why do you eat the way you do?

Options

Replies

• ebonypixie
    ebonypixie Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I typically eat a well rounded diet in relation to trying to balance my macros everyday. On a good day I can get about 80grams of protein in :) I focus on protein a lot because it leaves me satiated and less bloated than a high carb diet. I am gluten intolerant as of a couple months ago (and have chronic anaemia due to malabsorption) so I eat gluten free but try to stay away from processed 'gluten free' foods..so I eat a lot of rice, potatoes, meat and veg! Salads are a staple in work and I vary between slow releasing oats in the morning or bacon and eggs!

I use the TDEE defecit method and wear a Fitbit so if I have a slow day (TDEE 1700) I will eat about 1400-1500. If I have a crazy day (TDEE 2000+) I will eat about 1600-1700. I try to balance my net calories for the week so I can see where Ive gone right/wrong.

Now, all I have to do is get back on the exercise wagon (its suffered due to chronic anaemia) :P
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    TDEE isn't a type of diet. Everyone who counts calories is doing so based on their TDEE, whether they realise it or not.

Anyway. I eat basically what I want to eat, fitting it into my calorie goal first, and then fitting it into my macronutrient goal. I do this because I have a long history of emotional eating and I realised that in order for me to reach my goal, and to maintain any weight loss, I would not be able to be too restrictive with my diet. I knew that cutting out the foods I like would make me feel deprived and ultimately backfire at some point. So, maintaining a small calorie deficit while not feeling deprived has been my main priority.

Additionally, I do care about the nutritional content of my diet, so I have made gradual changes along the way and try to meet my macronutrient goals. I say "try" because it's a work in progress, but I'm very conscious of getting plenty of protein. I also aim to eat lots of vegetables and a wide variety of fruit, nuts, fish and meats.

As I move into maintenance, and I have a few more calories to play with, I'm going to be focussing on hitting my macros more consistently.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    TDEE isn't a type of diet. Everyone who counts calories is doing so based on their TDEE, whether they realise it or not.

I know TDEE isnt a "type" of diet. I wasnt quite sure how to *label* it based on my question. I think everyone got the idea tho.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    When I'm tracking intake, which I'm currently taking a short "break" from:

I eat with the following goals in mind:

1) Consume within the appropriate range of calories for my goal (2200-2400 for cutting, 3100-3200 for bulking)
    2) Consume at least 1g/lb LBM in protein and at least .35g/lb bodyweight in fat. I will usually go over these and I will ALWAYS average over these over the course of a week or so.
    3) I absolutely attempt to use some common sense with food selection. This means eating a lot of fruits and vegetables and fish and chicken and lean meats and almonds etc...
    4) And I also make sure to IIFYM like a boss and eat some ice cream regularly, or chips, or cake, or whatever I want.

I try not eat UNDER 200g carbohydrate when at a calorie deficit, for training intensity purposes.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    High protein but not low carb. Probably falls somewhere in the middle as far as carb intatake! I also try to include "good fats" everyday.. Nuts, olive oil, coconut oil, avacado, etc...
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I eat any old **** I fancy. I do try to eat more protein, though, because my protein intake has been woefully low in the past.

I also eat all the time (although after midday as currently seeing what effect skipping breakfast THE MOST IMPORTANT MEAL OF THE DAY will have on me). I do suspect that my neck is getting fragile as skipping THE MOST IMPORTANT MEAL OF THE DAY will result in my head falling off. If the world ends on 21st as predicted, then I accept full responsibility for skipping THE MOST IMPORTANT MEAL OF THE DAY. :bigsmile:
  • parmoute
    parmoute Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I eat everything I have always eaten but have added new items to it and I eat less nowadays.. but I don't deprive myself of anything.

^^ This.

But I also try to plan ahead so I can get as much food into my day while staying within my calorie budget. Really the only way to do that is to eat less junk food and eat lots more fruits and veggies. When I first started, carbs was the macro I paid most attention to because I really like carbs, but now that I'm working out more I'm paying more attention to the protein (and still falling quite short, so definitely a work in progress).
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I eat food I like which is fits in to my calorie goal and ideally is filling.
    It sounds appealing because I, well, eat food I like and don't feel hungry :).
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I eat my net calories, try to spread out my eating across the day (I mainly eat 5-6 times a day), make sure I eat plenty of protein and that my carb and fat intake is not too excessive, stay hydrated and I try to eat my 5 a day fruit and veg. Aside from these points, I eat what I want. I am rarely hungry and I think I am quite fit / healthy. I suppose that's a diet of sorts.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I do TDEE minus 15%. I eat .75 to 1g of protein per lean mass and don't bother about anything else. My moto is keep it simple!!!!
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I would call my diet "common sense balanced, high protein diet".

