Cutting out diet soda

Options
1235»

Replies

• jereneyz
    jereneyz Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You've made so many other changes, I seriously doubt it's just due to the lack of soda.Correlation=/= causation.

The reason why I think it's the diet soda is:
    Not necessarily. However, I've been on and off diets for the past 13 years. (...) The only differentiating factor this time is diet soda. So I'm inclined to believe that it is the root cause.

Have you tracked your calories throughout all that time?

Yes.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    replied below.
  • RECowgill
    Options

You are obviously rather opinionated yourself - see bold. Far more than me to be honest. I generally back my opinions up with peer based studies when making a claim where possible. You have not.

If you do not want a food, that is fine and I respect that. But making claims about them that have no basis is a very different matter.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1829363/

Would you count this as reputable? They cite peer reviewed research that shows soda and especially corn syrup can cause type 2 diabetes, weight gain and other negative health outcomes, including liver problems and cancer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/22/health/nutrition/22real.html?em&ex=1201410000&en=66790a693871559a&ei=5087 &_r=0

This article states that the NIH did controlled studies on heavy soda drinkers and found their kidney related problems, including kidney stones, shot up by 2x.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

You are obviously rather opinionated yourself - see bold. Far more than me to be honest. I generally back my opinions up with peer based studies when making a claim where possible. You have not.

If you do not want a food, that is fine and I respect that. But making claims about them that have no basis is a very different matter.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1829363/

Would you count this as reputable? They cite peer reviewed research that shows soda and especially corn syrup can cause type 2 diabetes, weight gain and other negative health outcomes, including liver problems and cancer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/22/health/nutrition/22real.html?em&ex=1201410000&en=66790a693871559a&ei=5087 &_r=0

This article states that the NIH did controlled studies on heavy soda drinkers and found their kidney related problems, including kidney stones, shot up by 2x.

Thank you for actually providing something.

I need to look at these in more detail (it's late here) to comment further but from a quick look what I am seeing is there is correlation and not causation from meta analysis. Also, this is on non-diet soda where the topic at hand is in relation to diet soda.

As noted in the first link, the main issue is that drinking non-diet soda for example, displaces drinking more nutritious and less calorific beverages. For someone on a calorie controlled diet as most people on this site are, there is no direct issue with drinking soda assuming an otherwise nutritious diet. And no issues were noted with diet soda.

Also, the highest consumption of soda was found in diets that were pretty cr@ppy generally. Why blame the soda? - the blame can equally lay at the feet of the fast food burgers. Again, correlation, not causation

With regard to the second link - I cannot see the actual study so cannot comment but this was linked to cola only and specifically mentioned that it was not linked to any other kind of soda. Unfortunately the study is not cited in the article.

Do you have anything on the muscle loss you mentioned? I would be interested in seeing that. Could you also cite anything you have in relation to diet soda causing the issues you noted. As I mention above, this is what the topic is about.

To be clear - do I think high consumption of non-diet sodas a good idea? - absolutely not.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    You've made so many other changes, I seriously doubt it's just due to the lack of soda.Correlation=/= causation.

Not necessarily. However, I've been on and off diets for the past 13 years. (...) The only differentiating factor this time is diet soda. So I'm inclined to believe that it is the root cause.

Yes.

And you did exactly the same exercises?
  • jereneyz
    jereneyz Posts: 52 Member
    Options

Yes.

Yes. In fact, slightly more than now, but not by much. If you'd re-read my original post, if I didn't realize that there are probably other factors that contribute to my lost inches / better complexion, I wouldn't bother mentioning all the other changes in the first place..? I ate roughly the same food too (amount / types). However, the major change is soda, ergo my conclusion.

If you want to believe that it's all the other changes, I'm aware of it and I'm happy with that too. But personally, I'm leaning more towards the soda change.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Yes.

Yes. In fact, slightly more than now, but not by much. If you'd re-read my original post, if I didn't realize that there are probably other factors that contribute to my lost inches / better complexion, I wouldn't bother mentioning all the other changes in the first place..? I ate roughly the same food too (amount / types). However, the major change is soda, ergo my conclusion.

If you want to believe that it's all the other changes, I'm aware of it and I'm happy with that too. But personally, I'm leaning more towards the soda change.

Sounds legit
  • rousehouse
    rousehouse Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I remember reading about how diet soda makes you crave sugary things....... didn't realize how true that was until I stopped drinking it!!! It helped me a lot.

