Cutting out diet soda

Options

Replies

• lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    There is this thing called moderation if it is still something one wanted to include.

Moderation is another way of saying half *kitten* it

Its another way of saying that you don't have to cut out foods/things that you enjoy. Seems like the OP is happy with her decision and WANTED to cut it out completely, so at this point, there is nothing else to add!
  • slavenberg
    slavenberg Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    try club soda with a lime --- I enjoy the bubbles but don't need the calories of regular soda and after having given up diet soda, this gives me the bubble fix I need. Mix it up instead of lime, try an orange. Good luck
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I cut out diet soda and lost weight. There is a lot of sodium in it when you drink it all day long.
    Celery has twice as much sodium as diet soda. I think you may be misinformed.
  • i_love_nature
    Options
    I just quit drinking pepsi one and this is going to be harder then me quiting smoking , but I am going to do it !
  • kcrxgirl
    kcrxgirl Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I was doing really well with only having 1 soda a week for a while and was losing weight pretty rapidly. But since then I've slipped up and am having 3-4 per week. My rate of weight loss has gone down quite a bit. This post will help me make that a priority again (starting tomorrow-I have 1/2 of a diet Sunkist in the refrigerator I'm going to finish first :wink: )!

From what I understand about the artificial sweeteners in diet soda, they still resemble a sugar molecule enough that it will trigger a release of insulin in the body. This release of insulin causes your body to store up energy (aka calories) which will cause weight gain. So even though you're not consuming any calories when you drink a diet soda, you are still contributing to weight gain (or at least not contributing to weight loss).
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    NEVER!

dc+bong.bmp
  • LollipopPsyco
    Options
    I'm trying to cut out soda too. It's tough. I'm having a hard time when going out to eat, and sometimes I just want something other than water. What are you replacing it with? Any suggestions?

Unsweetened ice tea.

vodka....its clear so it counts. it also helps you build muscle
  • laurainparis
    laurainparis Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Wonderful!
    I drink La Croix flavored water at work. (no calories, no artificial anything) It seems to replace soda for me. I will drink soda if I eat out, but at home and at work I almost never buy it. It really is poison.
  • sarahnwebster
    sarahnwebster Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I cut out all caffeinated beverages and sodas in February, but still drank Sprite or Sprite Zero. In August I cut out ALL soda. Now I drink nothing but water, but I will have a cup of decaf tea with honey if I feel like having a little treat. I sleep so much better now and have plenty of energy. I will never go back to drinking soda.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to cut out soda too. It's tough. I'm having a hard time when going out to eat, and sometimes I just want something other than water. What are you replacing it with? Any suggestions?

Put lime or lemon wedges in your water. Or get club soda. Or unsweetened iced tea - even if you sweeten it yourself, it's less sugar than they put in the pre-sweetened. It does take a while to get used to -- I went cold turkey in June of '07 -- but soon you'll have no interest in going back.
  • SoonerVet
    Options
    So.... any advice for people who NEED the caffeine (I'm a professional student and next year I'll be pulling 16 hour hospital shifts several days a week) but absolutely HATE the taste of coffee or tea? Yeah... except for taking caffeine pills, I haven't heard anything either. so until it's actually proven that diet soda will kill me (along with my cell phone) then I'll stick to my diet soda
  • jereneyz
    jereneyz Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have put on about 3 lbs though. Also, inches are dropping off as well. Furthermore, I'm doing weights and aerobics.
    My skin is a lot more radient and I'm building so much more muscles compared to before. I have also started eating organic fruits and vegetables more often, and substituted some of my refined carbs for whole grains.
    Well you don't "build" muscle while on a calorie deficit (there are exceptions,but you don't look to be in that category), so what you're seeing is less body fat which is a good thing.
    Muscle building means adding weight since adding muscle means weight increase.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jereneyz
    Options
    So.... any advice for people who NEED the caffeine (I'm a professional student and next year I'll be pulling 16 hour hospital shifts several days a week) but absolutely HATE the taste of coffee or tea? Yeah... except for taking caffeine pills, I haven't heard anything either. so until it's actually proven that diet soda will kill me (along with my cell phone) then I'll stick to my diet soda

Yeah... This is a problem. I had 2 caffeine pills a day while in college... Just postpone this until you get out of college I guess?
  • cajungirltx
    cajungirltx Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I tried to cut out diet coke and was successful for about 2 weeks. However, I have cut down to maybe 1 can a day. I try to drink more water or add Crystal Light to my water. Fruit Punch is my favorite.
  • jereneyz
    Options
    Congratulations on the success you've had!

Not to rain on the parade, but it seems you made a lot of changes at one time. Just to say the omission of diet soda from your daily intake is the reason may not be completely accurate.

Not necessarily. However, I've been on and off diets for the past 13 years. I've always had bad skin. The only differentiating factor this time is diet soda. So I'm inclined to believe that it is the root cause. Sorry for not putting my life story out there lol. :D
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I think anyone serious about their health just needs to cut out all soda, diet or otherwise, and corn syrup (as much as possible). It's not just about inches on your waist, there's diabetes and heart/blood problems, kidney stones, muscle loss, all very serious. Figure out how to quit drinking it and do that thing. Most people won't need to supplement it with something else, your energy levels from diet and exercise should naturally increase.
  • TwentyTreize
    Options
    I drink a lot of diet soda!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I think anyone serious about their health just needs to cut out all soda, diet or otherwise, and corn syrup (as much as possible). It's not just about inches on your waist, there's diabetes and heart/blood problems, kidney stones, muscle loss, all very serious. Figure out how to quit drinking it and do that thing. Most people won't need to supplement it with something else, your energy levels from diet and exercise should naturally increase.

So you are saying that soda, diet soda, corn syrup has risks for diabetes and heart/blood problems at any dosage?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I was doing really well with only having 1 soda a week for a while and was losing weight pretty rapidly. But since then I've slipped up and am having 3-4 per week. My rate of weight loss has gone down quite a bit. This post will help me make that a priority again (starting tomorrow-I have 1/2 of a diet Sunkist in the refrigerator I'm going to finish first :wink: )!

From what I understand about the artificial sweeteners in diet soda, they still resemble a sugar molecule enough that it will trigger a release of insulin in the body. This release of insulin causes your body to store up energy (aka calories) which will cause weight gain. So even though you're not consuming any calories when you drink a diet soda, you are still contributing to weight gain (or at least not contributing to weight loss).

This is just not true.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    What's soda? Is that like, pop?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!