I eat from every food group, and a variety of everything. I'm not big on stressing out on if my food is local, organic, or non-GMO as that vs. whole foods really doesn't matter much if anything to the nutrient content of the food.

I eat lean meats, and on most days eat more saturated fats from plant sources (typically peanuts, coconut, olive oil) than animal.

I eat whole/or steamed veggies. I eat legumes including whole soybeans.

I eat this way to support my muscles, and overall health. I want to be athletic and strong (which for me means maintaining a lean weight well into the "overweight/obese" BMI range) while getting my nutrition from whole food as much as possible without resorting to supplements (including vitamins).
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I do pizza, burgers, steaks, McDonalds, Wendys, KFC, Taco Bell and Ben and Jerrys. Every day. I eat this way because this is food I enjoy, it's inexpensive, and I can lose weight eating them.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I simply stay aware of what I am eating each day by logging it here on MFP. I started because other programs weren't working and I knew it was time to look at my food choices and volume in order to accomplish my goals.
  • luckyclover78
    luckyclover78 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I eat a plant based vegan diet to manage my blood pressure without medication. There are too many side effects to medications for me to want to take them so if I can avoid them I'm going to. It's working for me so far. Going on one year and feeling great!
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I eat about 80% primal, 20% anything goes. Basically we (my boyfriend and I) don't eat pasta or bread or any gluten-containing products for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, but we do eat dairy and rice and don't count our carb intake per se, though it usually ends up being lower than average. I also do the vast majority of my cooking from scratch, which is important to me as well.

I admit I haven't looked much into the philosophy behind primal/paleo diets, but my boyfriend has done a ton of research into it and I trust him. I never ate much bread or pasta growing up anyway (Asian...), so it wasn't a major change for me. Plus, we still do that 20% of whatever we want... mostly desserts... that glass of Lillet, four cookies, and bowl of ice cream I had yesterday was NOT primal. Can you tell I have a sweet tooth? :) I'm worried that I'm going to have to cut that junk out (or at least down) sooner or later though, when I start worrying about getting my body fat down.

At the moment, calorically I am going off of what MFP is telling me, I think I'm netting about 1350 a day. On days I don't exercise, I find it really, really hard to stay under that, so after Christmas I'm going to think about upping that a little to see what happens. I haven't weighed myself since I started here 2 months ago, but I've lost a few inches and gotten a lot stronger (relatively) so I'm happy with my choices.
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I recently tried going wheat/gluten free after reading GorillaEsq's testimony(hilarious story,btw). I had pretty much the same results he did. Joint pain began to go away and I felt more energetic. Then Thanksgiving happened, and I just had to eat my daughter's delicious stuffing and homemade dinner rolls. Then a few days later ate another delicious yeast roll with some cream gravy at a breakfast. The agonizing joint pain (seemed even worse than pre-gluten free) was debilitating. I couldn't bend down to pick up something from the floor, and climbing stairs was nearly impossible. Needless to say, I decided eating wheat products, no matter how delicious, was not worth the pain it caused. After a week of gluten free, the pain has subsided considerably. My resolve to avoid gluten is reinforced just by remembering how much it hurts to give in just because something tastes good. I've decided that nothing tastes as good as pain-free feels!
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I do pizza, burgers, steaks, McDonalds, Wendys, KFC, Taco Bell and Ben and Jerrys. Every day. I eat this way because this is food I enjoy, it's inexpensive, and I can lose weight eating them.

omg yessss...the diet I have been looking for..\o/ What do you call it? :p Do you have research to back it up? Does Dr. Oz support it? Can I fit it in my 1200 calories? Will I gain muscle? ..*chuckles*
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    omg yessss...the diet I have been looking for..\o/ What do you call it? :p Do you have research to back it up? Does Dr. Oz support it? Can I fit it in my 1200 calories? Will I gain muscle? ..*chuckles*
    Yes.
    http://www.fathead-movie.com/

;)
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I eat probably 75% clean, high protein, decently high fat and 6-8 times a day.
    I would also never consider eating less than 1600 calories for any reason.

I eat like this because it suits my lifestyle, I enjoy it, I gives me better hair, skin and overall health, keeps my energy up and assists my training.
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Mostly veggie because i am not a big fan of meat and good stuff is so expensive!

Gluten free because it gives me awful indigestion and when i stopped eating it i lost 2 stone in about a month!

Lots of lentils, beans and pulses because they are cheap

coconut milk because its yummy!