this is a cry for help :(

So I have been an active member of MFP for at least 6 months now, thanks to my good sista friend Crystal!
I lost 17 lbs in the first 3 months, watching my calorie intake (1200), working out (60 minutes every day), and doing what I could. I have come to a strong hault and even backtracked 7 lbs.

Least to say I feel like throwing in the towel and eating my weight in food.

I have gotten some advice from a few people, basically saying I'm doing things all wrong.

My question to you is, what do you eat for breakfast, what do you eat for lunch while you are at work? What do you snack on throughout the day so you're not starving by the time you get home? I feel hungry all the time (and I'm NOT PREGNANT).

I also am a single mother to a newborn and I really need help with finding ways to get my energy level up. I am so tired, and so worn out, I basically chug coffee all day.

Anyone have ANY TIPS on any of these matters?

Replies

• sounds like you need to eat more. you're probably not getting enough calories. Just up your calories, continue to exercise, and continue to make healthy choices.

some ideas:
    Breakfast - fruit, yogurt, oatmeal, eggs
    lunch - salad, small sandwich or wrap, fruits or veggies with ranch
    snack - beef jerkey, yogurt, pretzels, cheese, fruit, veggies with dip, crackers with almond or peanut butter
    dinner - steak/chicken/salmon with veggies

it doesn't really matter what you eat as long as you watch your portions and cut out the processed foods
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Profein! You need to eat more protein than what MFP recommends. Double it to 30% (go to My Home - Goals - Change - Custom).

I snack on greek yogurt (the plain kind with fresh fruit added, NOT Chobani or Oikos, which are loaded with sugar) or low fat cheese and fruit. I've lost 40lbs since July and have not experienced hunger of any kind.

If you eat mostly 'clean' foods (lean meat, low fat dairy, vegetables, fruits, nuts), 1200 calories goes a long way! I net 1200-1400 daily and I'm 6'2. Pick foods that are also high in fiber when you pick your carbs and this will also help you stay full longer.
  • the weight really flies off when you first start out, especially at such a low calorie limit. Once your system figures out what you're doing the weight loss comes to a screeching halt and, not only is it harder to lose, but MUCH easier to gain as your metabolism slows to a crawl. You have to up your calories - scary, at first, I know, but you just gotta. The fact that you're barely eating is prob what is causing you to 1. feel like you're starving (cuz you are) and 2. have almost no energy (no fuel).
    I usually have either a protein shake or malto meal with extra milk for breakfast. I've had oatmeal as well, with mixed unsalted nuts or peanut butter. Lunch is usually soup, and dinner is kinda whatever I want. That's just me (oh, and fruit makes a good snack). But that's just how I roll, you gotta eat what you enjoy because if you're suffering you won't continue, deprivation always leads to rebellion.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    You may not be eating enough. See link below, which is well posted on this site and seems to be working for lots of people.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

There are also lots of reviews about eating more on the forum for you to check out as well to assist you in making any decisions on this.

Good luck.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Agree with everyone else. You need to up your calories. You're probably burning tons of calories just looking after your baby, and odds are you aren't giving your body the nutritional support it needs.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,640 Member
    check out my food diary. i feel like i've been doing pretty well this week.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    You mention a newborn … are you breastfeeding? Make sure to add in the extra calories for that (500 if that's all he eats, 300 if he's starting solids or supplementing with formula). It's entirely possible that you aren't eating enough which can throw things off balance.

Also realize that, if you are breastfeeding, it may just be harder to lose. Focus on healthy habits and be patient. It's far more important to give your baby nutrition than to race to a better body, right? Some women just have a hard time losing anything as long as they breastfeed (unlike what they tell you, that the baby weight will melt away).

