Hypothyroidism

Options
Hello everyone!

I was thinking about Thyroid Disease, especially Hypothyroidism, and how it affects my weightloss.

I've had the condition since I was 6, I'm 22 now and I take medication daily for it. I've lost 12 pounds the last 3 weeks with exercise and healthy eating.

Does anyone else have any tips on improving weightloss / fitness with thyroid problems?:noway:

Replies

• bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Just grind. Expect disappointments and plateaus. We don't lose weight or build muscle the same way as others. Just be 10x more dedicated than you want to be. :)
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Join the "Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism" group. There's no tips for thyroid issues outside of people without thyroid issues other than carb sensitivity (my endo recommends staying under 180g, so not incredibly low carb), and things just take longer. I'm not sure what your height/starting weight was, but 12 pounds in 3 weeks is pretty amazing progress. Just don't get discouraged if it levels off a bit... most people do once they are closer to a healthy weight, and that's really when thyroid issues can slow things down.

I swear by weight lifting--it's been proven to regulate hormones, and I've felt amazing since I started doing it, and have NO trouble strengthening muscle mass even with still unregulated TSH.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I swear by weight lifting--it's been proven to regulate hormones, and I've felt amazing since I started doing it, and have NO trouble strengthening muscle mass even with still unregulated TSH.

^^ I 100% agree with this - has made an amazing improvement in my moods and helps me feel better - and although the scale isnt moving my measurements and clothes sizes are!

and I agree with joining the group also
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I suspect both hyothyroidism and antidepressants were at least partially to blame for my weight gain and might make my losses come slower. But they come - I've lost 32 lbs. Sure, it took over a year including a long plateau and a three-month hiatus, but nice and easy does it I guess.
  • sds76
    sds76 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    keep your levels regulated as much as possible, I have mine checked every 6 months and find what works for you. It's easy to get confused on here with the conflicts between how many calories people need/whether or not to eat exerise calories, etc. Find what works for you and remember that our bodies do behave differently than someone with non-thyroid issues. have your dr or endo monitor your efforts if possible.

I really committed to it this time(for the first time in my life) and I feel better than I ever have. I have so much energy, I don't feel tired and sluggish, or swollen and fluffy. I still have a ways to go but I've only been at it since June. Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Join the "Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism" group. There's no tips for thyroid issues outside of people without thyroid issues other than carb sensitivity (my endo recommends staying under 180g, so not incredibly low carb), and things just take longer. I'm not sure what your height/starting weight was, but 12 pounds in 3 weeks is pretty amazing progress. Just don't get discouraged if it levels off a bit... most people do once they are closer to a healthy weight, and that's really when thyroid issues can slow things down.

^This. All of it. Well said.

I have hypo and found that once I was on the meds, it didn't hinder my weight loss at all...the donuts on the other hand... :laugh:
  • sometimes_blondie
    Options
    Definitely join the Hypothyroid group. Weightloss is harder for us, and it helps to talk to people going through the same thing. Congratulations on your weightloss! That is amazing! I'm newly diagnosed, so I'm still getting the medication adjusted and weightloss has been a monumental struggle for me, but is is possible. :flowerforyou:
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I know I can do it because I've lost over 100lbs before but I have to be really strict with my diet to lose and it comes off slow but it is possible! If your thyroid is regulated by medication then it is working pretty much the same as soneone with a normal functioning thyroid just ours takes medication to get it there. I still think it's harder to lose weight but it's not an excuse. I have never had a "perfect" MFP diary, been working out and not lost weight for an extented amount of time (we all have plateus)
    Keep at it!
  • samanthaxb
    samanthaxb Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 and at the height of my pregnancy I weighed 340. I'm now around 295. I've been doing cardio and strength training and it has really helped! Not only weight loss, but I just feel better in general.
  • Sheilagh85
    Sheilagh85 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Its not hard to lose when hypo. I've had the condition for a couple of years and had no issues getting the weight gained off. As long as your medication is regulated, you eat clean, and work out (cardio and weights), the weight should melt off!
  • christamccoy
    Options
    I have hypo too. It can make your progress a little slower than some other people but its not impossible. I used it for an excuse for many years. No more excuses now! Just keep eating healthy and being active. It'll work! :wink:
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    It is slow, but it does happen. I lost 44 pounds on ww last year, and 6 so far on mfp. It is a struggle though.
  • firstsip
    Options
    Unless you've gone untreated for a long time, there is no reason why it will affect weight loss at all. You've been treated since you were 6?! So you're essentially the same as a normal person. If not, you need to change your dosage to be the same as a normal person.

