones that I could take or leave.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I just skip them..

Ditto. We are having a huge potluck at work today, which might as well mean "STUFF YOUR FACE UNTIL YOU VOMIT". I am not participating and brought grilled chicken and steamed veggies for lunch. And fortunately all of the food is set up way at the other end of the building so I don't even have to walk past it.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    I fully believe in enjoying this time of year and all the festivities that come with it.

That being said, I keep an eye on portion control and generally only enjoy snacks and treats that I either don't know how to make myself or don't have the time to make myself. Example...Thanksgiving...I enjoy tiny amounts of plain stuffing, potatoes and such..but I have the pork stuffing only my mother in law makes, the torte my aunt makes....things I can't have any day I please.

At Christmas...I enjoy a slice of my mom's homemade blueberry pie or her lasagna.

I don't believe any food is evil...it's whether I abuse it or not that is the problem! lol
  • DawnB86
    DawnB86 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Have you ever served on Jury Duty before? Depending upon the type of trial, they may feed you and very well. Most will take into account dietic needs, (just a heads up). :wink:
    [/quote]

I've been called 3 times in the last 5 years but never served. They never want me cuz I work for a newspaper company LOL. I'll keep that in mind though in case they decide to take me this time :smile:
  • hpynh2o
    hpynh2o Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i have to admit i get annoyed at the constant food that seems to be around at every workplace during the holidays.

Me too!
    There is food readily available where I work year round. On busy days the company buys either hoagies or pizza, soda and chips for all. So we keep working and don't slip out for a salad. <sigh> When they pull out the tempting stuff I generally run out for a Greek Yogurt (160 cals) and then go right back to work.
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    wow, hard to say... I guess I just try to take a small spoon of what I think i might want and the things that i skip are usually the high carb or creamy looking items because they tend to have the most calories. since these happen so much, maybe get somethign with protein, some veggies or fruit and then not much of the carby stuff and not dessert. that's pretty much the only way to deal with it.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i generally have a couple small treats and call it a day. i have to have at least one piece of peanut butter fudge every year, and because i'm not making a sheet of it myself, the office is where that happens.

it's a challenge to eat just a little some years, but then i picture the person making it and imagine their kids running around licking the pan and sneezing everywhere while the treats were being cooked. that makes it a little easier.

as for the big Christmas parties where you have to basically sign off for 2,500 calories just by walking in the door, i usually skip those. i save that one for dinner with my family.