Anyone with Lupus, RA or chronic pain?

Options
I have Lupus and I am finding it difficult to exercise as much as I'd like, due to the chronic fatigue and pain. Please feel free to add me if you suffer from similar illnesses. I'd love to give and receive support from others in similar situations!

Replies

• thi3
    thi3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi Christina,

I have UCTD and fibromyalgia. I had fallen off the wagon with exercise and gained 20 pounds with meds. So, I joined the Y again this week and have been at yoga. I go at my own pace, take a warm bath after. It helps with joints so much. I know it is so hard when feeling exhausted but I feel refreshed when I'm done.

Here's to better days (most of the time) for both of us.
  • drakechic08
    drakechic08 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have undiagnosed chronic pain that has been going on for over a year and a half. We believe it is endometriosis but cannto diagnosis as I currently have no insurance. I have been on a rollercoaster with diet and excersize, but I ahve really been trying to push through and work out. Feel free to add me
  • mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    I have lupus but hesitate to add anyone that does not push through as much as possible to stay in good health physically and mentally. Right now I am flared up and on steroids and have gained 5 pounds in a short amount of time (which I have already peeled off 3 of it). I know how hard it can be but mind over matter. Yesterday I had a cortisone shot in my right knee (both are swollen and damaged) but three hours later I took a half hour walk. Feel free to add me but know I fight hard and expect that of my friends as well. Good luck on your journey.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    "it's not lupus! " ~House M.D.
  • bauer1971
    bauer1971 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi

I have had lupus for over 10 years now. When i first got sick and then diagnosed there was no way I could have exercised. Getting out of bed was hard enough. That was at my worst. Once the doctors got it under control, it went into remission. Thankfully! It had been in remission for the last 6-7 years with the only issue being sensitivity to light. 2 years ago, I decided to get healthy. Quit smoking, eating healthy, and (most important for me and others with lupus) is I make sure I get 7-8 hours of sleep every night. Shortly after I quit smoking, I started to work out 10 minutes a day, running on the treadmill. Hard at first! It got easier though.

Fast forward to 2012....Insanity! I did the insanity workout and I feel it triggered my lupus to come out remission and now I am smack dab in the middle of a flare up. I read somewhere that aerobic exercise is best for those with lupus but to not over exert for long periods of time. Well, insanity does NOT fall into that category! I almost completed it though.:drinker: What I noticed is that even though lupus active again, it isnt anywhere close to as bad as it was and I think its because I am taking much better care of my myself and my health than I ever have. Now, I am doing Jillian Michaels Body Revolution. Most days I have no problems with it, others I just dont have the energy. I learned to not push it. On the days I dont feel well, I dont do it.

Anyway, sorry for being long winded.

Feel free to friend me if you want however I travel alot for work and am not always available.

I wish you way more good days than not! :smile:
  • cbk93
    cbk93 Posts: 35
    Options
    I was diagnosed with RA seven years ago . Thankfully, I do pretty good these days. Discovering foods that cause flair ups was a huge help! Learning I can push past the pain was a Major breakthrough! I've taken up running and I've never felt better!! I have flair ups occasionally, but they're mainly due to the weather.
  • raquelrivasmanso
    raquelrivasmanso Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have RA and I find it hard at times to exercise or diet.
  • mikeatmichael
    mikeatmichael Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with psoriatic RA 20 years ago. It was only painful in my hands, but I was always exhausted. I had been a runner and the first time I tried running when it was active, before the diagnosis, I only made it about 50 yards and had to lie down on the bench in the locker room for a half hour before I had enough energy to change.

I started walking and swimming, just doing what I could and gradually adding distance. Later I added weights and running. I had to stop taking methotrexate when it started affecting my liver about three years later, but when I stopped taking it the symptoms never came back. Its been in remission ever since. If I don't exercise my metabolism seems to slow way down and I'm always tired, nearly to the point of exhaustion, that gets me started again. Aerobic exercise like swimming, running or biking work best. Swimming is great, I still swim a mile three days a week. I've recently started paying more attention to my weight and making sure I exercise every day and I feel terrific.

Just do what you can to keep moving. Don't give up.

I don't have any friends on here yet. If you like you can add me.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I was born with loose ligaments in my hips, knee problems and hammer toe so ya I have chronic pain most times I can keep it at bay with exercise but lately due to health issues with my dog I have not been sleeping well, and have been under a lot of stress dealing with her health issues so working out got put on the back burner a little bit and the pain in my legs has come back but as of today I am back on track.