Bad Knee and FRUSTRATED!!

Options
Okay so I have bad knees, mostly from a lot of high impact at a very young age. Anyway I LOVE the style of work out where you are dripping sweat, and start feeling a little nauseas. I stopped going to the gym when I fell in love with Jillian Michaels and her DVD's. Well, they are still too high impact for me. I am really trying to look long term and all this high impact can't be good for my body later! Those of you that have bad knees what exercise do you do? I thought of yoga but think just regular gym yoga will bore me, and it's $120 month for a studio, and that's crazy. I have always worked out and I am getting super frustrated at my restrictions right now!

Replies

• Steffinana
    Steffinana Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey :)
    I feel with you! I've already had 3 knee surgeries and those also kept me quite limited in the sports department.
    What works quite well is swimming, aqua gym or aqua jogging, since the water eases the pressure on the knees.
    What also works is cycling, at a moderate pace, preferably with friends so you can have a chat while you're on the ride.
    As for strength training: anything aimed at the upper body is fine, when it comes to legs you have to be careful and should probably check with a doc and/or personal trainer.
    It also depends on what exactly is the cause of your "bad knees": in some cases it is quite advisable to build up muscles in your legs in order to offer your joints better support.
    I hope that helped in any way :)
    Good luck!
  • RaineMarie
    RaineMarie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I agree that it really depends on what is causing your bad knees to begin with. I have patella femoral syndrome in both knees (had a patella realignment in my left knee) along with three other knee surgeries between the two. But all of the doctors and physical therapists have told me that I can minimize the pain and lead a normal active life by keeping my quad muscles strong. I've run two 1/2 marathons even with my bad knees with little to no pain (though I am less motivated to run these days). I really like kickboxing dvds, and other cardio workout dvds, and I've found that if my knees hurt I should a) modify the exercises - as long as you keep moving, you'll keep your heart rate up; and b) i need to do more strengthening of my leg muscles. :)
  • moicanu22
    Options
    Try DDP Yoga, i have a lot of weight i can do almost everything!
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I have ACL injuries in both knees. I find riding the stationary bike works wonders. Also, there are tons of workouts on Youtube that you can do sitting in a chair! I like those, too.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Sweatin' to the Oldies :bigsmile:
  • jacque930
    jacque930 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Bump - would like to refer to this and see future comments on exercises with bad knees
  • justnname
    Options
    I totally understand. I was intruded to Kangoo Jump Shoes a few months ago. They are like shock absorbers for your body. You can run and do a cardio workout while wearing them

here is a link

http://www.kangoo-jumps.com/

They are a lot of fun too.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in both knees and had knee surgery in September and I still do Jillian Michaels DVDs, I just modify the higher impact exercises, such as doing a walking jack instead of jumping jacks, burpees, I do one leg at a time. Exercises with no modifier I just do something different, like a jog in place just to keep moving. I also don't try to keep up with her, I take my time doing the exercises. The only thing that still difficult for me is switching from standing to floor exercises.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Okay so I have bad knees, mostly from a lot of high impact at a very young age. Anyway I LOVE the style of work out where you are dripping sweat, and start feeling a little nauseas. I stopped going to the gym when I fell in love with Jillian Michaels and her DVD's. Well, they are still too high impact for me. I am really trying to look long term and all this high impact can't be good for my body later! Those of you that have bad knees what exercise do you do? I thought of yoga but think just regular gym yoga will bore me, and it's $120 month for a studio, and that's crazy. I have always worked out and I am getting super frustrated at my restrictions right now!

I've had surgeries on both knees, but I do mostly lifting and minimal cardio. When it is cardio it's the bike or something like that.

Have you had your knees looked at by a doc?
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Have you tried any spin classes at the gym? I love to go all out in workouts and spin classes can really get your heart rate up. I also have terrible knees (osteoarthritis & 2 knee surgeries). Cycling outdoor or in spin class is generally pretty good for the knees because it builds up the muscle surrounding the knee. I love the Jillian Michaels DVDs too and modify a lot of what she does. Her workouts are tough on the knees.:flowerforyou:
  • Mist1981
    Mist1981 Posts: 145
    Options
    I agree that it really depends on what is causing your bad knees to begin with. I have patella femoral syndrome in both knees (had a patella realignment in my left knee) along with three other knee surgeries between the two. But all of the doctors and physical therapists have told me that I can minimize the pain and lead a normal active life by keeping my quad muscles strong. I've run two 1/2 marathons even with my bad knees with little to no pain (though I am less motivated to run these days). I really like kickboxing dvds, and other cardio workout dvds, and I've found that if my knees hurt I should a) modify the exercises - as long as you keep moving, you'll keep your heart rate up; and b) i need to do more strengthening of my leg muscles. :)

Sounds like we may have the same problem. I was told I need the realignment in both knees or possibly face knee replacement when I am older. My left knee I have had several meniscus problems, and have had it scoped. It is just killing me now and honestly I am tired of getting MRI's. I know it's a catch 22 because I really do need to build the muscles around it so there isn't as much pressure, but doing that just makes it so sore. Makes me nervous! My mom has had 2 knee replacements and has RA. That being said she smokes and doesn't take care of herself.

So honest. How bad was the surgery? Recovery time?
  • ashley7979
    Options
    I have bad knees too. I'm having my second knee surgery this month. I do water aerobics classes.
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I was where you are two months ago, but I built up my strength slowly,
    and really listened to my knees.

Now I'm able to do a lot more, and higher intensity.

Just work at it slowly. Don't push them. Be patient.

Yoga might not be the best choice, as many of the positions are so hard on the knees.

I'd go with more frequent low impact workouts.

And walking!
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    i can throw DOWN on my elliptical and it doesnt hurt me at all! talk about sweating!! (had the hubster mount mine to the floor because i was rockin that thing too hard! LOL) Also, someone mentioned sweating to the oldies.. corny as heck.. but seriously.. its low impact.. and little dude is hilarious! You WILL sweat, and its easy on the knees! Its how I lost my first 13 pounds before i came to MFP! LOL!
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I twisted my knee recently. I can't run, walk, dance, or jump right now and I thought I was going to go insane. I found that if I ride the bike for 20 min or so, then do push-ups, pull-ups, rows and other body weight exercise, my heart rate stays up and I get a killer, sweat-dripping workout! My HRM tells me that it's just as good a burn as running, and feels like it too. The strength stuff only seems to give my that kind of workout after getting my bike warm-up.
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    I've had bad knees for (ouch! I'm old!) over 25 years now. My main form of exercise now....running. I am up to 8.5 miles, usually doing about 5 miles several times a week. I still avoid running when my knees are acting up or will use the treadmill to walk/run when the weather has my knees saying not outside today! The key is in strengthening the legs. I do Jillian michaels DVDs as well