If you aren't breastfeeding, then just disregard this whole post :wink:
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    I agree you might not be eating enough. When I started, I was eating very little, and I lost some, but any time I ate a normal calorie intake (2000 calories or around there) I would gain so much back. It's better to have a small deficit, like 250-500 calories, from what your normal intake would be—called your Total Daily Energy Expenditure. This is easier to maintain—both when it comes to your sanity and keeping the weight off long-term.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12 is a great link, so is eatmore2weighless.com.
  • WeatherGirl8
    WeatherGirl8 Posts: 91 Member
    I found that if I eat bigger meals I actually eat less overall. It just keeps me full and then I'm not shoving chocolate and other high cal stuff in my face the rest of the day. As for energy? It's hard taking care of a newborn! But maybe up your intake a bit? If you're still exercising *and* caring for the baby, some extra calories could really do you good! Sometimes it even helps you lose to up your intake to what you need for maitinance for a while, then switch back.
  • Usually..when I am having a normal day I would eat:
    Breakfast: Cereal or toast...or if I am in a hurry I will grab a piece of fruit/breakfast bar
    Lunch: I have a salad usually with pasta/rice/meat. It's quick and nutritious at the same time!!!

I tend to snack on fruit, or nuts. I drink alot of tea aswell which I am trying to cut down on.

My appetite hasn't been very big lately, so this advice doesn't currently reflect in my food diaries. But on an average, healthy day this is what I'd eat :)

You probably need to consume a few more calories, and/or eat more slow release foods. Pasta, rice, things like that. Especially with a new born as you may find yourself only eating when you get the chance. Pasta is great for that as it's filling and you can prepare it in advance!!!

I hope this has helped??

Good luck!! and don't worry!!! Everything will be fine!! :) x x
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    its all in WHAT you eat.

Go right now, buy a 16 ounce bag of baby carrots. Boil them in water (nothing else) when done, toss in ONE TEASPOON of butter.. if you even need it.. i do it basically to say.. ohh, i had butter! because you dont taste it. lol and eat the WHOLE ENTIRE POT OF THEM.

Now, how many calories was that? yep, less than 200 and im betting you that you are about to barf you are so full.

Choose wisely what you eat and you wont be hungry and you will have a heck of a hard time reaching your calorie goal.

Good luck!! YOU CAN do this!! Promise!!

I dont eat like that all the time.. no one does, but when i have days when i just cant get full.. thats what i do! Also, if you go over.. so what.. at least you are going over in veggies.. which is like NO fat.. and you WILL get full and is EXCELLENT for your body!! .. unlike if you eat a bag of chips, which will go DIRECTLY to your *kitten*.. all of it.. its all fat, will take you FOREVER to work off, and has no nutritional value to your body..
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    First of all - let me say congratulations on your baby :D Babies are a blessing - and a big energy drain.

Like others have said, if you are an active young mother that is hungry all the time then you may not be eating enough. If you are breastfeeding then you definitely are not eating enough.

I was like you when I first joined and took the 1200 as gospel. It took me two weeks to figure out that despite an excellent diet I was starving hungry far too much for it to be sustainable. That's when I looked closely at the roadmaps thread someone above me mentioned.

First thing I did was re-examine my activity levels and decided I set them far too low. Next step was to reset MFP to reflect my true activity level INCLUDING exercise so I didn't have to log it separately. My calories jumped up to 1330 and that was still with a 1 pound a week weight loss. At this level I lost easily and did not feel like I still needed to gnaw my arm off to get sustenance. I also manually reset my ratio of carbs/protein/fats to get a little more protein into my diet. (This is in the goals tab when you are in My Home). I changed mine to 40/30/30 and I have found that more satisfying food wise.

As for food...my breakfast is usually egg on toast or baked beans on toast (not really a cereal girl since having my children) or vegemite on toast (yep I'm an Aussie :) ).

Lunch is usually a salad with a protein source like lamb/chicken/chickpeas/tuna

Dinner is usually something I would have eaten before MPF like homemade pizza/curry/stirfry/pasta. The only difference now is I have put my recipes into the recipe tab and worked out how much I SHOULD eat of it and serve it like this for me. Portion size has always been my downfall and I am slowly re-educating myself on what a portion should look like.

One thing I did find handy was to go to my diary and work out roughly how many cals I wanted from each meal section and input into my recipe section a handful of recipes that met these cal levels. When I cook something that I know will have leftovers, I take the leftovers out straight away and freeze them. I don't put them in the fridge (too tempting when you are hungry).

