Help with weight lifting!!!

Options
So I recently just joined a gym :) Yeah for me!!! But I have seen so many good things about heavy lifting that I was wondering if someone could give me some advice. I'd love to start but don't know where to begin! Thanks :)

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Google Starting Strength by Mark Rippletoe. All you need to know.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    The books "Starting Strength" or "New Rules of Lifting for Women."

Also, "Strong Lifts" which can be downloaded from the internet.
  • TrueBlueBruin78
    TrueBlueBruin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Back to basics. Lift the 3 big lifts at first: Bench, Squat, and Deadlifts. Then add supplemental lifts after you get the hang of those three.
  • franklyskarlett
    Options
    girlsgonestrong.com
    Their articles are excellent and the video demonstrations on youtube are excellent.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Also, "Strong Lifts" which can be downloaded from the internet.

This is what I've started and the progress is awesome.
  • theburnetts1
    theburnetts1 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice on the books and the 3 basic lifts. How do you know what weight to start with? I've also had some issues with my lower back so any words of advice so I don't screw things up AGAIN!!
  • fitbugfreak
    fitbugfreak Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    There is a group on mfp - 5 x 5 stronglifts you can join
  • DrMMaddo
    DrMMaddo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello! Just so you know, you are the third person in less than a week who has mentioned being a bit overwhelmed when starting a new fitness program of any kind! I am a fitness professional and a doctor who is sitting here trying to write my fifth fitness professional course manual and am in a holding pattern because of the plethora of information floating around in my brain. "What do people really want to know?" is the question I keep asking myself! Your question is helping me focus. So, thanks! Regardless, you can get a free month on my workout app just visit www.takeandteachfitness.com and once there follow the links to the app page. Once you have established a login and password, you can use the same to login to your mobile app. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Blessings!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice on the books and the 3 basic lifts. How do you know what weight to start with? I've also had some issues with my lower back so any words of advice so I don't screw things up AGAIN!!

Start with just the bar and work your way up. Get form down then look to oush weight up. Slower is better than too fast. A couple of weeks in and you'll have what weights you should be using down. Then progress from there.
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    bump
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    5x5 programs seems like a great one.

You can google it.

Also, for any exercise anyone mentions, you can google it or Youtube it and you will see examples of what it is. It's so easy now to get started. 10 or 20 years ago, you pretty much need either a PT or a book to figure out what to do. And, a lot of people did it wrong. Now, with Youtube, I don't know how PT's stay in business. I'm sure it's a motivator, but, I just want to know about form, I'm plenty motivated.