Losing 1lb a month vs a week!

Options
I am starting to feel discouraged yet again but instead of feeling depressed, binging, and giving up I decided to come here for some support. I feel like I am not going to get any solutions because I feel like I have tried everything! I feel like I am doing everything right but getting no results. I have had blood tests and nothing is wrong with me according to doc. I even started some hypnotherapy.

A little background...

1. I have lost about 12 lbs this year and 2 inches from my waist. I have been stuck at 208 for like 5-6 weeks.
2. I feel better and do better w/ my diet when I eat low carb/slow carb diet so I do most of the time, but I do take 1 day off a week and holidays.
3. I had a baby 18 months ago--I was 195 before baby and 234 after baby. I am 5'4 so my ideal weight would be about 140.
4. I try to be very strict during the week-- eat lots of protein, veggies, some beans, very little cheese, lots of black coffee, a little half and half. Calorie intake is about 1200 calories. (I read the 4 hour body and was following his advice).
5. My workouts are not always consistent b/c I have 2 jobs and a toddler. Minimally I workout 2xs a week. Most weeks it is 3-4 times a week for 45 minutes. Some weeks I even go 5 to 6 times. I can easily jog 2 miles. I also do 30DS and occasionally a yoga video. I worked out with trainers in the past and read a lot of fitness articles, etc. so I feel pretty knowledgeable.

My husband thinks it's great that I have kept the weight off and that I lost some, but I want more results. In particular I have been working really hard for the last 2 weeks and seeing no results on the scale is so disappointing. I really want to get under 200 so bad. I also want to be as low as I can for my 30th bday in Feb.

I just started taking probiotics and vitamins to see if that helps. I also drink as much water as I can. And I eat mostly clean. Gave up coke zero and splenda which I used to love but still no results on the scale.

Anyone else been through this and have some words of encouragement or advice?

Replies

• Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Have you tried playing around with your calorie intake yet? (and not just for a few days, for a few weeks)
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I have read on here that people that arent losing weight its because there calories are to low.
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Don't do it too fast. It's tempting to cut as low as possible, but a) this will slow your metabolism and you'll have to cut lower and lower to see results, which is ultimately unsustainable and b) you won't have any energy to workout.
    Cutting too much will ultimately sabotage you in the long run.
    One pound a month may not be what you want or what is advertised in the weight loss ads, but real people rarely work that way. I personally lose weight extremely incrementally, one pound every couple of months even. It depends on your body type.

You could always try hiring a trainer back and shaking things up again, or like she said, playing around with the calorie intake with calorie cycling, etc.
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I also tend to be a "slow loser"! I just have to remember that as long as it's going in the right direction then I need to celebrate that as a success. Every body is different, and what works for others may not work for you. If you really feel as though you are doing everything right I would suggest talking with your Dr. I did when I got frustrated and they tested my thyroid and I found out I had a low-active thyroid, not quite hypothyroidism but enough of a disfunction to prescribe a low-dose thyroid medication, which helped a lot! Although I still wasn't at 1-2 lbs per week, I was at least at 2-3 lbs per month instead of yo-yoing back and forth with the same 5 lbs. Make sure you are also measuring your arms, chest, thinnest and thickest part of your waist, your hips, thighs and calves. My tummy inches are the last and slowest to come off. Stick to it and eventually you will see the numbers you want! You will never regret tomorrow the progress you started today. Good luck!
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    PS, If coke and splenda keep your morale up I don't see any reason to toss them. You need SOME treats on a diet IMO.
  • GingerRunner
    Options
    Hiya! First of all, Kudos to you for your successes. Obviously, I only know what you have provided in your post but all I can see there are two things:
    1. what kind of calories are you consuming on your "cheat days." (your weekends and holidays)
    2. are you including any strength training? i.e. weight lifting.

Our minds play tricks on us. Trust me, I have packed the weight on by "eating clean!" It's all about those dastardly calories. And as far as weight is concerned, a calorie IS a calorie. No weekly deficit = no weekly loss. I'd be willing to bet you're sabotaging yourself each and every time you give yourself a cheat day.

As far as strength training goes--on top of it being vital for our bone density, etc., the higher percentage of muscle tissue the faster the fat burn. Muscles are the internal fire for fat burning.

Look that cheat day in the eyeball and don't undermine all your other successes.

Best!
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Go for a more aggressive weight loss plan if you are not satisfied with the results. Decrease caloric intake and exercise a little more!

EDIT: Also, consistency is key. Everyone gets discouraged but try not to give yourself too many cheat days. Why not just eat a meal that you enjoy instead of turning it into a whole entire day?
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is way too low, especially if you're exercising. If you slowly increase your calorie intake, you'll find that you feel better and are able to work harder through your workouts.

