Getting negative comments :(

Options
People don't understand that this is a challenge for me to reach my goal. Lately, i've been called "boring" and "too strict" and "i need to have fun". I do have fun, but food isn't the center of attention anymore. I'm trying to not let the negative comments get to me! I've come along way from 230 pounds to 165 pounds...i'm 15 pounds away from my goal. I can do it!!!!

Replies

• Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Yes you can! Plug your ears to the negative comments because it seems that the more we change, the more people fight you on that change. Do it for yourself, not someone else! By the way, congrats on reaching 165 lbs. That is a huge accomplishment!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Lately, i've been called "boring" and "too strict" and "i need to have fun". I do have fun, but food isn't the center of attention anymore.

I always say "If I wanted to look like you I would eat like you." Shuts them up every time.
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Just keep going!! I know exactly how you feel. I have reached a "normal" weight finally and people are constantly telling me that I don't need to work out and I can spare to eat a bunch of treats. What they don't seem to understand is while they think I look fine, I'm not to my goal body yet and it's a goal that I am very close to so I do not want to give up yet!
  • jereneyz
    jereneyz Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Awww :( You get a hug from me -hugs-

Please don't feel upset about what meanies say. They are just jealous that you've managed to lose such a mind-blowing amount of weight! It must've been really really tough, and you are amazing to look like you do today. You definitely look like you are having fun. :D
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    You can do it!!! People do fear change for the most part, they are also quite likely jealous because you have the will power, and can say no to the foods they won't. They will eventually come around and you will get through it. Remember that nothing lasts forever, unless you try to make it so. Peoples' attitudes will gradually change as the become accustomed to the new you. Maybe you can gradually explain the changes to them - the how and the why of it all. Congratulations!!!
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options

I always say "If I wanted to look like you I would eat like you." Shuts them up every time.

This is an amazing response.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    You don't need to attack back. That's just creating drama. But you could, later, take a person who made that comment aside and talk to them.

On the other side, I used to know a guy who was really rude and cruel about my weight. I took him aside and asked him if he was my husband, lover, father, son? Did he have any responsibility for my health care or grocery bill? Was he something to me that my appearance affected him in any way? He was gobsmacked. And sputtered that no, of course not. I said, "Then my weight and appearance are none of your concern, so stop talking about them." That was the end of the attacks. Sometimes people are just thoughtless.

Your friends, if they thought about it, would realize that your choices aren't a condemnation of theirs. They are your choices for you. And you fully accept that they can choose to eat or drink what they want to around you. It's nothing to you. And what you eat or drink around them is nothing to them.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I guess if you're looking to get back at them, you can just look them up and down and snicker. That generally makes people feel a little self-conscious.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Haters gonna hate. Let them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    People don't understand that this is a challenge for me to reach my goal. Lately, i've been called "boring" and "too strict" and "i need to have fun". I do have fun, but food isn't the center of attention anymore. I'm trying to not let the negative comments get to me! I've come along way from 230 pounds to 165 pounds...i'm 15 pounds away from my goal. I can do it!!!!

They are just haters! But seriously if you are one of those people that doles out unwanted weight loss advice (l was a severe offender of this when I originally lost 60 pounds) then cool it because it makes people annoyed and sad. Congrats on your loss!
  • KrisThomas1964
    Options

This works for me!!!
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Options
    That is called haterisms my dear. and the only remedy is to shake them off. ;-) You keep working it for you. Don't stop and don't let anyone discourage you.
  • butterflylady86
    butterflylady86 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Yes you can do it. Ignore the negative comments. They aren't worth your time. Peace and congrats
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Lately, i've been called "boring" and "too strict" and "i need to have fun". I do have fun, but food isn't the center of attention anymore.

But that works both ways. No need to be deliberately nasty.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I was just told that I am no longer fun.. I quit drinking while I do this and evidently sober me isn't as fun as drunk me.. Oh well..
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    You don't need to attack back. That's just creating drama. But you could, later, take a person who made that comment aside and talk to them.

On the other side, I used to know a guy who was really rude and cruel about my weight. I took him aside and asked him if he was my husband, lover, father, son? Did he have any responsibility for my health care or grocery bill? Was he something to me that my appearance affected him in any way? He was gobsmacked. And sputtered that no, of course not. I said, "Then my weight and appearance are none of your concern, so stop talking about them." That was the end of the attacks. Sometimes people are just thoughtless.

Your friends, if they thought about it, would realize that your choices aren't a condemnation of theirs. They are your choices for you. And you fully accept that they can choose to eat or drink what they want to around you. It's nothing to you. And what you eat or drink around them is nothing to them.
    I think you are pretty awesome.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options

Wow I wish I'd used that with a mean contractor on a project I was on who would always loudly whisper or be out and out rude about my weight.
    Ironically she has piled on the pounds recently ... Whereas another work colleague kindly invited me to join a Facebook group of like minded friends to all encourage and cheer our losses. Funnily enough no-one has ever extended the invite to her.

You just keep on going until you get your goal!
  • levstein
    Options
    They are jealous of your strength and willpower. They want you to fail. I come across this attitude in a lot of overweight people our success our determination makes them feel insecure and weak their problem not ours! I just ignore any negative comments but it makes me more determined to reach goal weight and maintain it. Congratulations on your weight loss and keep working towards your goal. :flowerforyou:
  • Absaluteme
    Absaluteme Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I get that stuff from people in the local pub cos I'm not drinking myself to death. They stand there looking like a stroke or heart attack on legs and laugh at me for running up and down the road and only having two glasses of wine. Good luck to em. Keep at it, you'll be the eventual winner.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Do you have any like-minded friends? It might be nice having people to hang out with that understand why you're doing what you're doing.