Recumbent Exercise Bike

Options
Looking at adding to our cardio equipment, so we're looking at replacing the old Tunturi exercise bike (killer seat issues) with a recumbent bike. I've never done the recumbent, use to do mountain biking and will get back there soon, but I need another cardio choice other than the treadmill as I have battled with Plantar Fasciitis for years; the constant treadmill keeps aggravating my feet, but I'm hanging in there. Does anyone else have/use the recumbents and what do you like/dislike about them? Remember, I need to stay off the pounding/standing on my feet as much as I can. Bottom line - I need more cardio choices!!

Replies

• crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I really like them, use it by preference to the standard exercise bike at the gym. The standard exercise bikes have seats that are just not made for me to pedal hard on for an hour or more (too big and bulky). The recumbent totally gets round that issue and I also don't have to worry about keeping my back straight and arms slightly bent on long training rides. Basically an exercise bike machine is nothing like my mountain bike and my posture has to be totally different anyway, so I may as well use the recumbent and just concentrate on the exercise intensity rather than pretending to be on a bike. Very low impact in my opinion too so should help you.
  • smdonovan
    Options
    I also have a recumbent bike and plantar fasciitis. I love my bike because I can just sit back and pedal while I watch tv. I can go for an hour with a distracting enough show. ;) Also, look into MBT shoes (or Reebok or Sketcher shape-ups). They are very expensive but take pressure off the heels, I am even doing a couch to 5k program with them. I never thought I would be doing a running program. Just a few minutes on a gazelle made me feel like my feet were going to explode! I've had cortisone shots and physical therapy and those help, but it will keep coming back if you are on your feet. I definitely recommend the recumbent bike for cardio and MBT's to actually be able to be on your feet longer. Hope this is helpful to you. Good luck on your journey.
  • smarston
    smarston Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have a Gold's Gym Recumbent bike(one of the lower end models). This one works great for what I use it for but I wish we would have bought a higher end model. The seat isn't that comfortable and there are only 8 preset workouts. Which is fine but I'm getting to where they aren't that challenging. My mother in law has a ProForm that is awesome. Super comfortable and heavier with way more options. It is twice as expensive but in my opinion worth the money. I wish I would have went that way when we bought this one. I'm sure we will be upgrading within the year.
  • bjandlm
    bjandlm Posts: 75
    Options
    I highly recommend adding a recumbent bike to your cardio equipment list. I have both
    a treadmill and a recumbent bike, and the combination suits me very well. I am sorry to
    hear that the treadmill doesn't work for you anymore. I have a pro-form recumbent bike,
    and the quality compared to the lower price is very nice, if you are careful, you do not have
    to pay big money for good quality.....happy pedaling....
  • efcdcdb
    efcdcdb Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Hi - I have a Diamondback recumbent bike that was kind of expensive but I am glad I spent the extra money. (I have an older, Pro-form treadmill that was mid-range but has been a piece of junk pretty much since I got it). The bike is great because even on days when I really don't feel like exercising, I can do 20 or 30 minutes at a lower intensity while reading or watching TV, and I feel like I have at least done something. And of course, I can always kick up the intensity when I want to or need to.
  • DamienRiceFan
    Options
    I love my recumbent bike ... I bought an inexpensive model a few years ago & it has held up very nicely. What I like: it takes up very little room, it can be used while watching tv or reading & the seats are very comfortable. What I don't like: (for me) it gets boring very quick & it sometimes causes me knee pain. With that said I hope I'm really glad I bought it, it gets used regularly unlike some exercise machines I've bought.
  • justjute
    justjute Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your information. The treadmill is working and I will continue using it, I just feel I need something else to get me off my feet once in a while.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I love the recumbent bikes. When I was smaller, I would do part of my cardio on the treadmill then get on the bike and go for another 45mins. The only thing I don't like, since I've gained all that I lost (and then some! :mad: ) back, when I'm on the recumbent, I feel squished in since my belly gets in the way of my thighs on the up stroke. So, definitely try it out before you buy it. Otherwise, I love it and I get a good leg workout from it.
  • DamienRiceFan
    Options
    I love the recumbent bikes. When I was smaller, I would do part of my cardio on the treadmill then get on the bike and go for another 45mins. The only thing I don't like, since I've gained all that I lost (and then some! :mad: ) back, when I'm on the recumbent, I feel squished in since my belly gets in the way of my thighs on the up stroke. So, definitely try it out before you buy it. Otherwise, I love it and I get a good leg workout from it.
    That is a VERY good point about the belly getting in the way. Some days are better for me that others.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I invested in a recumbent bike a few years ago for about $450. It was a great investment. I use it on the days I don't make it to the gym. I often read while I am on it. But I make sure to keep the intensity up enough to get a good sweat and heavy breathing going.