A bottle of beer or a glass of wine?

Options
Hey everyone!

I'm going out tonight for a friend's leaving party, and want to keep an eye on my alcohol intake. Just wondering what's better calorie-wise? A bottle of normal beer or a glass of wine?
And if a glass of wine is better, should I have red or white?

Thanks!

Replies

• acakeforawife
    Options
    In terms of pure calories, I think red wine is the least. (Unless you opt for light beer.) You just have to be careful when ordering wine b/c different places will pour totally different amounts. I have seen a glass of wine range anywhere from 4 oz to 9 oz.

For me wine is also the easiest to sip and savour, so it's a good choice. Beer you tend to drink more quickly (so it doesn't get warm) and then you find yourself ordering another and another! (Or is that just me??:wink: )
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    My suggestion: put a serving of each (the specific brand if you know it, and the serving size) into your food diary and compare them. :flowerforyou:
  • TalonaCat
    TalonaCat Posts: 241
    Options
    I don't know about calories, but I know that RED wine is better for your heart and blood pressure. I imagine caloric intake would vary between the brands and types.
  • jaycee76
    jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Does it have to be beer or wine? Spirits such as gin and vodka are the lowest in cals with either slimline tonic or diet drinks.

Have a good night x
  • hollyroode
    Options
    I drink red wine. I find that I drink way less of it than beer because the alcohol content is higher.
  • mlv333
    mlv333 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Simply looking at the caloric intake white wine wins at average 65, red is about 70, and light beer is 90-100 tying with liquor at 100 a shot. I usually pick the red wine, b/c that's the one with all the antioxidants in the tannins. If I'm drinking the calories might as well pick the one that is supposed to be good for me, too. For generic nutrition facts I like this website http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/beverages/3843/2
  • Simplicity
    Simplicity Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I love talking about alcohol so I chose both ha ha followed by Jack daniels and coke, But seriously my weight loss was more sucessful when i dropped beer and took up wine, but it is much stronger so watch urself, I usually drink red wine and lemonade crazy as it sounds I love it and it makes it a little weaker.
    Ben
  • afluegel
    afluegel Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I had the same question when i started to diet. The answer was always Red Wine. So I have tried to stick to that - which isn't that hard since I love it! But, when I do want a change my friend came up with a really refreshing drink = Rasberry Vodka with Crystal Light lemonade and squeeze fresh strawberry into it. It is so yummy and not bad on the calories. Another favorite of mine is Vanilla Vodka with Diet Coke - taste like vanilla coke and also low on calories! Everywhere I have read that beer is the worst alcohol to drink diet wise.....