Same here! When I stopped drinking diet soda, it made a huge difference in how hungry I was. I drank a lot of it (2+ litres per day).
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I think anyone serious about their health just needs to cut out all soda, diet or otherwise, and corn syrup (as much as possible). It's not just about inches on your waist, there's diabetes and heart/blood problems, kidney stones, muscle loss, all very serious. Figure out how to quit drinking it and do that thing. Most people won't need to supplement it with something else, your energy levels from diet and exercise should naturally increase.

I feel I should respond to this statement because of my knowledge in research/statistical methodology. The statement above, I feel, is demonstrating questionable cause logical fallacy (cum hoc ergo propter hoc) ... correlation proves causation.

If we let A be the statement, "those who are serious about their health". Let B be the statement "needs to cut out all soda and corn syrup". Let C be the statement "diabetes, and heart/blood problems, kidney stones, muscle loss..."

A --> B --> C .... and ... C --> B --> A

It is questionable because the causation which is illogical, however inferred in the statement is "IF we give up soda THEN we will not have diabetes, heart/blood problems, kidney stones, and muscle loss" in ALL CASES.

I do not have kidney stones, muscle loss, heart problems, blood problems, or diabetes, yet I drink diet sodas on a regular basis. Because my case invalidates the OP's statement, a causation does not exist. I agree a correlation exist.

Therefore, "Correlation does not imply causation"
  • RECowgill
    Options
    I feel I should respond to this statement because of my knowledge in research/statistical methodology. The statement above, I feel, is demonstrating questionable cause logical fallacy (cum hoc ergo propter hoc) ... correlation proves causation. <snip>

Like a wordsmith scientist mining for truth. :wink:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    If people feel that gave up drinking diet soda worked for them, then great. But it's anecdotal, just like when someone says that drinking Body by Vi or Shakeology was the reason ____________.
    Personally I've drank diet soda for over 30 years with no issues and problems that are associated by claims from some. I will say that some react differently to aspartame than others, but for the general public, there isn't enough factual information stating that diet soda is culprit for many peoples issue with weight. There are so many more factors involved.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kombuchabeauty
    Options
    thank you for finally writing this! I want to stop giving myself a hard time for occasionally having diet soda and hearing from people how bad it is for me... what about all the other healthy things I do? And you're right - people have been drinking diet soda for years and have been fine.

I also love when people "judge" me for drinking occasional diet soda - I try not to judge them for smoking cigarettes or getting ****-faced...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I don't doubt your knowledge, but I thought it was pretty well established that soda and corn syrup can contribute towards:
    * weight gain
    * muscle loss
    * diabetes
    * kidney stones

In addition to the reasons you suggest like genetics. I never said it was soda alone that caused these problems.
    Contribute yes, but your post was seem to steer toward it being actual cause.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • amills1152
    amills1152 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Same here, I have so much more energy WITHOUT caffeine - if you can just get past the initial caffeine withdrawal headache, you're golden!
  • Robbo1tp
    Options
    Awesome that's my next goal
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    congrats!, if it helps you feel better .. well then go for it and good luck with it! :smile:

as for me, I was a huge coke addict before starting this lifestyle, drinking it everyday 2-3 cups. Now I drink diet coke once or twice a week (one cup each day). Works for me, and helps me with the sugar/fizzy cravings I have. (not drinking it gives me cravings, when I do im just fine, as opposite as most of the ppl that have stopped drinking soda for that reason) All the water I drink helps me get rid off my body soon and ive never felt better :drinker:
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    I cut out fizzy drinks, seems to be helping.
  • ally04_28_13
    Options
    im trying so hard to cut it out but I get these horrible headaches when I don't drink it, any advice what can help me I really need to and want to quite drinking it all tougther
  • kealey1318
    kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I cut out all soda (my go to was Diet Coke) 3 months ago and haven't regretted it since! I did this a couple years ago and quit for a year, but that time I was just cutting out Diet Coke due to the aspartame and I was letting myself have the occasional other full calorie soda. Root beer became my gateway drug back into the wicked world of soda pop *chuckle* and I realized that the only way I was going to get control is if I quit ALL soda altogether.

It hasn't been as difficult as I had feared and I definitely don't have cravings as often or as intensely. Some days I would drink upwards of 64 oz of soda and, minimal, if any water. I am happy with my choice and wish you all the best!
  • kealey1318
    kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    im trying so hard to cut it out but I get these horrible headaches when I don't drink it, any advice what can help me I really need to and want to quite drinking it all tougther

Personally I went cold turkey and if the headaches got too bad I would take some ibuprofen. Good luck to you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!