Which Size Slow Cooker

Options
My and my sister and her boyfriend recently moved in together. I heard her mention that she wanted a slow cooker so I am going to get her one for Christmas.

I don't have any experience cooking in these but I have been looking up recipes and I am excited to try some.

I am confused on which size to get though. We don't usually cook for a lot of people. Sis and her bf usually eat for themselves and I make meals and save leftovers. I noticed they have 1 1/2 qt, 2 qt, 3 qt, 4 qt, 5 qt, 6 qt, and 7 qt in oval or circle shapes.

Any on input on which would be a good size for us?

Replies

• MariarR33
    Options
    I cook soup for my husband and I all week long. We have an 8quart adn it'shuge. I think a 5quart is a good size. You can always have leftovers which make excellent, quick, healthy lunches.
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    My sister bought my husband and I a 2 quart as a gift years ago figuring it was just the 2 of us. It was okay for soup or stew for 2 but not big enough to do much of anything else. I couldn't even fit a small pot roast with vegetable. I would go for 5 quart. I have several now and that is the size I use most often.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Agreed, a 5qt is a good size. Better to be too big than too small. I have and use all sizes, though. I love my slow cookers :)
  • fusion777
    Options
    I have a 3 quart round that I use for just 2-3 chicken breasts (no room for veggies) or I put some soup in there to heat all day/keep warm.

I also have a 6 quart oval that is great for big batches of beef stew, pulled pork, turkey breast, ribs, chicken breast with veggies, tons of different dishes. (Incidently, my 6 quart one is a Christmas gift from my sister so your post made me smile with the memory!)

I think you'd be well-served for 3 with the 5 or 6 quart oval.

Another good idea is a box of crockpot liners, they make clean-up a snap esp. with recipes with bbq sauce. They are about $4 for 3 and worth every single penny to not have to scrub the burnt on goodness!
  • Weezoh
    Weezoh Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Even for two people you'll want 4-6 quart capacity. I don't think much is gained going smaller than that; then it becomes a lot less versatile.
  • seashell99z
    seashell99z Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I agree...5 quart is really the way to go. I wish ours had a way to carry to potlucks and such. A crock pot is a fantastic gift.
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Mine is a 4 qt. It is just the right size to do most crockpot recipies. I only have problems when I'm trying to do potroast with lots of extra veggies for my family of 4. In addition to size, there are two features I would highly recommend if you can get them.

First off, and most importantly, is to buy a crockpot w/ a removable liner. This feature is so nice!! When I don't have time to prepare dinner the morning of, I can do it the night before, and leave the liner in the fridge to just pop into the base in the morning. Sooooo easy!

Secondly, if you can find a liner that is made from "corningware" buy it! The corningware liner is stove top safe, so if you need to brown a small amount of meat before adding the rest of the ingredients, you can save washing an additional pan.
  • eve7166
    eve7166 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I use mines either to cook for just me and the husband or for our friends in the weekend (usually about 4-5 ppl and some are big boys lol) THis is the one I have

http://www.hsn.com/kitchen-dining/wolfgang-puck-6qt-1350-watt-stainless-steel-versacooker_p-6074365_xp.aspx

I highly recomend it because since its a Versa cooker it can also cook like an "oven" and I roast chickens or whatever in it in about an hour. I also use it like a stove top on "sear" mode or 300* and everything is fantastic.

Anyways I suggest the 6qt as it fits everything in it nicely if you have a few people over AND I like oval because it fits in things like a chicken or a half ham nicely for parties! :)
  • woodsy0912
    Options
    Thanks guys! I am seeing lots of oval 5 and 6 qt ones for sale and I think I'll do my research and go for one of these.

I don't mind leftovers and if I can freeze it, then excellent! Meals for the week.