I think the OP meant she's HAD thyroid issues since she was 6. Treatment definitely changes depending on age, hormone levels, etc. It's very rare for someone to be on the same dosage their entire life. Puberty, early adulthood, pregnancy, and menopause are big changes to that dose...

So, that being said, as further answer to you OP (though I'm sure, at 16 years dealing with this, you probably are pretty well versed), thyroid levels do naturally change according to different life circumstances. I don't have a thyroid, and my levels still drastically changed from when I first was dealing with things (at 13).
  • samanthaxb
    samanthaxb Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Unless you've gone untreated for a long time, there is no reason why it will affect weight loss at all. You've been treated since you were 6?! So you're essentially the same as a normal person. If not, you need to change your dosage to be the same as a normal person.

I think the OP meant she's HAD thyroid issues since she was 6. Treatment definitely changes depending on age, hormone levels, etc. It's very rare for someone to be on the same dosage their entire life. Puberty, early adulthood, pregnancy, and menopause are big changes to that dose...

So, that being said, as further answer to you OP (though I'm sure, at 16 years dealing with this, you probably are pretty well versed), thyroid levels do naturally change according to different life circumstances. I don't have a thyroid, and my levels still drastically changed from when I first was dealing with things (at 13).

Yeah I've been on medication since diagnosis.

I wasn't asking because I was disappointed with my results, I just wanted to hear about other peoples challenges/successes and techniques. :) Thanks for the feedback everyone!
  • tyraskanks_
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and pcos... so it's like a double wammy of "holy fudge tyra, you must eat super clean. PUT DOWN THE BOX OF JALAPENO POPPERS!"
  • firstsip
    Options

Yeah I've been on medication since diagnosis.

I wasn't asking because I was disappointed with my results, I just wanted to hear about other peoples challenges/successes and techniques. :) Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I guess I just rankled at the assumption that being treated for a long time makes you super normal... I've been treated since I was 13, but I haven't always been treated correctly :laugh:
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have it - but, if you are on medicine I wouldn't think it would be any different then somebody that doesn't have it. you'd lose weight the same.
  • tyraskanks_
    Options
    I have it - but, if you are on medicine I wouldn't think it would be any different then somebody that doesn't have it. you'd lose weight the same.

My doctor actually said that if you're on medication, it's as if you don't have a thyroid problem at all.
  • sds76
    sds76 Posts: 215 Member
    Options

My doctor actually said that if you're on medication, it's as if you don't have a thyroid problem at all.

I personally think yes and no on this. As long as your levels are good then it's like you don't have it at all, but even medicated your levels can fluctuate. It took quite awhile to get my levels regular and now---5 months later I can tell they are off again. I will get blood work again next month(can't afford before Christmas) but I gurantee my dose will be raised again. You can be on medication and levels not be right yet. You can also have levels in the "normal range" but it may not be normal enough for your body, it may need to be lower or higher for you specifically. Once I started going to an endo instead of my family dr(whom I love) I realized this. Instead of just a generic "okay you are in normal range" the endo really worked with me to find "my" normal.
  • mcheather14
    mcheather14 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone ~

I have been hypo since 1997 after my 2nd daughter was born, though I suspect it started after my 1st daughters' birth 2 years prior. No matter now though, I am very overweight. I have about 70 pounds to lose. I also had a total hysterectomy 3 years ago due to endometriosis and have gained considerably since then. I used to run everyday about 4-5 miles on my treadmill but was then in 3 car accidents (hit head-on twice and then rear-ended) 2 by uninsured drivers. These left me with 3 very damaged discs, L4-S1 and all with damage to the bone around the discs. So I can no longer run. I have tried and it causes extreme pain within hours and lasts days. I have no access to a swim pool and my doc did not think swimming would be a good idea for me anyway. I feel the lower back is S-L-O-W-L-Y improving, though it will never be 100% unless I have surgery, and even then it won't really be 100%.

So, I have a little extra baggage along with the hypothyroid....I am well aware that this journey will take a lot of extra time and more effort than people who don't have thyroid issues. I need to get back to feeling good about myself though, so I am willing to put in effort.

Any suggestions you have for me will be greatly appreciated! Thanks all :)