My advice...go to fat2fitradio.com and calculate your BMR and then eat the amount of calories based on your exercise level. I've been doing that for months and feel great and have been continuing to lose.
  • runlikeananna
    runlikeananna Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have gone from 198 pounds to 147 pounds in just over a year and a half following a 1400 cal a day diet with a little walking. 20 pounds came off slowly in the first 7 months and then I just sat. I ramped it up from June and dropped my cals to 1200 and exercised off 400 cals a day and have dropped the rest. I have found when I stop losing that I need to revisit what I am eating and how hard I am exercising but apart from that I just have to keep at it. My aim is to hit about 140 pounds. It is really more about eating though. Good luck and don't give up.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    ur nuts for trying one pound a week! I try to do 2-3 pounds a month or I have to starve myself.
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    my weight loss is about a pound a month, also. it IS discouraging, and in the past i have done what you say you're not going to do -- given up and binged -- but that only made me feel even worse. so good for you for sticking to your goals! i don't have any advice (obviously, since i'm in the same boat), but i did want to offer some encouraging words. the weight change is going in the right direction, and 12 pounds lost is better than 12 pounds gained! your husband is right... you've dropped some weight and kept it off, which is great!
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hiya! First of all, Kudos to you for your successes. Obviously, I only know what you have provided in your post but all I can see there are two things:
    1. what kind of calories are you consuming on your "cheat days." (your weekends and holidays)
    2. are you including any strength training? i.e. weight lifting.

Our minds play tricks on us. Trust me, I have packed the weight on by "eating clean!" It's all about those dastardly calories. And as far as weight is concerned, a calorie IS a calorie. No weekly deficit = no weekly loss. I'd be willing to bet you're sabotaging yourself each and every time you give yourself a cheat day.

As far as strength training goes--on top of it being vital for our bone density, etc., the higher percentage of muscle tissue the faster the fat burn. Muscles are the internal fire for fat burning.

Look that cheat day in the eyeball and don't undermine all your other successes.

Best!

This. When i first started I just kept track, didn't try to do any particular number. Turned out even then that Mon-Th I was doing well, but my weekends were off the charts. I don't give myself cheat days, because I know from having charted such days that they are way more than you think. But I do do a double swim on Sunday. I burn about 1200 cals and then I can eat pretty much what I'd like to and still stay under my total for the day (eating back exercise). I did find in October that I was not losing, and that was when I was eating too little after being ill for a weekend and getting out of the habit of eating. It was not a good thing.
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Here's what the Mayo Clinic has to say about plateaus:
    https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss-plateau/MY01152

From the article: "A plateau occurs because your metabolism — the process of burning calories for energy — slows as you lose muscle. You burn fewer calories than you did at your heavier weight even doing the same activities. Your weight-loss efforts result in a new equilibrium with your now slower metabolism."

The second page of the article includes ways to deal with a plateau.
  • lovingmethin
    lovingmethin Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Don't give up on yourself and don't beat yourself up! I have to tell myself everyday that even if I only lose 1 pound a month, I'll be 60 pounds thinner in 5 years. I've lost weight quickly in the past and I have never been able to keep it of. I'm hoping that this time is different. I wish you the best of luck!
  • Denisegp37
    Denisegp37 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement guys! On my cheat days I don't eat horrible. I basically eat some carbs and maybe a meal I have been wanting or dinner out...maybe desser. Never go over 2000 even though "4 hr. body" encourages massive 4000 cal binges for weightloss!

I have always been a "slow loser" as someone put it but it is so fustrating and that is why I think I have never been my goal weight because I feel like I try and try and try and don't get a good pay off!!! haha...just feeling sorry for myself I guess!

I have check my thyroid like every year hoping that something is wrong so I can have an anwser to all my weight problems!!! Ugh! I also did metabolic testing pre-baby and the results said that in order to lose 1 lb a wk I have to eat 1100 cals a day. The trainer was like oh nooooo don't eat less than 1200....I've never gotten results this low.

I am usually hungry at 1200. I have done 1500 for 2 months Aug./Sept. I maintained and then gained 2 lbs. even w/ exercise. I can't ever eat my exercise calories or I just maintain.
  • JenPentelei
    JenPentelei Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You sound like me. I feel my best with a very low carb diet. I cut sugar out completely. No pasta, rice, or starchy foods. It really helped. I do low fat /nonfat dairy lean proteinnand veggies and low glycemic fruits (apples, pears ect.) Your issue might be gluten. 70% of women have some level of gluten intolerance which causes us to retain water and bloats. This might be part of your problem. I have lost 27 lbs just changing my diet to this. And 1200 calories is pretty low. I would consentrate on content more than calories. Good move getting rid of splenda. New research is starting to show its not good for you and can actually cause weight gain. Go with pure stevia.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Go for a more aggressive weight loss plan if you are not satisfied with the results. Decrease caloric intake and exercise a little more!

EDIT: Also, consistency is key. Everyone gets discouraged but try not to give yourself too many cheat days. Why not just eat a meal that you enjoy instead of turning it into a whole entire day?

If your calories are really 1,200 and you are exercising that much - NOT ^^this
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I would work out you average calories over the last say 2 months and see how much your intake is on average.

Also, how accurately do you log your food. Do you weigh, measure and log everything?