A Newbee Looking for Inspiration!!!

Options
Hi

I'm looking to lose about 21 pounds, my friend recomended this site to me and i'm hoping it's going to do the trick. I'm quite good with nutrition but it's the inspiration i am lacking and i get a bit bored with the same old foods!! So anyone that feels they can help me along would be really welcome to add me as a friend and i'll do the same for you! It's a bit weird trying to introduce yourself on one of these things so i hope i've done an ok job :o) Be nice to hear from anyone x:flowerforyou:

Replies

• dukedeh
    dukedeh Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm new too! Depending on the board - I usually don't interact too much, but just like to observe. A friend introduced me to this site, too - and I LOVE it. I have found that tracking what you put in is a very helpful tool for loosing weight.

I don't know if I can help you with your diet: You said you are tired of the same old foods - what kinds of foods do you eat?

I'm not sure what your challenges are with loosing weight, but as I said, for myself, I find it very helpful to be very mindful of what you're taking in, and this site does it all for you. It is a little of work, entering it all in, but it does such a great job. And their database is pretty extensive too!

Best Wishes!!
  • lulu64uk
    lulu64uk Posts: 62
    Options
    I am fairly new too, and have only been here approx 3 weeks, but I am already 12lb down, what I love about this site is the way you can track both calories and exercise, I really believe for me the key is actually seeing on screen what I have consumed. I used to get through loads of tea and coffee throughout the day, but never took these calories into account. I was astounded at how many calories I was getting through. I have now upped my water intake and have started drinking black coffee. I then save these calories up and treat myself once a week ! I love this site and all the inspirational stories on here x
  • beckielou8
    beckielou8 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying, i think what your both saying is true...i'm going to find it really helpful to see what i'm consuming everyday in fat and calories. I think with the food thing i don't get much time during the week to prepare my meals so i always go for quick fixes, i try to keep them healthy but i end up living on beans on toast and omlettes so get bored! I'd be interested in any quick and easy recipes for lunches or dinners!
  • beckielou8
    Options
    Well Done on the 12lb!! That's astounding!!:happy:
  • dukedeh
    Options
    It sounds like we have a lot in common! I have found in recent times, I have done the same thing. At least you go for the omlettes: I've been cooking the egg whites, along with toast in the am - quick and easy. I had started to plan a weekly menu, which was very helpful. It takes a little time and thought, but very helpful to not have to think every day about what to eat. Crockpot cooking is also very helpful, if you don't mind leftovers.

I think if you browse over to the Food and Nutrition - I think I saw some topics about meals under 300-400 calories. Let me know if you find anything interesting and quick :-)

Also, some people allow others to view their diaries. I was looking at one person's ticker who had lost a lot of weight in just this month. And then I went and looked at her diary to see what she was doing that was making her so successful. You can possibly get some menu ideas this way.

Well, I better get off this computer and get to sleep - they say sufficent sleep is good for weight loss.

By the way - are you exercising as well?
  • dukedeh
    Options
    PS - another great thing about this site is, as you said, you can enter the beans and toast and see the nutritional breakdown of what you're putting in. Because it tracks everything, you can make adjustments to the portions if necessary.
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    Welcome to the best site on the internet!! :drinker: :drinker:

Just a few words of advice and encouragement:

1. Dont quit: when (not if) your scale gets stuck on a plateau, don't give up. Just keep going. The plateau WILL end, it just may require some creativity and shaking up your body. My recent plateau lasted for over 3 weeks.

2. Read, read, and read some more: If you ended up here to lose weight, there was information that you either didn't know, or didn't practice. Make a habit of learning something new each day, and putting something into practice. You don't have to become a nutrition overlord, but just keep improving what you are doing.

3. Exercise: I have been here long enough to see a difference. There is about a 2 day lag, but there is a definite correllation between exercise and weight loss. Likewise, if I slack off the exercise, about 2 days later, my weight loss stops.

4. Have Fun: Make friends on MFP and have fun. There are lots of threads on here that are not serious. Don't make eating healthy something that is trudgery.

If you follow these simple suggestions, you will find that everything goes well. Don't become a slave to the scale, but take other measurements as well. Don't focus on a number, but look at how well you feel, your clothes fit, how far you can walk, run, bike, swim, rollerskate, or canoe. The point is celebrate every success, no matter how big or how small!!!

Good luck and enjoy the life change!
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I have been here 92 days. My dairy is public. You can look at it if you want to get some ideas. I will support you! Friending you now. Support is wonderful and much need to get you through along the way!
  • beckielou8
    Options
    WOW, i'm loving this site already! Thanks for being so supportive and friendly, it's nice to know there's help if you need it.
  • beckielou8
    Options
    I do alot of walking and i'm trying to get back into my swimming to. I probably do about an hour or more of walking a day as i have 2 dogs. I have EA active on the Wii aswell which i find really good, definately builds up a sweat! I have a bit of a back problem though so the EA active is only when i'm not in pain! Do you get to do much exercise?