Well that's depressing: When your pet was dying...

Options

Replies

• Dancerten
    Dancerten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Whenever a friend's pet passes, I make a donation in memory of that pet to their local SPCA/Humane Society (if it was a mixed breed) or to a rescue group that specializes in their pet's breed. My aunt and uncle's beloved lab Summer passed away suddenly this summer, so I donated $50 to a lab rescue near their town in memory of Summer. That way, you are helping save lives in memory of the life that passed.

Also, I have a framed printout of this poem with a picture of my lab/akita mix that passed several years ago:

"I Loved You Best" by Jim Willis

So this is where we part, My Friend,
    and you'll run on, around the bend,
    gone from sight, but not from mind,
    new pleasures there you'll surely find.

I will go on, I'll find the strength,
    life measures quality, not its length.
    One long embrace before you leave,
    share one last look, before I grieve.

There are others, that much is true,
    but they be they, and they aren't you.
    And I, fair, impartial, or so I thought,
    will remember well all you've taught.

Your place I'll hold, you will be missed,
    the fur I stroked, the nose I kissed.
    And as you journey to your final rest,
    take with you this...I loved you best.
  • jennalor
    jennalor Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My dog passed away this past spring, I was devastated. A good friend of mine sent me a sympathy card with a donation to a local animal shelter in my dogs name. That meant a lot to me. I still really miss my dog though, she was the best.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Whenever a friend's pet passes, I make a donation in memory of that pet to their local SPCA/Humane Society (if it was a mixed breed) or to a rescue group that specializes in their pet's breed. My aunt and uncle's beloved lab Summer passed away suddenly this summer, so I donated $50 to a lab rescue near their town in memory of Summer. That way, you are helping save lives in memory of the life that passed.

Also, I have a framed printout of this poem with a picture of my lab/akita mix that passed several years ago:

"I Loved You Best" by Jim Willis

So this is where we part, My Friend,
    and you'll run on, around the bend,
    gone from sight, but not from mind,
    new pleasures there you'll surely find.

I will go on, I'll find the strength,
    life measures quality, not its length.
    One long embrace before you leave,
    share one last look, before I grieve.

There are others, that much is true,
    but they be they, and they aren't you.
    And I, fair, impartial, or so I thought,
    will remember well all you've taught.

Your place I'll hold, you will be missed,
    the fur I stroked, the nose I kissed.
    And as you journey to your final rest,
    take with you this...I loved you best.

OMG - this is so beautiful. Thank you for sharing!
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    The nicest thing someone said to me went like this:

Go over how good your friend took care of the dog and how he/she has a knack with animals. Then say, I know that now is not the time for you to have a new pet. You need to grieve the loss of this one, and that's ok. But, I do hope that you get another dog one day and that dog will be as lucky as dog x to have you as his owner.
  • OhThatBlonde
    OhThatBlonde Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    What a thread – I’m sobbing terribly! I feel all your pain. This hits very close to home. Some of the worst pain I’ve had in my life has been associated with the death of a pet(s); a horse when I was a child – a golden retriever “Buck” when I was in my 20’s; and
    ... as I type this I am lucky to share my life with the best golden retriever - “Roscoe”!! He's my boy!! We have 2 other dogs; but Roscoe is my baby. He’s 14 – will be 15 on April 15th. He’s been with me through some of the worst times of my life – cheating husband/rotten end to a marriage, ugly divorce, death of my closest /most important relative, loneliness, new man and now husband. I’ve needed him every step of the way and not once had he needed anything more than a lovin’ pat and kind words... and perhaps a few treats :) I DREAD the day …

So, two years ago my husband (the good one) gave me a book “Old Dogs: Are the Best Dogs” (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/old-dogs-gene-weingarten/1112397975) I still haven’t been able to read the entire book; but I decided, when the time is right, I will create a similar book about Roscoe. Not to publish – just for me – to comfort me. I’ll keep it by my bedside . . . exactly where he likes to sleep.
  • heidimaggott78
    Options
    My dog died two weeks ago.the worst is when people go on and on and on and on about how cute their dog is, and how it swims, how good it is with children etc. I'm sorry,i know life goes on,but give me a few days. That happened to me.

The best thing anyone did, was say how sorry they were, then change the subject and get me thinking of happier things. Maybe a hug too.
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    My parents lost their dog at the end of October.... I am having a painting of him made for them for Christmas as I know they haven't many photos of him :)
  • fatboymax
    Options
    My friend gave me a laminated picture of each of my last two dogs that passed away. She said that She knew we were sad but everyone that knew ours dogs would miss them and that everyone had good memories of our dogs. All we can do now is hold on to those memories forever. Damn is someone cutting onions in my office right now!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Aww how sad for them. :( I agree with what someone else said, have a photo album made for them. You can to go shutterfly or walgreens and have a small one made for not much $. Or just get photos from them (steal them from FB if you can. lol ) put them in a small album and creatively write the dogs name on the front? Or use some of that scrapbooking 'stuff'.
    When my old yellow lab, Hayley, died from cancer, my daughter had a Christmas ornament made for me tht has her picture on it. I loved it!
    Also, when you tell them you are sorry, remind them of how pets are not just pets, they are family members and are missed as much and in many cases, even MORE than family.
    <hugs> for your friend!
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    The best thing someone said to me when my cat (who was with me for over 14 years) died was to tell me that when I feel really sad, to think of something funny my cat did (there are a lot of those!) or remember how happy he was, and focus on the good memories instead of on how much I miss him.

