Losing weight but not inches?

Options
So I know it's possible to see loss in inches, that means you're gaining muscle. But today was my weigh in day and I lost a GOOD amount of weight but the inches I measured were the same as the last time i measured. Does this make sense and why does this happen? I work out almost everyday, and yes, I do strength training 3 days a week!

Replies

• FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to measure myself. When I had a fitness assessment at my gym I was pleasantly surprised when the trainer measured me as I had not noticed any big losses in inches but they were there alright. One good clue is how your clothes fit.
  • bjandlm
    bjandlm Posts: 75
    Options
    Don't get discouraged, it sounds like you are doing a great job already! Just keep
    working at it, and remember when you gain muscle, the weight may come off slower.
    It sounds like you are doing everything correctly. Good luck to you!:smile:
  • sniffles
    sniffles Posts: 295
    Options
    Inches come off more slowly then lbs. If the last time you measured was last week then your measurements aren't likely to have changed. Try measuring inches once a month instead of once a week. I know that's hard but unfortunately it's just one of those things.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Well... from my over abundance of years of 'dieting'... :grumble: I have discovered that many times you see loss on the scales with minimal and at times none on the measurements. So don't get discouraged. It is when that scale stands still or barely budges that you will see the measurements move. So chin up and head forward!! You are doing great!!! :bigsmile:
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Agreed! It sounds like you are doing everything right. You are toning up and reshaping your body. Give it time. I bet your clothes are fitting better! Congrats on your progress.

Want to join us for a Skinny Saturday Challenge?
    Go here to check it out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/88467-skinny-sat-challenge-anyone-6?page=1#posts-1221514
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    Inches come off more slowly then lbs. If the last time you measured was last week then your measurements aren't likely to have changed. Try measuring inches once a month instead of once a week. I know that's hard but unfortunately it's just one of those things.

I agree, but if you are doing this and still don't see change then you should be concerned because then you are burning muscle instead of fat and should probably eat more and focus on the quality of food and eating small meals throughout the day. Good luck!!
  • becky23
    becky23 Posts: 60
    Options

I agree, but if you are doing this and still don't see change then you should be concerned because then you are burning muscle instead of fat and should probably eat more and focus on the quality of food and eating small meals throughout the day. Good luck!!

Mellie,

That is exactly what I'm doing! I eat 1600 to1700 cals a day and eat only organic and 5 to 6 times a day, I can't even eat Gluten or Dairy! Which isn't as tough as you would think!
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I noticed that you don't fill out your diary. It's fantastic that you have lost weight this week, but remember to be honest with yourself and fill out the diary to stay accountable!

If in a few weeks you are still not seeing any changes you look back at your diary and re-evaluate.
  • becky23
    becky23 Posts: 60
    Options
    I noticed that you don't fill out your diary. It's fantastic that you have lost weight this week, but remember to be honest with yourself and fill out the diary to stay accountable!

If in a few weeks you are still not seeing any changes you look back at your diary and re-evaluate.

Yes, the last 2 weeks I haven't filled it out because my dietitian wants me to use a specific website to put in all my food so that she can see what I'm eating. It's a hastle to put it in 2 different times.