Ouchie hurtie foot...ie

Options
Ive been doing C25K *just started WK5* and ive just started getting some pain in my left foot, its mainly felt on the top of my big toe but also the top of my foot is very tender to the touch, I've tried ice which works for a bit but it doesnt seem to want to go away, its been bugging me for about a week now ive been stretching and warming up etc as well anyone experienced anything similar? ive still been able to run with it but it does feel worse afterward.

Replies

• amberc1982
    amberc1982 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Ouch sounds painful. I haven't had that problem. But I hope it starts to feel better soon.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I am by noooo means a doctor, but I can tell you that I sprained my ankle last October, and started running again too soon. (Not good!) To take some of the stress off my ankle when I ran I started to pronate badly (rotate my foot when I landed/pushed off) and the muscles on the top of my foot would get realllly sore after speedwork or hills.

Are you familiar with whether or not you pronate? Good shoes are soooo important for running, and if you are just starting out, learning how to run with proper form is really important.

What helped me fix it was to focus on pushing off with ALL my toes (not just the big one).

I'd recommend checking out the Runner's World website or even going into a running store, some facilities have treadmills that read your running patterns and tell you how your feet are positioned when you run.
  • FitbitConnor
    FitbitConnor Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies :0) I had actually wondered if it might be something to do with the way i run, at the moment i run in my nike air max but im looking to invest in some proper running shoes soon. I'll check out that website and see if i can find out if im running wonky lol
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    might be turf toe, look here and see if your symptoms match up. If it is, the only solution is rest and ice.

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/turf-toe-symptoms-causes-and-treatments
  • FitbitConnor
    Options
    I'm not running now until Monday if it's still as bad then it looks like I'll have to go see the doc, I hope it isn't turf toe although it sounds a definite possibility because I don't think I'll lose enough weight to hit my target in time without running :0(
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I'm not running now until Monday if it's still as bad then it looks like I'll have to go see the doc, I hope it isn't turf toe although it sounds a definite possibility because I don't think I'll lose enough weight to hit my target in time without running :0(

Bahh, don't think like that, exercise, however good for you it is, is only a small part of weight loss and a healthy lifestyle, Your eating should be your main focus.
  • aareeyesee
    aareeyesee Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    some copypasta,

The first thing to do is go to http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319-327-7727-0,00.html and learn about pronation. If you go to Youtube and search Pronation there are good video explanations as well. After you figure out what kind of pronator you are go to http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319-326-7152-0,00.html and figure out your arch type. Finally goto any of the major shoe websites like my favorite http://www.brooksrunning.com/Help/Shoe+Advisor/ and fill out the "test" on your foot type and they will suggest the shoes for your foot. Or you can go to your local running store and have someone do all that for you.
  • FitbitConnor
    Options
    I did the wet test and it looks like i could be a normal to slight over-pronator and that would go some way to explain the turf toe as well, i think i'll invest in some new footware and see what the guys in the store say as well :0) thanks for the advice!