The worst thing someone can say is suggest getting a new pet, as if my cat was replaceable, or "it was just a cat". If someone truly doesn't get how important and loved a pet was, they don't need to talk to me at all.
  • VitaBailey
    VitaBailey Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I lost my beloved dog on October 2nd. It seems that some people expect you to get over it in a week because it was "only a dog." It is over 2 months now, and it is very nice when friends and family still ask how I am doing. It also helps when they tell me how sweet and wonderful she was and how they loved her too. We don't have to talk about her all day, just acknowledge that she was an important part of our lives. It means so much.

My profile picture is her sister, who is still with me.

I think you are a great person to care about your friend this way.

edit to add: Agree with above poster that the WORST thing for people to do is ask if you will be getting another dog. A few people said that and it really angered me.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Treat me kindly, my beloved friend, for no heart in all the world
    is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your
    hand between blows, your patience and understanding will more
    quickly teach me the things you would have me learn.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music,
    as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your
    footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

Please take me inside when it is cold and wet, for I am a domesticated
    animal, no longer accustomed to bitter elements. I ask no greater
    glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst.

Feed me clean food that I may stay well, to romp and play and do
    your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able
    to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, my friend, when I am very old, and I no longer enjoy good health,
    hearing and sight, do make heroic efforts to keep me going. I am not
    having any fun.

Please see that my trusting life is taken gently. I shall leave this Earth
    knowing with the last breath I draw that my fate was always safest in
    your hands
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    My dog died two weeks ago. My bff did the worst thing. She went on and on and on and on about how cute her dog is, and about the dogs training, and how it swam etc.

The best thing anyone did, was say how sorry they were, then change the subject and get me thinking of happier things. Maybe a hug too.
    That was amazing rude! I also had a neighbor who told me, the day I buried my beautiful yellow lab, that she had rat terrier puppies born that same day, in case I wanted to buy one. If she only knew how much I hated her annoying, loud, uncontrolled noisemaking, dogs that she doesn't even care about! Even my lab hated her dogs and would have eaten one if she could! I wanted to punch her.
  • UKChloeT
    Options
    The worst thing that someone did was when my family dog died, that had been in the family my entire life...my boyfriend at the time bought me one of those stupid toy robot dogs to "make me feel better"...it did the opposite.
  • kwatkin
    kwatkin Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    sending hugs to all those who've lost their pets.. my boyfriend went through this a couple years ago when they had to put his dog down and i found it very hard to console him, some great advice on here!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    My cat that I'd had since I was about 12 years old (I'm 25 now), recently passed away. My best friend Belinda, (Kelogik on here), made me a cross stitch of a kitty and framed it for me. Also added my cat's name to it. It was the sweetest thing. It made me cry.

Here's a pic of it
    BB769529-E772-485E-8DDE-183DC067FB29-5494-000004D36B02449B.jpg

I hung it and added a couple photos of me and my kitty around it
    2F2B2D66-A5EE-46B9-B552-AB0077595848-5494-000004D3765849EA.jpg
  • pudgeylou
    pudgeylou Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    We just had to put our dog down on Tuesday. A friend on Facebook (who lost her own down a month ago) had this posted today. i thought it was so sweet.

3706834192.jpg

OMG... *sob*

Now I am at work crying. :sad:
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Nothing will make her feel better. Just say you can see how much she loves her dog and that she is indeed a great dog. Time is the only thing that will help her. I went through this 3 years ago. I couldn't talk about my dog without crying for well over a year.
  • gkwatra
    gkwatra Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I came across this email from someone - they had found this story and I think it is very sweet. Kind of a "Pay It Forward" story - or maybe it was God - they never found out who wrote it. It comforts me immensely whenever I miss my cat Pebbles (we had to put her down this past May at the age of 15 due to renal failure).

"This is one of the kindest things I've ever experienced.
    I have no way to know who sent it, but there is a kind soul working in
    the dead letter office of the US postal service.

Our 14 year old dog, Abbey, died last month.

The day after she died, my 4 year old daughter Meredith was crying and
    talking about how much she missed Abbey. She asked if we could write a
    letter to God so that when Abbey got to heaven, God would recognize her.

I told her that I thought we could, so she dictated these words:

Dear God,

Will you please take care of my dog? She died yesterday and is with
    you in heaven. I miss her very much. I am happy that you let me have
    her as my dog even though she got sick. I hope you will play with her.
    She likes to play with balls and to swim.. I am sending a picture of
    her so when you see her you will know that she is my dog. I really
    miss her.

Love, Meredith.

We put the letter in an envelope with a picture of Abbey and Meredith
    and addressed it to God/Heaven.

We put our return address on it.
    Then Meredith pasted several stamps on the front of the envelope
    because she said it would take lots of stamps to get the letter all
    the way to heaven.

That afternoon she dropped it into the letter box at the post office.

A few days later, she asked if God had gotten the letter yet. I told
    her that I thought He had.

Yesterday, there was a package wrapped in gold paper on our front
    porch addressed, "To Meredith" in an unfamiliar hand. Meredith opened
    it. Inside was a book by Mr Rogers called, "When a Pet Dies."

Taped to the inside front cover was the letter we had written to God
    in its opened envelope.

On the opposite page was the picture of Abbey & Meredith and this note:

Dear Meredith,
    Abbey arrived safely in heaven.
    Having the picture was a big help. I recognized Abbey right away.
    Abbey isn't sick anymore. Her spirit is here with me, just like it
    stays in your heart. Abbey loved being your dog. Since we don't need
    our bodies in heaven, I don't have any pockets to keep your picture
    in, so I am sending it back to you in this little book for you to
    keep and have something to remember Abbey by.

Thank you for the beautiful letter and thank your mother for helping
    you write it and sending it to me.What a wonderful mother you have. I
    picked her especially for you. I send my blessings every day and
    remember that I love you very much.

By the way, I am wherever there is love.

Love, God"
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I think anything is nice for something like that because generally its not acknowledged at all