Can somebody tell me...

Options
Why I am still at my start weight, but I look thinner?
I weighed myself on Tuesday and I'm still 140, but I do notice that my pooch has shrank. Why is this happening and what can I do to make the numbers go down? Or do the numbers matter? Will my weight just follow suit as my pooch shrinks more and more?

Note that I weighed myself in the afternoon(so that may be the reason) and I also had a couple of bad days before I weighed myself and ate more than I should. I got back on track yesterday and I haven't weighed myself again yet(I gotta admit I'm alittle scared of the scale now because it just ruins my whole day when I don't see any progress).

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    How long of a time period are you talking about? If you are exercising, you have probably shed some fat, but retaining water.
  • kdf017
    kdf017 Posts: 33
    Options
    well, this is about the 2nd week I've changed my diet. How do I avoid retaining water?
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    well, this is about the 2nd week I've changed my diet. How do I avoid retaining water?

Do you really care what the number says, if you look better?! Are u planning to carry the scale around with you to show off the number?

Keep doing what you're doing if its working is my advice.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    You need to weigh yourself at the same time every time. First thing in the morning seems to be easiest. Eating, drinking, clothing, etc can add weight.

To avoid water retention, drink water. It seems contradictory, but proper intake will discourage your body from hanging onto the extra.
  • kdf017
    Options
    Im researching it right now.. I've lowered my sodium a lot. I'm probably not drinking enough water.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    2 weeks isn't long enough to draw any conclusions about anything
  • hookdriver
    Options
    For what it's worth, I tried weighing myself more then once a week and it was depressing because the numbers were all over the place. I weigh on saturday mornings first thing, it keeps the weight fluctuations down to a minimum. It also makes it easier to enjoy the weekend after I have spent all week watching what I eat. it also gives me a week to work off any endulgance I may have done over the weekend. :)
  • mtbke5
    mtbke5 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My pooch always comes from what I eat, not the number on the scale. I know that if I have too much processed foods, sugars and carbs I will look bloated and have a huge gut. If I cut back on these things I will have a flat stomach, but the scale will stay the same.
  • kdf017
    Options
    If i drank more water, how long would it take(on average) for the water retention to go away?
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    This always happens to me. I tend to lose inches first, then the poundls finally melt away afterwards. It could be water retention; drink more water to flush your system. Or if you also started exercising, it could be you're building muscle, while the fat is melting away. Eventually the pounds will come off but I wouldn't be too concerned with it as long as you're seeing a difference!

What helped me is I logged all my measurements; not just my weight.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    if you look slimmer then what difference does it matter what your weight is unless you're a boxer or a wrestler or some other type athlete who NEEDS to fit within a weight division?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear and will be masked by water weight fluctuations.
  • kdf017
    Options
    Thank you for the advice everyone. I think I know what's going on now..
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    How long of a time period are you talking about? If you are exercising, you have probably shed some fat, but retaining water.

Not sure what retaining water has to do with anything.

If you are exercising but your weight isn't changing then you're just gaining some muscle and losing some fat. This is good news! Don't worry about the numbers! Just look in the mirror!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    If you LOOK like you weigh less just lie to people and tell them you weigh what you think you look like you weigh.
  • HollyAnn_
    HollyAnn_ Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    ummm. So you've lost iches?

I would say "generally" that means your losing fat.

Personally I don't care what the scale says. I hardly ever weigh my self. I've gotten down to a healthy weight and BMI range so now the rest is just for looks.

I know it migt be hard at first but don't let the numbers get you down. I think it's safe to assume that 140 is a pretty "healthy" weight (unles you are like 8 years old maybe) and I'm guessing that you don't have much to lose so it will be fairly slow (you probably wont be dropping 5 pounds, or 2 even, in a week) so the scale wll get discouraging even more so.

So I say screw the scale!!! work out and eat healhy for you. Also think about weighin in once a month or every two weeks or whatever, that way you'll tend to see bigger nmbers.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options

Not sure what retaining water has to do with anything.

If you are exercising but your weight isn't changing then you're just gaining some muscle and losing some fat. This is good news! Don't worry about the numbers! Just look in the mirror!

Not likely. It would take weeks of serious training and eating at a surplus to gain even a bit of muscle. You're right about ignoring the numbers though. Scales don't tell the whole story.