Good luck - and if you are breastfeeding then search the forums for the breastfeeding mothers group as they have some great advice.
  • hathor1943
    hathor1943 Posts: 57 Member
    Get yourself some Jimmy Dean delights to eat for breakfast. They are 259 calories with 15 grams of protein and take 2 minutes in the microwave to heat from frozen. I also eat Oikos plain lowfat yogurt with some Arcadia Farms granola in it. The Oikos is 26 grams of protein in 1 cup. For a snack get some Proti brand Protein bars. They are 150 calories, 5 gram sugar and 15 grams protein. Protein will fill you up and help burn fat. They taste pretty good too. Look on www.bariatrix.com for items. I get mine from my surgeons office. For lunch at work, take a meal replacement drink powder and then when you are ready to drink it mix it with water. I also like Kashi go lean cereal mixed with yogurt this is really a high protein meal as the yogurt has 26 g protein and the cereal has 13 g protein. If you have a microwave at work, take something you made the day before to reheat. Just sayin'.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    PM me if you have any Qs on the road map and major props to the seeders!
    If you are following any of my advice please send a friend request!

Hugs!
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    get a fitbit/body bug/ heart rate monitor to see how many calories you are actually burning. Preferably one that syncs with MFP. People are always saying "eat more" or "eat less", but until you know what you actually burn during they day you cant be sure what will work. Once you do know how much you burn during a day, just eat 500-1000 calories less than that each day.

Also, like a work out, your body gets used to eating the same thing. I occasionally mix it up a little. Sometimes I will have what I call a fatty day, and sometimes I will do a shake cleanse just to trick up my metabolism. Of course, when I say fatty day, I mean I eat around 1600 calories instead of my usual 1200. On my cleanse days, I might drop it to 1000. Either way, I never do this for more than three days. No matter what I do, I try to keep all my meals around the same calories (300 on a regular day), with 20 grams of protein at each meal.

Lastly, make sure you are correctly logging your food (get a food scale/measuring cups) and drink a ton of water.

Other than that, just know that it takes time and it doesn't get easier the closer you get to your goal...but it is worth it in the end.
  • cakemewithyou
    cakemewithyou Posts: 132 Member
    I just want everyone to know that I (very sadly) upped my calorie intake to 1500. I also ate scrambled eggs for breakfast and added paprika. (fried with EVOO rather than butter)
    I also think I kind of understand the way it works.

Basically, if I want to lose one lb a week, and 1 lb is 3500 calories, then I have to BURN 3500 calories with my exercising, not by starving myself? Is that right?
  • IowaPrincess
    IowaPrincess Posts: 274 Member
    Hello sista friend :)

I think you should try proein shakes like I drink.

1 scoop protein powder (Whey protein/low carb)
    splenda to taste
    almond milk 1-2 cups
    ice
    sugar free coffee creamer for flavor
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    I just want everyone to know that I (very sadly) upped my calorie intake to 1500. I also ate scrambled eggs for breakfast and added paprika. (fried with EVOO rather than butter)

Basically, if I want to lose one lb a week, and 1 lb is 3500 calories, then I have to BURN 3500 calories with my exercising, not by starving myself? Is that right?

On paper yes but hormonally no.
    You could be eating the perfect foods and the perfect calories and lifting the perfect weight and walking the perfect mile and your fat/weight loss will stall.
    Dont panic and lower the cals just keep at it.
    Most women can lose fat at 1600/day so just keep working at it.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member

No, you don't have to exercise those calories off. As long as you have a deficit of 3500 at the end of the week, whether through diet, exercise, or a *combination* of both, then it's correct.

If I'm sick and can't exercise one week, I just eat fewer calories to maintain my deficit. If I'm back to burning calories through exercise, I know I can eat a little more.

Hope that helps. :)
  • cakemewithyou
    cakemewithyou Posts: 132 Member

On paper yes but hormonally no.
    You could be eating the perfect foods and the perfect calories and lifting the perfect weight and walking the perfect mile and your fat/weight loss will stall.
    Dont panic and lower the cals just keep at it.
    Most women can lose fat at 1600/day so just keep working at it.

:( ughhhhh
    SO discouraging. I guess I will just keep toying with it and see where this new plan gets me. Thanks for your input!